Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Hi is my bike worth fixxing or just enjoy as is.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi is my bike worth fixxing or just enjoy as is.

Hi

My 1992 1100 kat was dropped at the dealers, in ~1997 the guy I got it from rode it with the left side messed up, when I shipped it up to Co from Az I broke off the Right side mirror turnsig.
    I have ~ 1800 in the bike, It has near 8K miles, I picked up some plastic but still need crowl, turn signals and mirrors. The chain is stretched.

Now I have it ( stored / protected from divorce, bankrupty courts ) at a pawn shop, should have a court stuff worked out this summer and pick the bike back up. costing me 45.00 a month but no one can take it LOL. ( I owe the IRS a lot of money long story)

Plan for sure is new tires, chain, rejet carbs and install mirrors/turn sig. Adjust the valves...

For the mirrors/turnsigs I was thinking about after market combo units but if I am going to rebuild the bike it would be cheaper in the long run to get stock replacments, do it correct the first time..

I get the feeling that there are not a lot of 1100 kats made so should I repair it? Is the plastic repairable? If not do I have to find the correct color plastic?

This is my 2nd bike but I have built 20 hipo cars.
    Fix it
    0.00%
    Ride it.
    100.00%
    William the Wild1
    Red 1992 1100 only dumped once by a little old lady, in 7K miles

Man, that's pretty crafty keeping it at a pawn shop...I've never thought of that (mental note). Do you have a deal goin with the owner or something?

Anyways, KEEP IT, FIX IT, RIDE IT! 1100's are so beautiful and rare...we'll help you!

Comment

- Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

Re: Hi is my bike worth fixxing or just enjoy as is.

Originally posted by Wild1_Robertson
        This is my 2nd bike but I have built 20 hipo cars.
        What are hipo cars?

Comment

hi-po.... HIgh PerfOrmance...
          a

gather 'round, children

Comment

Originally posted by Junior
            What are hipo cars?
            I think he meant high performance cars. So he knows how to turn a wrench.

Oh yeah I say fix it. If you are in a jam financially you will get more for it running right and looking good.
            92 Katana 600 Project bike
            Some assembly required is my middle name!!!

Comment

Ahhhhh... high performance..... gotcha.

Comment

kat 1100 are bad a$$ i'd say fix it - AFTER you pay your taxes.

tim

Comment

If you can I'd start scouting e-bay for parts..
                  Off the top of my head I'd say there are 200
                  Kat 600/750 parts for every 1100 part..
                  Maybe start squirreling them away little by little..

But with only 1800 into it.. I say keep it.

Comment

I have at least 8-9 turn signals as spares. At over $100 CDN each for the complete signal ($65 or so for the assembly and $40 for the lense), I tend to grab them off of ebay when I see them cheap. Never paid over $20 for one. I have some that are brand new. I have 4 tail sections if you need one. I also have a few of the side covers that run along under the seat. I have spare lower and upper fairings as well, but not sure about parting with them. Mirrors can be pricey. The mirror for the 92 is double the price for the 88, and is alot more rugged. I actually dropped the bike on the 88 mirror and it survived great. Any mirror after the 88 is a bit weak cuz of the swivel joint. It tends to loosen up and eventually just fall off. I have lost 3 mirrors over the last 13 years while riding. They just fall off....like they are sick of the ride. One of them I considered new...I purchased it from the dealer new, and 3 years later it went bouncing down the road. So if you wish to sacrifice the stylish look of the 92 mirrors over the ruggedness and cost of the 88's, I suggest you slap 88 mirrors on it. I also have one spare cowl that I intended to keep so I can have a complete set to repaint at my whim in case I just feel like changing the color, but if you are stuck in a real jam and can't find one, I might consider letting it go to help another fellow KRer out of a jam. I also have spare forks, swingarm, sprockets, triple trees, calipers and a few other odds and ends. I have owned the 1100 Kats for 13 years now and love it overall. I suggest you keep it if you can. No...wait. That might not be a good idea. I think you should sell it to me for $1000 and say to hell with the IRS
                    Seriously tho, if you need any help about anything, I might be able to offer my support seeing as I have owned one for so long. Just feel free to ask if you get stuck on something and I will help if I can.
                    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

oh...when you do ebay searches, aside from searching for "katana 1100", also do "katana gsx1100f", just plain "gsx1100f", as well as "gsxr1100f katana". Mix it up a bit cuz some things are not listed correctly and you can run across stuff most folks never see on ebay because of the limited search options they input.

There is not much on ebay at the moment, but there is one thing I suggest you grab now if you are serious about keeping the bike, which I think you should. It took me over a year to find a good used exhaust for mine because I didn't really care for the limited choice of what is available new. Here is a Yosh just like one I bought though Waltari on an ebay deal. If you can get it for around $250, it would be a good deal. It is brand new. I am keeping an eye on it also. If it goes cheap enuff, I might grab it for my second kat.

and cross reference some parts before buying them. For example, the air filter. If you go to the dealer for an oem filter, or a k&N, it is possible you will pay more because you are asking for the 88-94 1100F, in place of say one from an 88-05 600f or a 88-05 750f, which is the exact same part #SU-7592 (K&N). So ask the dealer the price from each. It makes no sense, but it is like $10 more if I ask for the 1100.
                      I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Thanks for the info I keep forgeting to search for gsx1100f
                        William the Wild1

Comment

Originally posted by kickitjp
                          Man, that's pretty crafty keeping it at a pawn shop...I've never thought of that (mental note). Do you have a deal goin with the owner or something?

Anyways, KEEP IT, FIX IT, RIDE IT! 1100's are so beautiful and rare...we'll help you!
                          No deal they pawn cars and bikes so as long as I give him 45 a month he keeps it.
                          William the Wild1

Comment

Originally posted by Gear Dog
                            Originally posted by Junior
                            What are hipo cars?
                            I think he meant high performance cars. So he knows how to turn a wrench.

Oh yeah I say fix it. If you are in a jam financially you will get more for it running right and looking good.
                            Sold this last year trying to keep house and wife, still lost the first paying dearly to get rid of 2nd.
                            Attached Files
                            William the Wild1

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
                              oh...when you do ebay searches, aside from searching for "katana 1100", also do "katana gsx1100f", just plain "gsx1100f", as well as "gsxr1100f katana". Mix it up a bit cuz some things are not listed correctly and you can run across stuff most folks never see on ebay because of the limited search options they input.

There is not much on ebay at the moment, but there is one thing I suggest you grab now if you are serious about keeping the bike, which I think you should. It took me over a year to find a good used exhaust for mine because I didn't really care for the limited choice of what is available new. Here is a Yosh just like one I bought though Waltari on an ebay deal. If you can get it for around $250, it would be a good deal. It is brand new. I am keeping an eye on it also. If it goes cheap enuff, I might grab it for my second kat.

and cross reference some parts before buying them. For example, the air filter. If you go to the dealer for an oem filter, or a k&N, it is possible you will pay more because you are asking for the 88-94 1100F, in place of say one from an 88-05 600f or a 88-05 750f, which is the exact same part #SU-7592 (K&N). So ask the dealer the price from each. It makes no sense, but it is like $10 more if I ask for the 1100.
                              Sweet pipe I have the same yosh pipe but I have rust on mine ( from Az go figure ) good advice thanks
                              William the Wild1

Comment

Working...
                              X