X

Change taillight on 98+ kats?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change taillight on 98+ kats?

I love the styling of my 2000 Kat. And I mean everything from the bodywork to the rims, mirrors, directionals, headlight, etc. But the one thing I just cannot come to appreciate is the rear brake light. It just does'nt work for me. Its just too pointy and I hate to say but it looks like when a dog gets er....excited. I thought about the clear lense idea, but that still does'nt change the shape. Any ideas or pics of an alternative?
    With something new and different, the Kat would be an official "10" to me.
    Thanks for any feedback.

I believe you can swap out the rear light & fairings with the newer 2004+ tail light and fairings. It uses the dame flatter oval shaped light as the busa.

Comment

Originally posted by kirk
      I believe you can swap out the rear light & fairings with the newer 2004+ tail light and fairings. It uses the dame flatter oval shaped light as the busa.
      Well, you can, but it will be some major moding from my understanding. The newer rears have different bolt patterns, and I can't remember if something with the subframe was changed or not.
      Kan-O-Gixxer!
      -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
      -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
      -Ohlins Susupension
      -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
        Originally posted by kirk
        Well, you can, but it will be some major moding from my understanding. The newer rears have different bolt patterns, and I can't remember if something with the subframe was changed or not.
        From what I've been told about this, because I thought about doing it myself. The bolts dont line up. I dont think anything was changed on the subframe but lou is right the bolt pattern is different. At least thats what I've been told. Do a search on here cause I'm sure it was here that someone mentioned that.
        -jason

Welcome to Katriders! Click Here to Register

RIP ROB (AKA BREEZE)

Comment

Also, the undertail area may be different too then, with bolt patterns and sizing.
          Kan-O-Gixxer!
          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
          -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
          -Ohlins Susupension
          -Various Other Mods

Comment

here you go.. found the original post on this. hope this helps and if you decide to do the mod. please make a write-up on it with pics. let us know how hard it is and how much to expect to spend on it. i would love to do this myself as well.

-jason

Welcome to Katriders! Click Here to Register

RIP ROB (AKA BREEZE)

Comment

I love my pointy tail. Thats one of the reasons I loved the Katana.

To each his own.

I also think that on some model years, they switched to an integrated brake/turn function, so the wiring harness would have to be modded......or am I making this up.
              My sig is boring.

Comment

i asked about this as well. i hope someone out there can make up a taillight lense that follows the shape of the housing so its flush. jim? beek?
                Hello World.

Comment

suzuki2000's kat has a 2003 tail section on it if I remember correctly.

Comment

the pre 03 tail will not fit right on a 03-05. and visa versa. If you were to do this you would have to change the whole rear end.. Ie. the fairings, the lights AND the fender. the pre 03 fender will fit an 04 i knwo that for a fact and I assume since it fits it will work in the reverse. However the fender is about 1/2 inch off on both sides and the fairing will not bolt to it. but if you take the whole thing you shoudl be ok.
                    Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

I don't know how, But it can be done. This is my 2000 with 03-04 tail.

Comment

Originally posted by suzuki2000
                        I don't know how, But it can be done. This is my 2000 with 03-04 tail.
                        Details, please:
                        what parts did you have to mod/replace/etc?

Cheers
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

My guess is that you would have to have the following.

The tail assmebly for an 03+ including the fender. Everything else save the wiring harness should bolt right up.

I knwo the opposite is true. I was ble to bolt up a pre 03 fender up to an 04 Kat but the tail did not fit back on completely because the rear is wider on an 04 than the bumblebee tail.

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

Re: Change taillight on 98+ kats?

Originally posted by mx916
                            I love the styling of my 2000 Kat. And I mean everything from the bodywork to the rims, mirrors, directionals, headlight, etc. But the one thing I just cannot come to appreciate is the rear brake light. It just does'nt work for me. Its just too pointy and I hate to say but it looks like when a dog gets er....excited. I thought about the clear lense idea, but that still does'nt change the shape. Any ideas or pics of an alternative?
                            With something new and different, the Kat would be an official "10" to me.
                            Thanks for any feedback.
                            that is way too funny, i never looked at it like that but it does look like a dog with a hard on, I dont think I will ever look at my bike quite the same now. lol
                            Big Cory
                            SBFMC 707
                            2005 Hayabusa

Comment

If you do end up going for the '03+ taillight, I'd highly recommend the Clear Alternatives CTL-0018 Hayabusa Integrated LED taillight...I got one for my '03 about a month ago, and the rear end looks SO much better without any fender or signal stalks!
                              FrankenKat 1216
                              GS Fiter 816
                              GSXR750! (race)

Comment

Working...
                              X