Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trinc
    any sportbike i pat the helmet - cruisers... why bother

tim
    Yeah funny I have never ever seen a cruiser pulled over. Guess they are frigging afraid of them hulks on those harleys and besides they ride in groups of 1500 pounds or more....lol. I have never been pulled over by a cop yet.....7 years riding......have gone past them.....got waved by a female cop.....but never ever pulled over. Guess the Katans is just not an intimidating bike as those yamahas and gsxrs.....

Comment

Slow down signal . Most seem to understand that one .
      Originally posted by Need4Speed
      but on the bike, most cagers have no clue what our hand signals mean, other than the usual left and right turn hand gestures,
      Not around here they don't . I used to use the left/right turn hand signals all the time , but not a single cager seems to understand what the hell I'm doing . I think they see it as a threat or something .
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Tap on the helmet means po-po's...thumbs up means "hammer time!"

Comment

I warn as often as possible.

I seriously dislike the concept of 95+% of speed traps -- mostly because speed limits are often set by some GED diploma guy from the local signage department of the traffic division of the city works dept (either just rough-estimating, or the 85/15 rule) and not by some reasonable basis. There's enough basis to go after bad drivers that you don't need to sit and write tickets for inability or unwillingness to comply with restrictions when they do not affect safety. More cops on crime, less on traffic infarctions :P

Hmmm..
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by JDS
            While we're sort of on the subject, does anyone ever get harassed by cops while on their bikes? There was one in a parking lot in a speed trap on a 25mph backroad on my way in to work today. When he saw me he pulled out and followed me for a few turns then pulled off again...
            Actually ... Out here cops seem to turn a blind eye towards bikers unless they are just being stupid.

Yeah funny I have never ever seen a cruiser pulled over.
            Funny you should mention that, my friend drives a Vulcan 1500 cruiser and he actually got pulled over for going too slow on his way back from Vegas
            Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Katana600Tao
              Originally posted by JDS
              While we're sort of on the subject, does anyone ever get harassed by cops while on their bikes? There was one in a parking lot in a speed trap on a 25mph backroad on my way in to work today. When he saw me he pulled out and followed me for a few turns then pulled off again...
              Actually ... Out here cops seem to turn a blind eye towards bikers unless they are just being stupid.
              That seems to be the case around here, too
              Nick www.naskie18.com Googletalk: naskie18 AIM: naskie18

Comment

I guess I'm in the minority here... I WILL NOT warn someone that is obviously speeding of a speed trap ahead. My reason is this: you shouldn't be speeding in the first place on a populated road with potential hazards (animals, blind curves). Where I live (in a mountainous area well traveled by bikes and cages alike) the road is nice and curvy and is on the way up to a very popular road that bikes and cages love to drive (tons of twisties and on an incline). Problem is, all of the people from town come up on the weekends and fly up and down the highway with no regard to the speed limit. This causes more accidents that usually involve residents that were minding their own business. Also, now that it's riding season, the cops will harass anyone on a sportbike because the asshats from town usually ride on the highway in excess of 100mph (speed limit is 50mph).

I guess my feeling is that people are always in such a damn hurry these days. If you want to kill yourself, fine, just leave me out of it.
                Hate is a special kind of love I have for people that suck.

http://www.nmburn.com (#73-Defensive Tackle/Offensive Guard)

Hi. :bigfinger Cram it.

Comment

I normally just flash my headlights. Its the universal way of saying Cop Ahead in a car so figured it should work for a bike. It usually seems to work cause after I do it, if I look in my mirror I see all kinds of people hitting there brakes.
                  -jason

Welcome to Katriders! Click Here to Register

RIP ROB (AKA BREEZE)

Comment

Originally posted by kulbiker
                    Originally posted by trinc
                    any sportbike i pat the helmet - cruisers... why bother

tim
                    Yeah funny I have never ever seen a cruiser pulled over. Guess they are frigging afraid of them hulks on those harleys and besides they ride in groups of 1500 pounds or more....lol. I have never been pulled over by a cop yet.....7 years riding......have gone past them.....got waved by a female cop.....but never ever pulled over. Guess the Katans is just not an intimidating bike as those yamahas and gsxrs.....
                    Ive seen tons of cruisers pulled over. Ive met a cop that told me he will often let cruisers go if the attitude is ok, but if you are on a "rice burner" you will 99.9% of the time get ticketed. He was a friend of mine, and I let him know that his policy was stupid
                    Visit www.knee-draggers.com And sign up now!

Comment

I actually got pulled over one night for flashing my headlights to warn someone of a speedtrap. there was one cruiser running radar and 2 up ahead doing the pulling over. they saw me flash my lights. he threatened to write me a ticket and I called BS. I just told him that I flash my lights even when I don't see a speedtrap if I think someone is driving too fast at night....strictly for safety reasons....and I will go to court with that story if I have to. He didn't write the ticket, but he went all over my car looking for something wrong. He found nothing...so he runs me through the computer. All he could say was that I had a criminal record. I just said, "ya...like 15 years old...so what?" He had no choice but to let me go.

as far as warning others.....it is a selective choice. I warn all sportbikes...some cruisers....and maybe the harleys if I am in a good mood.
                      As for the cages...it depends. If they are driving a $40k+ vehicle...screw them...they can afford the ticket. Same with the young punks with all kinds of bling bling gadgets on the car.
                      I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Cruisers use alot more hand signals than sportibikers do, in my experience.. alot of it has to with being old school and relying on hand gestures as the major means of communicating.. also with so many cruisers going on group rides so its necessary in that fashion as well, that it just carries over into everyday riding as well.

Comment

I do it on the bike and in the Jeep, especially now I am commuting.
                          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

I signal the Officer with a Big Wave!
                            Kan-O-Gixxer!
                            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                            -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                            -Ohlins Susupension
                            -Various Other Mods

Comment

Yes to both, in the cage and off. Usually with the
                              lights, someone saved me just the other day.
                              'Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose and sometimes it rains" !

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
                                There was one cruiser running radar and 2 up ahead doing the pulling over.
                                You know that's illegal right? Only the cop who actually radar'd you over the speed limit is legally allowed to write you a ticket. If I got pulled over in a situation like this I would ask to see the radar measurement indicating the speed at which I was traveling. Even though it's illegal cops still do it because most people don't fight traffic violations. Same rules apply to aircraft observation. If you take it to court both the issuing officer and the person who did the measurement have to show up or it's thrown out as hearsay.

Comment

Working...
                                X