X

Ok another hauling question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok another hauling question

So I finally got my new/used vehicle yesterday, and measured the box. . .78 inches. Katana length 84 inches. Obviously with the tailgate down, this won't be an issue hauling it. Does anyone actually know the wheelbase length, from wheel to wheel? I would assume it is short enough to fit in the box itself. Also, does anyone haul the kat kitty corner in there box? there is more then enough room to haul it if it goes in that way? or is that a risky maneuver? Thanks for the help guys. By looking at Speedees pic on my last post, it looks like the kat will fit in the box without the tailgate on, but I want reassurance. If it helps my truck is a dodge dakota extended cab.

We've put my bike in the back of a little Nissan pickup with the gate down a few times , no problems . Putting it in corner to corne sounds REALLY iffy for a few reasons I can think of . For one , when you break , the weight will want to shift forward . With the bike stright on , it's less likely it'll go anywhere . But corner-wise , sliding sideways seems like a real possibility if there's the least bit of slack anywhere in the ropes ...
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
      We've put my bike in the back of a little Nissan pickup with the gate down a few times , no problems . Putting it in corner to corne sounds REALLY iffy for a few reasons I can think of . For one , when you break , the weight will want to shift forward . With the bike stright on , it's less likely it'll go anywhere . But corner-wise , sliding sideways seems like a real possibility if there's the least bit of slack anywhere in the ropes ...
      I agree. As long as it is strapped in good, it isn't going to go anywhere with the tail gate down.
      Kan-O-Gixxer!
      -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
      -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
      -Ohlins Susupension
      -Various Other Mods

Comment

Did you see this ?
        Please recheck the URL for the proper spelling. Or use our search box at the top of this page to find what you're looking for.

Comment

HEY, i have a 98 ranger step side, and i close the tail gate on my girl when shes in there, i do kitty corner it, the bed from front ot back is EXACTLY 6ft. so when i kitty corner it it fits fine, acutally perfect couldnt be an inch longer lol.

Comment

I had a '90 Dakota and I hauled my kat in it a few times....and my 1100 is longer than the 600's and 750's. I put mine in at an angle. I still put it in my trailer at an angle because it is a bit to long to put my ramp/tailgate up. I read the link you put md86.....it is ok, but they make a point to tell you not to drawn down the fron suspention too much cuz you can damage the seals. Well when I haul mine, most of the time I only use a 3 point anchor. Here is what you do with your dakota.

1- buy a set of those anchors that go into the holes on the bed rails.
            2- put the bike in on an angle and wedge the front tire up into the corner.
            3- run a strap through the front rim and draw it up with the front anchor. Just that alone will almost keep the bike standing on it's own, so you have to turn the steering to get the bike to come down on it's kickstand. (put a steel plate or a 1/2 - 3/4 in pc of plywood under the kickstand or it will dent the floor of your box.
            4-anchor down the rear nice and tight.

Most of the time I just have 3 straps.....one holding the front wheel secure into the corner.....and 2 holding down the rear. If I am on a long haul, I add two to the front.....for 5 straps total. I have never had an issue with putting my bike in on an angle. In fact, with the front wheel wedged in the corner and the back secured good, it doesn't go anywhere.
            I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Well alrighty then ! I don't haul my bike that often , so I guess you know better than I .

Comment

Well alrighty then ! I don't haul my bike that often , so I guess you know better than I .
                I am not saying you are wrong. I am just saying that I haul my bike alot and have yet to haul it straight cuz I have always been cursed with too short of a trailer or box. I did have one issue with hauling it on an angle. I hit a really bad bump in the road once and it bounced my bike sideways a bit and my exhaust tip got scratched, but it was a big ass bump...enough to rub my front tires on my car. Braking has never been a problem.
                I am not saying it is just as good as hauling it straight (I would if I could)....but I will say that it can be hauled at an angle if you do it right and anchor it down with good quality straps and drive accordingly.
                I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

With an extended cab, you shouldn't have a problem, the bike should fit with both wheels on the bed, but you probably won't be able to close the tailgate.

The bed on my Colorado should be about the same length as the one on your Dakota, and my bike fit in mine (straight) without a problem, but I couldn't close the tailgate, so I just locked it in at its 45 or 55 degree position (don't remember which one).

In that picture, actually, the back isn't strapped down at all, I only strapped down the front, and didn't have any issues with the bike wanting to move. In fact, if for some reason your rear tire ends up resting on the tailgate instead of the truck bed itself, I would recommend (a) getting a piece of wood to put under the bike's rear tire to distribute the load across the width of the tailgate, and (b) not tying the rear of the bike down very much, if at all, as you could easily put a nice sized dent in your tailgate when you hit bumps. I've seen a few people in the past who've done that on other trucks and been very upset about it later
                  Nick www.naskie18.com Googletalk: naskie18 AIM: naskie18

Comment

bed extenders work nice for that little added piece of mind!

Comment

Working...
                    X