X

Bike stalled while petcock set to ON

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike stalled while petcock set to ON

So I was riding the other day and had the petcock set to ON and it was going for a while and all of the sudden it stalled out on me. I had to set it to PRI to get it running again. I have plenty of gas in there so im sure thats not the issue. My question is, while riding, is it bad to leave it on PRI? Obviously I set it back to ON when I am done riding so that it doesn't keep feeding fuel into the carbs.

'92 Kat 750

Too lazy to do maintenance on it, so fixing it is out of the question unless it would take less than 5 minutes. I plan on selling it soon anyway.

Any info/insight is appreciated.

Not sure about the pre-98 Kat's but my old Yamaha had a vacuum hose hooked from the petcock to an intake boot that opened the diaphragm to allow fuel to flow while the bike was running (in the ON position.)

If that hose came off, or cracked/broke, then what you're describing would happen.
    -2005 Katana GSX750F ***SOLD***
    -2006 Kawasaki ZX-6R

RideGear.com (I keep shooting, but they won't DIE!)

Comment

Or if you happened to hit the last gallon of fuel (RES).

Yes, leaving a bike in PRIME is asking for troubles. It's one of the two systems designed to keep the bike from:
      (A) Flooding the carbs (in conjunction with the floats);
      (B) Keep the fuel from readily spilling in case of an accident (engine stalls, fuel cuts off).

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by simmeth View Post
        Too lazy to do maintenance on it
        ACK ! ACK ! ACK!

shame at you !!!! even if you're gonna sell it there is no excuse to NOT fix simple stuff like a clogged petcock, or loose vacuum line. Unless of course you wanna sell ME the Kat for a buck?
        99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
        1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
        '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
        Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

I do maintenance on it. The clutch cable snapped on me once when i was in 4th gear and I fixed it later that day. Maybe I was down to the last gallon as cyberpoet suggested. I think i popped it to RES and didn't get it to turn over so I put it on prime and left it like that for the day. I'll have to play around with it later today when I get out of work and in between getting a for sale sign for it

Rode my friends 06 GSXR 750 yesterday..... and damn thats a fun bike
          I'll be looking to get something similar in the coming weeks because my '92 750 just ain't cuttin it anymore.

I'll post an update to the petcock issue when I get to the bottom of it.

Comment

Working...
          X