X

Magnetic tankbag WARNING!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnetic tankbag WARNING!!

I posted this back in the old KP days but think it is worth another shot.
    I love my magnetic tankbag, but one time while gassing up, I set it on the ground. After fillup, I put it back in position and continued my trip. At the end of the day I found MAJOR scratches (gouges) in my tank paint.
    What happened?? A pebble stuck itself to the padding under the magnets and the subsequent shifting around during riding just had that pebble scratching away!! So either put tankbag on your seat while gassing or wipe off bottom with hand before putting it back. A Suzuki decal now sits on top of the scratches!!!!

+1 good warning.
    I noticed mine made marks in my new paint..

Comment

That, and make sure you don't get any metal shavings stuck on the magnets under there, as they'll do a number on your paint too!
      '97 YZF1000R, '98 & '02 Bandit 1200's, '72 XS-2, '97 CBR900RR Project, '85 700 Interceptor, '75 RD350

Comment

ya...never set it on the ground like that. small pebble that have metal content in them will stick for sure. I learned that the hard way quite some time ago.
        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

yea someone mentioned back in the old KP days that they took thier magnetic tank bag into work with them and set it on thier desk or floor something like that and it got a bunch of staples stuck to the bottom of it and scratched up thier tank. i always put mine on my seat while filling up with gas. but yes, if you have to set it down on the ground, good to wipe it off with your hand before putting it back on.

good warning.
          -jason

Welcome to Katriders! Click Here to Register

RIP ROB (AKA BREEZE)

Comment

I tend to set mine on my seat while refueling. At work I stick it to the side of my filing cabinet ( I get some wierd looks from co-workers, but it works)

Comment

You should also remember to keep it away from magnetic media at work. I bought some of that foam like shelf liner to put under my bag. It gives it more grip and I can shake off anything that gets stuck to it.

Comment

No tank bags for me, thanks... I'll stick to back-packs, seat bags, saddlebags or my givi luggage. I just don't like having anything in between me and the controls other than the bike (matter of preference).

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                  No tank bags for me, thanks... I'll stick to back-packs, seat bags, saddlebags or my givi luggage. I just don't like having anything in between me and the controls other than the bike (matter of preference).

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  I know what you mean, but that is why I went with a pretty low profile tank bag. I can't imagine riding with some of the hugh ones that I see people with.

Comment

don't set it near your bike key either. I did that one day and grabbed my bag to go riding at couldn't find my key. I hunted everywhere and the spare was at my place (I was at my parents). I looked for like 2 hours and finally asked my mom to give me a ride home to get the spare. When I got back to my mom's to get my bike, I grabbed the tank bag and was ready to leave when my mom asked what that was stuck to my tankbag. It was my key. GRRR!
                    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

thanks for the heads up! good call!

I use my tank bag almost every day, but forunately, mine has a shoulder strap so I just sit it on my seat while filling up, then sling it over my shoulder if I need to pay inside.

Comment

The only control in front of a normal-sized tank bag is the ignition switch, right? Not such a problem...:P Would you change your mind if they came out with a Hello Kitty version? That would be too cool for words!

BTW, don't put floppy discs or other magnetic storage media in there...
                        '97 YZF1000R, '98 & '02 Bandit 1200's, '72 XS-2, '97 CBR900RR Project, '85 700 Interceptor, '75 RD350

Comment

I use my tank bag almost every time I ride, and I hardly ever get off my bike for fuel. We have to prepay in OK, so I just put my tank bag on the side of the fuel pump. Or mine is narrow enough, I just turn the bag to gain access to the filler nozzle. I never, never, set my bag on the ground.
                          2000 Kat 600
                          "Fast Blue"
                          Pic in Profile

Comment

the jr manta tank bag is so small, u hardly even know its there, and its perfect for going to work and such. just big enough for the basics.

Comment

I got rid of my magnetic bag because of the road sand it would catch thru the winter and scratch the paint everytime I took it off to refill. I went to a padded snap on which doesn't scratch because it 'pops' off vs. 'sliding' off.
                              My first aid kit comes with lights and siren

But sir, we are Navy SEALs, we are supposed to be surrounded...

Comment

Working...
                              X