No announcement yet.
X

Do you warn fellow riders speed traps?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you warn fellow riders speed traps?

You're riding along, and you go past a cop sitting on the other side of a bridge or maybe he's tucked back in some bushes off to the side of the road... do you flash your high beam off and on a few times to warn oncoming riders if there happens to be one heading in your direction? wave your hand with the universal slow down signal? or use the well known police signal by waving ur finger around in a circle over your head?

Or maybe you just yell at them at the top of your lungs and hope they hear ya ?

Do you warn oncoming cagers of the cops too?

I try too warn riders if they are oncoming towards a speedtrap, but I dont wanna make it seem THAT obvious if Im not out of his line of sight. Yeah, there's no law against it, but if he's having a bad day, he'll find a reason to pull me over and be a pain in the arse.

If Im in my car, I'll warn oncoming motorists of speedtraps, but on the bike, most cagers have no clue what our hand signals mean, other than the usual left and right turn hand gestures, so there's not much point in warning them... and flashing ur headlight only seems to get a minimal reaction in my experience.

Comment

What about patting the head? I thought that meant 'cops ahead'. If I see a biker or cager coming into a speed trap, I'll warn them.

After passing a speed trap, I have flashed at least 2 cops heading towards me in the past (no reaction). Oops
      Ride like your life depends on it.

Comment

Yeah I'll warn them. Although, funny you should mention this topic, up in Utah there was a cop that sat in the same area as a speed trap just about every day. The snow from the snow plows prevented anyone from seeing him until it was too late. However, one day, someone decided to stop a ways before his spot, and spraypainted a warning sign in the snow bank
        Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it.

Comment

:taptap cherry on top

Comment

Originally posted by Katana600Tao
            Yeah I'll warn them. Although, funny you should mention this topic, up in Utah there was a cop that sat in the same area as a speed trap just about every day. The snow from the snow plows prevented anyone from seeing him until it was too late. However, one day, someone decided to stop a ways before his spot, and spraypainted a warning sign in the snow bank
            First of all that is helerious

Yes I will flash my lights , there is nothing more I hate then a speed trap if you can not see the cop at all . I think it is unfair .
            Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder.

Comment

Originally posted by SoloScott
              What about patting the head? I thought that meant 'cops ahead'. If I see a biker or cager coming into a speed trap, I'll warn them.
              I tap the helmet too. Im always affraid that the Harley guys think Im tapping my helmet as if to say "where a lid"
              Visit www.knee-draggers.com And sign up now!

Comment

I warn others of cops ahead whether I'm riding or caging. I usually just flash my headlights and most people seem to respond either by flashing theirs back or waving as if to say 'thanks!'
                Keep the rubber side down!

Comment

I usually flash my headlights. Although I have heard about people getting tickets for doing this. I think that the charge was improper use of headlights.

Comment

I usually flash my headlights....some people get the warning, other people just get pissed off at me...ah well, you can only try to help so much
                    Nick www.naskie18.com Googletalk: naskie18 AIM: naskie18

Comment

Yeah, it's tough at night - the cops can still see your lights until you turn a curve.

While we're sort of on the subject, does anyone ever get harassed by cops while on their bikes? There was one in a parking lot in a speed trap on a 25mph backroad on my way in to work today. When he saw me he pulled out and followed me for a few turns then pulled off again...
                      Keep the rubber side down!

Comment

I do. I always just try and gestured 5-0 (all five fingers, then make a zero with my hand) a couple times, and then point behind me. I'd say 95% of the time, they get what I'm trying to hand gesture cause the brake lights come on, haha. Never knew there was the patting of the head, or circle thing?
                        2002 R1
                        Yoshi TRS exhaust, Undertail, Ohlins Steering Stabilizer, Dark Windshield, Frame Sliders.

Comment

I usually warn people...even in my car

I know there is a website somewhere with the correct rider hand signals for all types of riding...I will try and find it!
                          Always keep your head up

Matt

Comment

There are several variations to these
                            Always keep your head up

Matt

Comment

any sportbike i pat the helmet - cruisers... why bother

tim

Comment

Working...
                              X