X

Is it possible to flood an engine?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to flood an engine?

Hi all.....I WAS going to go out for a cruise this afternoon and I had trouble getting the bike to fire up. Is it possible I may have flooded the engine? In desperation I tweaked the throttle a few times while it was turning over....and I also managed to drain my battery. It's charging right now. Will it clear up on it's own or is there more I can do on my part. She ran fine yesterday.
    sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
    ------------------------------------------
    89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
    96 YZF 1000R

Of course its possible to flood an engine. Take out your spark plugs and let the unburnt fuel clear out if thats what happened. Once that airs out for a while and the plugs are dried put them back in. If it doesn't start, then you have another problem.

Comment

Thanks for the advice...... I think I'll put in new plugs and fuel filter tomorrow while I'm at it.
      89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
      96 YZF 1000R

Comment

No problem man. Happens a lot with carb'd engines.. if it doesn't start it just keeps putting in fuel, eventually there is too much to run, ya know?

Hope it clears up for you

Comment

I'm letting it sit overnight with a battery charger on it. Would/should I choke it in the morning or leave the choke off and full throttle before hitting the start switch?
          89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
          96 YZF 1000R

Comment

First off.........Sexy looking bike

Make sure to check your oil to make sure gas didnt make its way down past the pistons. Remove your oil filler cap and take a whif......
            Next time give the bike a little choke to see if it starts better.

Comment

Ditto on the bike!!!..... I'm trying to learn its quirks and this was the first time it wouldn't fire up for some reason. I'll wait and see what tomorrow brings.
              89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
              96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Where abouts in Canada are you?

Comment

No no no . Just let it sit overnight , then try to start it like usual the next day , and take a good long run to make sure all the carbon gets burned off . If you're REALLY worried and it's aboot due , change the oil .
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
                    No no no . Just let it sit overnight , then try to start it like usual the next day , and take a good long run to make sure all the carbon gets burned off . If you're REALLY worried and it's aboot due , change the oil .
                    no no no? If his bike isn't starting and he wants to get it started quick the thing to do is take out the plugs to get any fuel in the cylinders out, then let it sit for a while so the plugs and everything else can dry, then try again.

I don't see where the no is.

Comment

Because I've flooded many a bike due to bad carbs , and sitting overnight is usually all it took to dry it out enough to get it started the next day (sometimes not even THAT long) . "Been there , done that" & all . If you're in a hurry , yeah , pop the plugs , put in your spare set ( you DO keep spares under the seat , doin't you ?) , and try again with no choke and some throttle manipulation . Been there , done THAT , too .
                      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                      X