X

Rebuilding The Kat (Sort of...)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuilding The Kat (Sort of...)

Hi all. Bought a kat awhile ago. It runs perfectly, however I got it for pretty cheap due to being decently banged up in terms of appearance. While it looks fine, there is some damage to the front plastics, mirrors, bar ends, and windscreen.I had orginally bought the bike as a "starter bike" (Which it served perfectly) and was planning on selling it for a more modern R-Type. However, i've fallen in love with it and am also short on money. But not that short. So I plan on spending some cash to repair it too full strength.Where would be the best place to get some Mirrors, Bar Ends, PLASTICS, windscreen, and maybe a nice Slip On?I've been checking E-Bay. Any other suggestions for decently priced replacements? OEM would be prefered, but aftermarket is good too. The bike is a '97 600 for reference. Thanks in advance!

I have the exact same bike, same color and everything. When I got mine(it was also banged up) I used Dennis Kirk for some of the stuff(mirror, pegs) and ebay for a lot of it. Also check this sites for sale section. Just need to remember that most parts from a 88 to 97 kat will fit yours.

Comment

You can check parts for sale of this forum also check the forum on a regular basis there is always members who looking to get rid of parts for your bike
      sigpicAllan

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've high-sided!

Comment

You should try repairing your plastics yourself. It's really not that hard if you just take your time and don't mind putting in some hours and elbow grease. I've done lots of work with F/glas and epoxy, and it's messy and stinks, but it's fairly easy to work with.

After you fix any cracks, you can do your own custom paint job! Great things about bikes is that there's not a lot of paint, so you can get by with rattle cans and make it look really good if you wet sand and rattle can clear (wet sand again) over it too.

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone. I have tried removing the scratches with no luck. Maybe tomorrow i'll give it a little more work and see if I can't clean her up a bit more. That would probably save me alot of cash.

I'll also check Denniskirk as well as here. Thanks for the advice, everyone.

Comment

Working...
          X