Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Not going over 6k rpm sucks :( need engine to break in!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not going over 6k rpm sucks :( need engine to break in!

Sheesh,

My Katana feels so dog slow because once I get going I have to shift before the beuty of 6+ RPMS kick in. Only sitting at 258 miles on my kat

It seems as though the true powerband is sitting at the 6 point range but I always shift at 4prm but sometimes 5.5 if in a hurry. Anyone else hate suffering the new engine break in? I cant stand being limited to half my rpms LOL.

Shifting before 6 all the time makes the bike feel so damned slow.
    One of those days? New bike up to early and forget the kickstand on the side? Yeah had one of those it sucks...yea aint stopping it from falling thats for sure!

Hang in there! The mileage will rack up quicker than you think!

Yes the real power lies above 6k.
    I went through 5 gears last night up to redline. I almost kept up with my buddy on his FZ1,which tells me he is not riding his bike to its potential. Feel free to jump in here AHF. (closed course, private property, professionals, blah blah)

Comment

Originally posted by OtLa
      Hang in there! The mileage will rack up quicker than you think!

Yes the real power lies above 6k.
      I went through 5 gears last night up to redline. I almost kept up with my buddy on his FZ1,which tells me he is not riding his bike to its potential. Feel free to jump in here AHF. (closed course, private property, professionals, blah blah)
      Hey, I never wring my liter bike with a handlebar out, either. Man, if I rolled on to WOT in first gear and kept it to redline, I wouldn't make it to second gear. I'd loop the bike by the time I hit 9k rpms... It's almost impossible to keep the front wheel on the ground rolling on to WOT in second once over 7k rpms, too. Maybe he just was trying to not wheelie...
      -Steve

Comment

I agree that the Kat has all usable power. Thats one of the things I like about it. No concerns about looping the Kat! I agree that going WOT on a liter would be hazardous at best But then again...sure is nice having the power on tap. 8)

Comment

My suggestion si to hit the highway, and get those break in miles outa the way! I am gona go for a 600 mile weekend to break mine in in a hurry!
          Kan-O-Gixxer!
          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
          -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
          -Ohlins Susupension
          -Various Other Mods

Comment

I feel yer pain. Keeping it under 6K sure was tough for me. I now have 920 miles on the Kat and it has gotten even smoother and faster. Hang in there, it will be past before you know it.

For me, 80 miles to go, then I can wring it out to 12K, gee I think today is a good day for it
            "The problem with most motorcycles is the nut that connects the seat to the handlebars."

Comment

i know exactly what you're talking about! mine only has 250 miles, too.

and to make matters worse, all my friends bikes are completely broken in now. they got theirs a few weeks before me.
              "he who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pains of being a man"- Dr. Gonzo

Comment

i personaly think the breakin proceedure is over done.
                every new motor i've have i do heat cycles with an increase in the rpms each cycle.

tim

Comment

hehe so true. Im kind of glad I went oil cooled this round. My old 93 Ninja sprung a leak on the way to texas.....

let me tell ya about that crap ughhhhh.

Had to call progressive to get a tow truck damn leak was hidden. Now I dont need to worry about leaks just gas lol

I could stick with a 600cc for life fast enough. I might go for a bandit 1200 engine later on in its life. Pop that badboy in there for speed. I love the looks of the katana to much to not do an engine swap. hell got alot of damn nice bike from people I dont even know lol.

Godbless kats.
                  One of those days? New bike up to early and forget the kickstand on the side? Yeah had one of those it sucks...yea aint stopping it from falling thats for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by trinc
                    i personaly think the breakin proceedure is over done.

Agreed. Manufacturer paranoia in an attempt to maximize engine life.

Still, I babied my 750. Didn't even ping the rev limiter till 10K miles. Yup 10K and for it's 10K milestone it got it's first wheelie and rev limiter pingage.

...and the rev limiter bounce was just to see what would happen.

On the 750, I don't notice too much over 10.5 so I never bother with it.
                    Matt

If you think you don't need a helmet, you probably don't.

Comment

IMO, its better to be safe than sorry. You can make 100 cases either way, as to break it in or just ride it how ever you choose. but if its a brand new bike, and u plan on keeping it awhile, I'd lean more toward doing it per manufacs specs, because come warranty time, it could come back to haunt you. and even if it doesnt, at some point, u may sell the bike and why kill it before its time.

Just me .02.

Comment

Being the automotive industry those are incredibly safe standards that they recommend.

A lot of engines actually are making rated horsepower within 10 minutes of life. Basically somewhere between 10% and 100% of engines are ran on a dyno after production. Usually they get just enough time to get it up to temperature then they go to wide open.

Just imagine you could be breaking in an ignition that was making full power when it was 10 minutes old!
                        Still putting everything back together.

Comment

I was in teh same boat you were in when i bought mine last year. But i enjoyed it because as i was breaking in the kat, i was breaking into riding.

As i got more comfortible on the bike the mileage was getting close to turn it up a notch.
                          Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

Working...
                          X