X

Ignition Advancer is on!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition Advancer is on!

Well, I tackeled this in about 45min. It was 3am....couldn't sleep....so on it went. My only mistake.....be sure to try loosening the center hex....NOT the stock advancer hex itself....

I tried with no avail (because I didn't fully read the directions)

After getting the stock one off...its a simple alignment of the dowel/backing and viola....tighten the hex back in, seat the gasket, bolt on the cover and you're ready to roll.

By far the EASIEST thing I have done yet. I recommend it as well.....start-up seems to happen much faster, haven't experienced it on the road yet....started to sprinkle.

I got the Vance and Hines Advancer from Speacial K. I will buy from you again......ultra fast shipping and all around friendly guy.
    My sig is boring.

That will probably be my next engine mod
    Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder.

Comment

congrats man, everyone who's done this has good things to say as well.

Comment

Yup, so far the easiest mod (and my first). Throttle response seems quicker throughout the rpm range. I'm quite happy for such a relatively inexpensive and easy mod.

Not quite as cheap and easy as turning the distributor, but what the hey...
        '95 Suzuki GSXF Katana 600
        PurpleonBlack

Comment

Good deal! I love mine, my favorite mod so far as well!

Comment

Knightrider, good work. I think I speak for many of us when I say "Review!!!".
            Ride like your life depends on it.

Comment

I would have to say I have much more throttle response around 3000-7000....when you roll on the throttle from a stop, the bike ACTUALLY responds with some new found torque. Enough to notice on stop and go trips and when getting onto the higway. The bike seems to be a little happier when starting up too....doesn't seem to take as many times turning over before its idling.

I say GO FOR IT.
              I rode for about 15 minuets and noticed a much happier power band....seems a little flatter now..no more waiting till 5000 for the bike to begin moving with gusto. Also, around town, bike didn't mind being in low rev situations.....idle remained constant.

Thanks Speacial K for the great buy.
              My sig is boring.

Comment

How much did that cost you from Mr. K....If you dont mind. Just curious.
                Um I dont know any wise quotes so go read katansoldiers quote in his signature!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Cute Pittbull, I want a American Staffordshire Terrior (so similar, but shorter, broader face)

Anyway, on topic:

I hope he doesn't mind me posting the price. $45.00 including shipping. Not bad, I've found most for that plus shipping, or more.

Go for it.
                  My sig is boring.

Comment

Does anyone know if using higher octane fuel (93-ish) is necessary when an advancer is installed? That would help to reduce detonation and possibly add power.

Are there any known drawbacks? I've heard mention of running hotter. True?
                    Ride like your life depends on it.

Comment

I'll put that on my list of upcoming projects!

Comment

I have always used 91-93 Octane because I figure.....our engines sucumb(sp) to many heat/cool cycles during a ride....and I don't want to risk detonation.

As for any drawbacks, none come to mind as of yet. The only thing I can imagine is fuel mileage suffering a couple of mpg because of my new found power.
                        My sig is boring.

Comment

Originally posted by SoloScott
                          Does anyone know if using higher octane fuel (93-ish) is necessary when an advancer is installed? That would help to reduce detonation and possibly add power.

Are there any known drawbacks? I've heard mention of running hotter. True?
                          if it pings raise the octane one level - the kat was built to run on 87. with the advancer & hot summer days i run 89.

tim

Comment

I might add that to future my mod list....

Comment

the octane rating has spawned many a heated debate...
                              here is a particularly good one from the CB750/900/1100F website:

i *have* to run 93 in my CB bike, as the advanced ignition and moderate compression (and engine wear--1980) make it otherwise ping like an SOB at low revs, especially in hot weather... in fact, this has been my experience with most air and air/oil cooled I-4 bikes... i have run race gas in this bike, and ALL pinging was quashed, not to mention noticably improved low end response... besides, i love the way it smells when its burning ... of course, at $4.50+/gal, it isnt very economical...
                              consequently, i have not yet put anything but 93 into the kat... i figured it was worth the extra $0.50 per tank...
                              a

gather 'round, children

Comment

Working...
                              X