Headphones while riding?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SweetLou
    replied
    Remeber though Pyro, one the bike is going, voltage goes up from 12V to like 14V or somewhere in that range. It burned out Corey's garage door opener because of the flux.

Leave a comment:

• Pyro Lizard
    replied
    that's why i am not sure if this is going to work. The speakers are attached to the circuit board with about 1/2" of wire, which is a VERY Thin gauge. I'm going to try to just rip it off, and solder some thicker wire on the leads on the circuit board. Then, i'm going to mount the circuitry in a box on the back of my helmet.

if all goes well, i'll be able to keep my mp3 player under the seat, with the headphone receiver plugged into my bike's electrical system. then, i'll have a switch on my helmet to turn my speakers on, and my mp3 player will automatically turn on with my bike. all wireless!

Leave a comment:

• The CyberPoet
    replied
    Originally posted by TemtnF8
    Don't worry about trying to modify the circuit board. Just unsolder the wires on the speaker end and either extend them or just solder the new speakers on.
    In the past I have found many speaker wires for headsets to be very, very thin wire (32 to 40 gauge) wrapped around paper carriers to provide additional stiffness and help prevent breaking -- I don't know about you (you may well have better soldering skills than I), but I can't reasonably solder 32 & higher gauge wire and have it retain any strength as wire (works fine on a PCB board, but not as a wire).

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet

Leave a comment:

• TemtnF8
    replied
    Originally posted by Pyro Lizard
    i took those wireless headphones i had apart last night, and they are not going to work

the speakers are soldered into the circuit board for the radio transmitter. i'm going to try to sepererate it, but it looks pretty complicated. i don't have high hopes for this little project.
    Don't worry about trying to modify the circuit board. Just unsolder the wires on the speaker end and either extend them or just solder the new speakers on.

Leave a comment:

• The CyberPoet
    replied
    Originally posted by Accidental
    I use those ipod standard earbuds and am due for a more permanent setup. It is sometimes painful to put them on/take them off and there is no bass. I miss my bass =( I will most likey take CP's setup, great info!
    The iPods (at least the non-shuffle models) have the ability to use equalizer settings (selectable from the settings menu), and one of them is a bass boost; several are boosted in ways that may boost the music better against the noises you'll be exposed to on the bike while riding. Still, trying to drown out wind and exhaust/road noise at speed is a formula for hearing damage, since all you're doing is adding more noise

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet

Leave a comment:

• Katana600Tao
    replied
    I don't currently ride with earphones but I plan to once I can get my 5gig Creative Zen MP3 player off layaway! I know the argument about legalities and distractions, but like anything you can either choose to be responsible and keep the music to a low or crank it up so you can't hear the guy honking that's about to hit you.

Leave a comment:

• Pyro Lizard
    replied
    i took those wireless headphones i had apart last night, and they are not going to work

the speakers are soldered into the circuit board for the radio transmitter. i'm going to try to sepererate it, but it looks pretty complicated. i don't have high hopes for this little project.

Leave a comment:

• md86
    replied
    + whatever on the Koss . The earplug part is replaceble , too . And you can replace the little tubes with speaker wire (8 gauge I think) when they get lost !

Leave a comment:

• Macka
    replied
    I've started wearing earplugs too. Wind noise at highway speeds started to hurt, and my ears would ring after riding at speed.

So, not wanting to damage my hearing, I started with the plugs. Very comfortable, I can still hear everything I need to, and wayyyyy less fatigue after.

Leave a comment:

• SweetLou
    replied
    Those Koss earbuds have GREAT Bass. I was really impressed.

Leave a comment:

• Accidental
    replied
    I use those ipod standard earbuds and am due for a more permanent setup. It is sometimes painful to put them on/take them off and there is no bass. I miss my bass =( I will most likey take CP's setup, great info!

Leave a comment:

• wilson1
    replied
    I have a mp3 player and use a pair of Koss Earbuds...I think they are pretty comfortable.

Leave a comment:

• SweetLou
    replied
    I was gona suggest those Koss Ear Plugs as well. Foam fit, very comfy, and no issues clearing the helmet. And when they are not playing music, they block noise, and are only about $20 bucks!

Oh, and when puttint them in, it is best to reach with the hand of the opposite side of your head and lift up on your ear to get a proper fit I find.

Leave a comment:

• OtLa
    replied
    Originally posted by Junior
    Right now I'm using normal earbuds but they start to hurt after awhile.

I'm told that Sony makes a rubber set of earbuds that actually fit in your ear, similar to a pair of earplugs. Haven't found them in any stores yet tho.
    I bought a pair made by Koss. Very comfortable and built just like regular ear plugs. I have worn them hours at a time, and no discomfort. (Purple is the only color I could find for the picture)

And the state of Ohio says Helmet Speakers No Restrictions

Leave a comment:

• The CyberPoet
    replied
    I wear Permanent/Reusable Ear Plugs on the bike to cut total noise significantly (the wind noise is capable of permanently damaging hearing at the speeds I tend to frequently travel at). In the helmet I have installed permanent stereo speakers (See How-to File) which play music from my iPod or radio. Since the Permanent/Reusable Ear Plugs cut the total noise (both the wind noise and the music output), I get high-fidelity clear music without having to worry about permanent hearing damages. Plus I can still hear surrounding noises, especially sirens, etc., without complaint.

NOTE: Laws vary from state to state. In Florida, you can have speakers installed as long as they didn't physically connect with your ears (i.e. - no "ear bud" style stereo headsets) - see FL Statutes - 2004 - Title XXIII- CH 316 - Statute: 316.304. There is no statute in Florida against use of hearing protection devices (ear plugs) while riding as long as the plugs do not make sounds themselves.
    According to the AMA, there are no headset restrictions for Florida, but their statement is inaccurate (see the above statute for full details). You can check your applicable state requirements according to the AMA here.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet

Leave a comment:

Working...
X