Luggage question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SlipKid
    I use American Tourister.... Just kidding! I've got a GIVI wingrack set-up on my VFR with hard top and side cases. I'd highly recommend it, as it can be fitted to the Kat as well...
    What they hey was that -- requoting yourself without comment?

Hmmm...
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Whoops, that was stoopid...
      '97 YZF1000R, '98 & '02 Bandit 1200's, '72 XS-2, '97 CBR900RR Project, '85 700 Interceptor, '75 RD350

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
        I use American Tourister.... Just kidding! I've got a GIVI wingrack set-up on my VFR with hard top and side cases. I'd highly recommend it, as it can be fitted to the Kat as well...
        What they hey was that -- requoting yourself without comment?

Hmmm...
        =-= The CyberPoet
        post whoring

Hey slipkid, where did you purchase your setup?
        > Vince <

05 Katana 600
        97 Mustang GT
        95 GMC K2500 4x4

Comment

All you gotta do is search for "Givi" , and you'll find TONS of places to get them ... I did the backpack thing for a while , too . Enough room to carry some tools and a bag of groceries . Saddlebags are nice , but not lockable , which kinda sucks . You could also get a luggage rack (see my ride profile) , then add a trunk to it for lockable storage for alot cheaper than the Givi stuff , which definatley AIN'T cheap .
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
            All you gotta do is search for "Givi" , and you'll find TONS of places to get them ... I did the backpack thing for a while , too . Enough room to carry some tools and a bag of groceries . Saddlebags are nice , but not lockable , which kinda sucks . You could also get a luggage rack (see my ride profile) , then add a trunk to it for lockable storage for alot cheaper than the Givi stuff , which definatley AIN'T cheap .
            He's right. Givi bags don't usually come cheap -- but they are the ultimate. I have a set on my Kat... Close 2nd is BBags, which are also awesome, but forfeit the backseat for luggage space (and actually carry more than the two-bag Givi arrangement).

KNOW THIS:
            For cheapest route to Givi, get the right racks (PL518 or PL525 for 98+ Kats -- either will fit) for about $160 new, and then scour eBay for suitable bags...

IF I COULD DO IT AGAIN:
            I wouldn't get color-matched bags, because Givi bags outlast bikes...
            The original color-matched color was a perfect match for my '00 Kat 600 (Red), but when I switched to an '01 Kat 600 (Blue) I couldn't get them repainted to match sucessfully (partially because I don't have a full spray booth, partially because it's Florida and the humidty was interfering). If I had just gone with the slightly cheaper neutral ABS plastic, they would have been suitable for both without repainting issues, and I wouldn't have had any concerns with the original paint scuffing either...

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by Cyber
              IF I COULD DO IT AGAIN:
              I wouldn't get color-matched bags, because Givi bags outlast bikes...
              he has a point.....I am on my 13th year with my set of givi and they are still as solid as the day I bought them.
              Just stay away from the dealer for Givi. If I was to replace my set here in Canada through the dealer, it would cost me in the area of $1200.
              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
                Just stay away from the dealer for Givi. If I was to replace my set here in Canada through the dealer, it would cost me in the area of $1200.
                I think the bags run like $285 US each new color-matched, about $260 US in unpainted plastic. If you want better pricing, I'll get myself set-up as a Givi dealer and sell them to you at a good discount.

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I think the bags run like $285 US each new color-matched, about $260 US in unpainted plastic. If you want better pricing, I'll get myself set-up as a Givi dealer and sell them to you at a good discount.
                  That is not too far off from what the dealer wanted. 3 x $260 = $780.
                  What is a mounting rack? $200 or so? That is close to a grand right there. Add the exchange rate and you are up to the $1200 CDN.

Speaking of the rack.....does your have integrated parking lights/turn signals? Mine does. I have to remove my stock signals on my kat cuz the rack bolts to the same part of the bike as my flashers do.

Comment

What is a mounting rack? $200 or so?
                    $160 is the best price I found, $195 - $220 is typical.

Speaking of the rack.....does your have integrated parking lights/turn signals? Mine does. I have to remove my stock signals on my kat cuz the rack bolts to the same part of the bike as my flashers do.
                    The rack on mine bolts through the blinker stock holes, and the stock blinkers get relocated to the rear of the racks, which moves them up and outwards some. Heat-shrink tubing and a bit of silicone over the added wires I soldered in, and then zip-tied them to the rack to route them back to the bike with color-matched (i.e. - black) zipties.

Cheers
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I pieced-together my set-up on eBay for a reasonable cost. I usually end-up buying the bike -specific wingrack mounting kits new when I change bikes though...

www.giviusa.com should give you info on at least what kits are available for what bike.
                      '97 YZF1000R, '98 & '02 Bandit 1200's, '72 XS-2, '97 CBR900RR Project, '85 700 Interceptor, '75 RD350

Comment

The rack on mine bolts through the blinker stock holes, and the stock blinkers get relocated to the rear of the racks, which moves them up and outwards some. Heat-shrink tubing and a bit of silicone over the added wires I soldered in, and then zip-tied them to the rack to route them back to the bike with color-matched (i.e. - black) zipties.
                        you don't have the wing rack like this with the lights already built in? This is what I have.

[img][/img]

Comment

you don't have the wing rack like this with the lights already built in? This is what I have.

[img][/img]
                          No, I have the steel (not plastic) racks... You can see them in this pic on my previous Kat:

Cheers
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I have the wingrack like Mojoe's on my VFR. The lights are an add-on kit for where the stockers might interfere with the rack (not necessary on all models). Anyway, the wingrack is powder-coated die-cast aluminum, not plastic...

Comment

No, I have the steel (not plastic) racks... You can see them in this pic on my previous Kat:
                              Slipkid is right...aluminum. No plastic on mine at all. It is quite solid.
                              This is what it looks like on mine. When you were quoting a price, was it for one like yours or the wingrack?

[img][/img]

Comment

Slipkid is right...aluminum. No plastic on mine at all. It is quite solid.
                                This is what it looks like on mine. When you were quoting a price, was it for one like yours or the wingrack?
                                I never knew they were aluminum... always thought they were metal-reinforced plastic. I was quoting mine. Never tried to price the others.

KNOW THIS:
                                I got hit from behind by a Dodge van at a stop sign (me stopped, van doing maybe 5 to 10 mph). The ends of my rack on the left side can-openered the side of the van for most of the length of the van. I never went down (but did get pushed forward several feet). Damages to the bike: cracked blinker lens (rear). Damages to the van: I'd estimate in excess of $3k - new body panels, paint, labor.

Cheers
                                =-= The CyberPoet
                                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                                X