X

tunnel vision, ever get it?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tunnel vision, ever get it?

i haven't taken my bike real far passed 100mph. only got it that fast a couple of times. today was another one of those times. long stretch of highway, no cars around. i ripped through 1st and 2nd, shifting at redline, and had plenty of pull still in 3rd when i shut her down. or maybe it was 4th, i dunno, wasn't counting gears. anywho, i glanced at the speedometer steadily rising over 100mph, and i focused my eyes back on the road. then felt like i was in star wars hitting warp speed. everything to the sides was a blur and all i could see was a rapidly approaching line of sight. ever happen to you? it scares me, but at the same time, helps create the rush. talking with another friend of mine, says that's why he doesn't take it that fast 'cause that's all he sees when he goes over 100mph and it scares the poopie outta him. i don't think it's the actual speed as much as how fast you get to that speed....

"If you ain't first, you're last..." - Ricky Bobby
    "Your stuck on an anger bridge man, you gotta cross the anger bridge and come back to the friendship shore..." - Magic Man

Re: tunnel vision, ever get it?

Originally posted by takirb
    anywho, i glanced at the speedometer steadily rising over 100mph, and i focused my eyes back on the road. then felt like i was in star wars hitting warp speed. everything to the sides was a blur and all i could see was a rapidly approaching line of sight.
    It highly depends on what you are used to, how fast you can process visual information, and what's bordering the road. As a German, I find 100 mph on a relatively straight highway still quite relaxed -- but I also know not to spend my time focusing on the speedo when I'm accelerating up to speed or driving... On the dragon, 100 mph would be cosmic overload even if could be managed; on the Cherhola skyway, it's above relaxed but still slightly below my perfect comfort zone

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

i drag race, so i get it pretty bad, if i racve the 1/8th mile that day, i dont get it at all but if i do the 1/4 oh yea buddy, i get it real bad its just the teeney hole about an inch wide i can see out of lol, im just bangen them gears as hard as i can as fast as i can, its the best feeling in the world. but i need to go faster so i keep getting it lol

Comment

Originally posted by duff daddy
        im just bangen them gears as hard as i can as fast as i can, its the best feeling in the world. but i need to go faster so i keep getting it lol
        that's what keeps getting me, bangen through the gears. my vision first got like that when i shot to about 90mph, but today i goosed it to over 100mph when i noticed it. i really need to take it to the strip for that kinda thing. the strip here in town is only an 1/8th mile, 1/4 mile strip is a few hours away. what are you running in the 1/8th?

Cyber - you ever been to SC? we have trees bordering the roads everywhere, so i'm sure that does play a big factor. i'm comfortable doing 80mph or so, but only on very open stretches. i couldn't imagine having a highway nearby that would let me do 100mph+ long enough to get comfortable lol the interstate's an hour from here either direction and the speed limit only tops out at about 70mph around those areas...

"Your stuck on an anger bridge man, you gotta cross the anger bridge and come back to the friendship shore..." - Magic Man

Comment

ah 1/8th ...here is one of my slips sorry bout the thread hijack lol

Comment

Originally posted by takirb
            Cyber - you ever been to SC? we have trees bordering the roads everywhere, so i'm sure that does play a big factor. i'm comfortable doing 80mph or so, but only on very open stretches. i couldn't imagine having a highway nearby that would let me do 100mph+ long enough to get comfortable lol the interstate's an hour from here either direction and the speed limit only tops out at about 70mph around those areas...
            I've been to both of the Carolina's (as well as most other states in East); except for traffic, I would feel comfortable doing 120 - 160 on I-95 or I-85 through SC. But once you move away from those long straights, the comfort speed obviously drops

PS - Western SC and NC both remind me of central Germany's terrain

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I85 isn't bad between anderson and greenville, but in greenville i used to hit construction and traffic and too much road debris. my friends rode to anderson, then to greenville/spartanburg by way of I85 a few weeks ago. they said they either did 80mph or were at a dead standstill in traffic. both I85 and I20 are exactly an hour from my town north, northwest, or south. i haven't ridden on I95 in forever (last trip to FL i was 3yrs old), but i need to get a lil' more comfortable in 80mph traffic to get on an interstate

duff - i dunno if i'm gonna get my bike to the strip this summer or not. if i do, now i know what to shoot for but i'm definately gonna hit the dyno, so i'll post that when i do. good times man!

Comment

yea, they were ok should have had bettter traps, that was my first slip ever, but ill be in the 11's this year

Comment

i've hit 140mpg a few times...i dont like it. Too much wind and speed for me. I never get tunnel vision , but i have on some occasions gotten on the bike...and started driving only to start spacing out and forget that im riding a bike.
                  " The key to Immortality., is first living a life worth remembering." -St Augustine

Comment

It's amazing how much everything actually slows down around you when you ur hitting those kinds of speeds... your focused on the road ahead, nothing else matters, and if you take notice, its almost like time and your surroundings are standing still, just waiting for you to pass them and go onto the next visual contact.

Comment

I have never gotten tunnel vision, and I have hit those higher speeds quite a few times.
                      Kan-O-Gixxer!
                      -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                      -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                      -Ohlins Susupension
                      -Various Other Mods

Comment

Duff,
                        You need practice!!! a .949 reaction time?!?!?! bad bad bad bad!! you will be in the 11's if you fix that!

over all not bad on the bike you were running with what almost 40k miles on her?
                        If Knowledge is Power, There are a lot of very weak people out there!!!

'97 TLS It's the "WILD, HAIRY-ARSED, NUN-RAPING VIKING PSYCHOPATH!" with M4 complete exhaust, PCII, -1front +2 rear, airbox mod, R motor with pairvalve mod, temp sensor relocation mod, and oil cooler mod

Comment

Originally posted by SlytlyDeranged
                          Duff,
                          You need practice!!! a .949 reaction time?!?!?! bad bad bad bad!! you will be in the 11's if you fix that!

over all not bad on the bike you were running with what almost 40k miles on her?
                          His feet got stuck to the tar crap they low down or something.
                          Kan-O-Gixxer!
                          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                          -Ohlins Susupension
                          -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by Badkitty
                            i've hit 140mpg a few times....
                            Whats your secret? I've never gotten that kind of mileage!

Comment

Originally posted by OtLa
                              Originally posted by Badkitty
                              i've hit 140mpg a few times....
                              Whats your secret? I've never gotten that kind of mileage!

Kan-O-Gixxer!
                              -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                              -Ohlins Susupension
                              -Various Other Mods

Comment

Working...
                              X