No announcement yet.
X

Headphones while riding?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a mp3 player and use a pair of Koss Earbuds...I think they are pretty comfortable.
    2002 R1
    Yoshi TRS exhaust, Undertail, Ohlins Steering Stabilizer, Dark Windshield, Frame Sliders.

Comment

I use those ipod standard earbuds and am due for a more permanent setup. It is sometimes painful to put them on/take them off and there is no bass. I miss my bass =( I will most likey take CP's setup, great info!

Go Vols! UT '05 Grad

Comment

Those Koss earbuds have GREAT Bass. I was really impressed.
        Kan-O-Gixxer!
        -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
        -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
        -Ohlins Susupension
        -Various Other Mods

Comment

I've started wearing earplugs too. Wind noise at highway speeds started to hurt, and my ears would ring after riding at speed.

So, not wanting to damage my hearing, I started with the plugs. Very comfortable, I can still hear everything I need to, and wayyyyy less fatigue after.
          "The problem with most motorcycles is the nut that connects the seat to the handlebars."

Comment

+ whatever on the Koss . The earplug part is replaceble , too . And you can replace the little tubes with speaker wire (8 gauge I think) when they get lost !
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

i took those wireless headphones i had apart last night, and they are not going to work

the speakers are soldered into the circuit board for the radio transmitter. i'm going to try to sepererate it, but it looks pretty complicated. i don't have high hopes for this little project.
              "he who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pains of being a man"- Dr. Gonzo

Comment

I don't currently ride with earphones but I plan to once I can get my 5gig Creative Zen MP3 player off layaway! I know the argument about legalities and distractions, but like anything you can either choose to be responsible and keep the music to a low or crank it up so you can't hear the guy honking that's about to hit you.
                Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Accidental
                  I use those ipod standard earbuds and am due for a more permanent setup. It is sometimes painful to put them on/take them off and there is no bass. I miss my bass =( I will most likey take CP's setup, great info!
                  The iPods (at least the non-shuffle models) have the ability to use equalizer settings (selectable from the settings menu), and one of them is a bass boost; several are boosted in ways that may boost the music better against the noises you'll be exposed to on the bike while riding. Still, trying to drown out wind and exhaust/road noise at speed is a formula for hearing damage, since all you're doing is adding more noise

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by Pyro Lizard
                    i took those wireless headphones i had apart last night, and they are not going to work

the speakers are soldered into the circuit board for the radio transmitter. i'm going to try to sepererate it, but it looks pretty complicated. i don't have high hopes for this little project.
                    Don't worry about trying to modify the circuit board. Just unsolder the wires on the speaker end and either extend them or just solder the new speakers on.

Comment

Originally posted by TemtnF8
                      Don't worry about trying to modify the circuit board. Just unsolder the wires on the speaker end and either extend them or just solder the new speakers on.
                      In the past I have found many speaker wires for headsets to be very, very thin wire (32 to 40 gauge) wrapped around paper carriers to provide additional stiffness and help prevent breaking -- I don't know about you (you may well have better soldering skills than I), but I can't reasonably solder 32 & higher gauge wire and have it retain any strength as wire (works fine on a PCB board, but not as a wire).

Cheers
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

that's why i am not sure if this is going to work. The speakers are attached to the circuit board with about 1/2" of wire, which is a VERY Thin gauge. I'm going to try to just rip it off, and solder some thicker wire on the leads on the circuit board. Then, i'm going to mount the circuitry in a box on the back of my helmet.

if all goes well, i'll be able to keep my mp3 player under the seat, with the headphone receiver plugged into my bike's electrical system. then, i'll have a switch on my helmet to turn my speakers on, and my mp3 player will automatically turn on with my bike. all wireless!
                        "he who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pains of being a man"- Dr. Gonzo

Comment

Remeber though Pyro, one the bike is going, voltage goes up from 12V to like 14V or somewhere in that range. It burned out Corey's garage door opener because of the flux.
                          Kan-O-Gixxer!
                          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                          -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                          -Ohlins Susupension
                          -Various Other Mods

Comment

Working...
                          X