No announcement yet.
X

How many more years of Kat production?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many more years of Kat production?

How many more years do you think Suzuki will continue the Kat? I cant help but think that with the popularity of the SV 650 and 1000 the kat is'nt going to start to drop off saleswise. Maybe next step for the kat is a naked or half faired version??????

I think the Kat's currently living its last year.
    -Steve

Comment

I thought so too, however I talked to a dealer a week ago or so, who said he hadnt heard anything either way yet.

But you know, this rumor has been flying around for years, that the Kat would be discontinued, but every year, she keeps making a comeback.

Comment

Well, she can't keep going to much longer with Emissions heading the way they are. There either going to need to discontinue, or switch to a fuel injected set-up meaning a big overhaul and upgrade.
        Kan-O-Gixxer!
        -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
        -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
        -Ohlins Susupension
        -Various Other Mods

Comment

Suzuki does have the SV650, though not a sport tourer, it is another "entry level" sport bike offering. As is the faired GS500. How much money will Suzuki actually drop into the Katana to keep it around? That's the million dollar question. Will they redesign it as a middleweight sport touring machine? Hmm, the baby VStrom has comfort and a ton of luggage options. The SV can be faired with OEM plastics. It seems as though it would almost make more sense for Suzuki to offer a sport touring version of the SV. Keep the handlebar. Add a front fairing with wind protection. Or, modify the SVS for more comfortable ergos as an additional model. Who knows?
          -Steve

Comment

Suzuki tried to "update" the Katana (concurrently) with the RF600/900 series. I say so b/c there was too much product overlap for it not to be an attempt to see if the market would go for a more modern replacement. Maybe the increased cost over the Katana didn't justify the improvement. At any rate, they went over like a lead balloon. I think they could update the Katana and still sell them, but they couldn't raise the cost much or people would probably start shopping competing models (ZZR, YZF, F4).
            '97 YZF1000R, '98 & '02 Bandit 1200's, '72 XS-2, '97 CBR900RR Project, '85 700 Interceptor, '75 RD350

Comment

Originally posted by stevnmd
              I think the Kat's currently living its last year.
              i agree
              Visit www.knee-draggers.com And sign up now!

Comment

at the risk of offending many on here, I couldn't care less. I only have a kat cuz it is the 1100. i have no desire to own a 600 or a 750 because they are way too underpowered for me and I consider it to be a...well....let's just say I would never buy one. it is a great bike and all, but not for me. in my opinion, the kat I have grown to love died out in 94 when the last 1100 rolled off the assembly line....with the cream of the crop being made in the early 80's. after 94, the change did not appeal to me at all.
                just look at it this way...if it does die out, then this forum will be that much more interesting.....we will all be part of a group for a bike that doesn't exist anymore.....but then again, owning the 1100 has put me in that group for 13 years now, and it is a great feeling. If you hang on to your kat for 10+ years after the name is gone, you will know what I mean.
                I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

1 more year TOPS
                  Hello World.

Comment

just look at it this way...if it does die out, then this forum will be that much more interesting.....we will all be part of a group for a bike that doesn't exist anymore.....
                    Like TLPlanet.com
                    the kat I have grown to love died out in 94 when the last 1100 rolled off the assembly line....
                    If your Kat died tomorrow and there were no good used ones around, what would you consider as teh more modern alternative? A ZX11 or CBR1000, or would you go current day with a ZX12, Busa, or 1100XX? Or something totally different?
                    '97 YZF1000R, '98 & '02 Bandit 1200's, '72 XS-2, '97 CBR900RR Project, '85 700 Interceptor, '75 RD350

Comment

Originally posted by slipkid
                      If your Kat died tomorrow and there were no good used ones around, what would you consider as teh more modern alternative? A ZX11 or CBR1000, or would you go current day with a ZX12, Busa, or 1100XX? Or something totally different?
                      good question. to be completely honest, i have no idea. in fact, i do not read reviews, look at new models, or can even visualize some of the bikes you guys name on here. of course I am familiar with the ones you mentioned. fortunately i have 2 1100's and enough spare parts to keep at least one of them going for another 10 years, so I have no fear of it dying on me.
                      But I do have one particular bike that really appeals to me. The BMW r1200c Montauk.

[img][/img]
                      I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Honda new big boy interceptor 1200 has been rumored to be in the works, that'd be a good choice for an upgrade and still keep the comforts of an ST.

or you can really go for it all and grab urself and R1 or ZX10 !!

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Speed
                          Honda new big boy interceptor 1200 has been rumored to be in the works, that'd be a good choice for an upgrade and still keep the comforts of an ST.

or you can really go for it all and grab urself and R1 or ZX10 !!
                          I believe they are rumored to be combining the Interceptor with the Blackbird
                          Visit www.knee-draggers.com And sign up now!

Comment

Correct.. the 1100XX is being replaced.. but I havent heard much on it lately.

Comment

My take on it:

If there is another Kat 600 replacement it will be based on the new Bandit 650 engine released in the European market this past year. I have no clue about a bigger size (750, etc), but it would make sense if they bothered to keep/redo the whole Kat line-up (or another 4-cylinder replacement to take the same basic slot).

In theory, they could also use the 2005 California model as a standard 49-state model for 2006 (with the Catalytic converter and the California-spec stuff) would comply with the tier one requirements of the EPA. But I think it probably doesn't make economic sense to keep the current model in California guise...

Cheers
                              =-= THe CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X