X

new bike?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new bike?

I'm going thru fits trying to decide 1) do I want a new bike? 2) if I do, which bike should I look at?

Here's the deal...I have a '95 600. It's got some goodies on it including nice soft bags, so it's good for some touring. But the position is a little too forward for my old neck and the 600 is a little buzzy on the long haul. I have some longish tours planned for the future and am thinking larger sport tourer. So, here's the bikes I think I'd like to look at. Input is appreciated, including whether to change or not.

Aprilia Futura. One at the local dealer now, 2004 with Stanetune system, 3700 miles, $9000.

Kawasaki Z750S, new, $7100.

Kawasaki ZZR1200. More GT than ST???

That's about the short list. Also, maybe update the Kat a little? Add that to the list...

Thanks for any help. I know you people love posts like this!! I sure do... 8)
    My first aid kit comes with lights and siren

But sir, we are Navy SEALs, we are supposed to be surrounded...

i sat on a ZX12, those are pretty comfy IMO. but you can't go wrong with a honda
    if its got 2 wheels or a skirt....i'll ride it.

Comment

I know Honda makes some great bikes; reliable, comfortable. VFRs come to mind. But for some reason Hondas as a whole just don't appeal to me. Go figuire

Comment

busa? its a kat on steroids
        if its got 2 wheels or a skirt....i'll ride it.

Comment

Originally posted by soccersteve
          busa? its a kat on steroids
          sounds about right
          Big Cory
          SBFMC 707
          2005 Hayabusa

Comment

If you're not concerned with big horsepower numbers, I have read onkly good things about that new Kawasaki 750. Same radiator as the Z1000 so no concern about shedding heat, comfortable seating, no full fairing makes for easy servicing.
            I would wait until after the first production year to let them find any bugs to work out. It seems like a lot of bike for a low price.

Comment

Well, I may be biased in this one. Out of your choices, and even out of so many more choices, the Aprilia has been rated as one of THE premier sport tourers on the market. The big thing I found with having a high HP bike for touring purposes is eating rear tires, but the Futura, in stock form, is a GREAT all around bike. Anyone that has ever bought one has loved it. The stock seat is comfortable, the bags are large and roomy. The suspension is excellent with hydraulic rear preload that can be adjusted on the fly. Headlights are some of the best in the industry.

I don't care for the ZZR's bag set up myself since when you remove the bags you have a big ass ugly rack still on the bike, but they will go like hell!
              My Futura has Staintunes, air box derestricted, with the 05 MAP aftermarket smoke screen, and throttle lock. Next up is an H-Pipe to get ride of the pre muffler and drop a few lbs. You might want to check out the aprilia forum yourself.

AF1 Racing is a top-rated authorized Aprilia, Vespa, Piaggio, Moto Guzzi, Zero, Energica, Ural and SWM

I may expand the search a bit for you though.

Honda VFR
              Bandit 1200S
              CBR Blackbird

You gonna keep the little Kat or replace it completely?
              Ron
              MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

Oops! Double post!

Email me if you want more info on any of the bikes I own.

[email protected]
                Ron
                MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

Got a few questions here.

Is the Kat paid off, or is there still money being paid into it?

Are you financially ready to get a new bike?

I would look at it this way. If you are financially able to get a new bike, and not happy with your current one, go for it. But if you are in a situation where, lets say you may be upside down a bit on a trade in for Kat to a upgrade, maybe you would want to hold off a bit, and get a few mods done to make the Kat more comfy for the long haul.

I have heard great things about the Kawi Touring bikes, and I think the ZZR1200 is one helleva looker. Really though, if you are gona be considering a new bike, get out there, get on some, see if they feel comfy, and if there is still buzzing in the bars, and how it makes your back feel. See what fits you the best before comiting to buying it. TEST RIDE!!!! Thats the only way you are gona find if the bike is a right choice for you, specially with back issues and what not.
                  Kan-O-Gixxer!
                  -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                  -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                  -Ohlins Susupension
                  -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by Lou
                    I have heard great things about the Kawi Touring bikes, and I think the ZZR1200 is one helleva looker. Really though, if you are gona be considering a new bike, get out there, get on some, see if they feel comfy, and if there is still buzzing in the bars, and how it makes your back feel. See what fits you the best before comiting to buying it. TEST RIDE!!!! Thats the only way you are gona find if the bike is a right choice for you, specially with back issues and what not.
                    That is some good advice, but there always seems to be one problem with it...at least in my experience. I just think it can be VERY difficult to find a bike that is truly comfortable just by a short test ride....and forget about knowing if you only sit on it. I have tried quite a few bikes through the years, and many that seem comfortable at the beginning can be otherwise after an hour or more.
                    So before actually testing one out, you might want to read some reviews first in order to get a general opinion from what others think. This way here you have a really good idea where to start. After all, I am betting your 600 seems pretty comfortable when you just hop on it.....but as you learned, it can get to you after a while.
                    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

I love my Kawi Concours...but it does have a slight buzz (nothing a throttle rocker wont fix)

The price is great too...bout 7500 with hardbags, lots of space and protection, and plenty of power!

I lked the Z1200 as well..just could not find any of them!
                      Always keep your head up

Matt

Comment

Forgot to add the big Bandit onto my list. It is one bike I've considered. The Conie is a great bike but is too upright and transfers my torso weight to my lower back=a bad thing. The same isn't true for the other bikes mentioned, least not for my build. The Bandit might be a long term problem, that's where a nice long test ride is needed. The Aprilia Futura at the dealership is on consignment, so getting a long test ride on it is pretty much out of the question, so I think I'm gonna just let it go...plus the salesman is "you can't expect long test rides, even on new bikes blah-blah-blah". I'll go over to Seattle and check out what they've got.

Comment

Not sure what you mean by "long term problem", but I have done numerous 1000 mile days on my Bandit and LOVE it!

If you are looking for the best bang for the buck, the Bandit is REALLY hard to beat. It is one of the most underrated bikes out there in my opinion. I LOVE mine! It is a canyon carver, sport tourer, torque monster brute of a muscle bike. In short, a jack of all trades, master of none. A few minor mods can have them breathing fire and handling great!

You can also pick them up used dirt cheap.
                          Ron
                          MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

By long term problem I mean that after a long time in the saddle, will my lower back be on fire? That more upright seating position can raise havoc with my lower back, whereas the pitched forward position of a TL1000R, say, can lead to pain in my beat up old neck!! What's a guy to do, besides not play contact sports as a youth or wreck bikes as a 20 something drinkaholic. That's where my Katana has been so good, neither neck nor back problems occur for a couple of hundred miles, making it a good commuter. But as you know, 200 mile days make for a long trip coast to coast!

Oh yeah...if I move to another bike the Katana will have to go...

Comment

Great article on the Bandit...

Comment

Working...
                              X