X

quick question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quick question

ok so I have a 92 600 kat and Im ajdusting the shim valves and I get the head off and turn the motor so the T mark lines up and all and in the chilton in says that you turn it so that the right-hand cam lobes face in then you are suppose to measure clearance between rocker arm and shim on intake and exhaust on cyl 1 exhaust on cyl 2 and intake on cyl 3 then spin the lobes opposite and measure the other ones. now here is my issue when the cam lobes on the far right cyl (cyl 4) are facing in the lobes on cyl 1 are pushing on the rocker arms so naturally are pushing on the shims so you can measure clearance because there is no clearance at that point. some help would be amazing! thanks guys in advance.

.................................................. ...................................

There, you can have those. Now you have plenty, use them.

I'm really trying to follow, but I can't make heads or tails of your post... Not trying to be a smarta**, but I can't follow...
    None of us are as dumb as all of us.....

“To do what ought to be done, but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.”
    -Robert Morrison

"
    well, i havent beat katana hero on expert level yet chris" -katanawarrior

"I believe in the free speech that liberals used to believe in, the economic freedom that conservatives used to believe in, and the personal freedom America used to believe in"

Comment

Ok so...(used some there!) I was working on adjusting the valves on my 92 600 kat. They are shim valves. My chilton book told me to take off the head. So I did that. Then I turned the motor until the lobes on the cam shafts were pointing out over the 4th cyl. like the book said. Then I am suppose to measure the clearance between the shim and the rocker arm in the 1st cyl exhaust and intake, the 2nd cyl exhaust, and the 3rd cyl intake. Then turn the motor so that the lobes over the 4th cyl face in and measure all the other intakes and exhausts. The problem with this is when they ask you to measure those, the lobes are already pushing down on the rockers onto the shim. So naturally there is no clearance to measure. Did mis-understand the book? Or did I miss something?
      Also another quick question. After you measure the clearance you have to move the rocker arm to the side to get the shims out. What did you guys use to move em? I couldn't get em to budge.

Comment

Always measure the clearances with the cam lobes pointing up and away from the cylinder you are measuring. This pic is from the nut-adjuster type engine, but the concept is the same -- note the cam lobe compared to the valve tappet location:

Rotate the engine additionally before measuring each cylinder to put the cam for that cylinder in the right place. There is no single position that lets you measure all the cylinders at the same time correctly.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

ooooohhhh! thank you very much!!! ok so my other question still stands. what did you guys use to move the rocker arm so it would rest on the spring retainer? I couldn't get it to budge

Comment

same problem

i had the same problem... and after i fixed it i had to bring it to the shop to get fixed!!! DOH

Comment

Originally posted by philwecksr View Post
              .................................................. ...................................

There, you can have those. Now you have plenty, use them.

Last edited by Nero; 07-10-2008, 08:23 PM.
              =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

not to wonder why i only buy Factory or Clymer service manuals. the heck with haynes and chilton for most bikes, they always seem to leave ya hangin
                99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

well I ordered it from chilton but they sent be a clymer. The books just says use appropriate tool to move rocker arm to rest on the spring retainer. or something to that effect.... no dam description of "appropriate tool" so im just sitting here and waiting.....

Comment

still wondering what you guys used to move the rocker arm off of the shim so you can replace the shims. thanks guys.

Comment

Motion Pro - High quality cables, tools and controls for motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles and personal watercraft.

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

so you hold the sprnig retainer down while you get the shim out with that? will it hurt anything to let the rocker are back down before you get the new shim in there? or do you have to hold it the whole time?

Comment

You can set it back down.

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

ok thank you so much! Ill def let you guys know how it turns out haha. I have a bad feeling its just mroe than that that is wrong, it had been sitting for like 2 and a half years before I got it just recently. I plan on doing the valve adjustment and cleaning out fuel lines and carbs also. it would turn on before but only on full choke and if I touched the gas it would die right away. any quick off the top of the head diagnoses?

Comment

Long as you're adjusting the valves, change oil,filter, check the fuel filter, remove and check fuel petcock for any debris/sediment, replace plugs, check all vacuum hoses and caps for cracks/splits. Once you give it a good once over, that will probably be sufficient to get her running right. While you are at it, check/flush brake systems, check pads and inspect tires for age - no sense in getting her running 100%, if you can't stop her or the tires fail.
                              2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
                              2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Working...
                              X