X

Headphones while riding?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headphones while riding?

Ok, I know this topic has been covered before, but I'm going to ask again, anyway (in case your opinions have changed).

Do you ride with headphones on? I'm usually having too much of a blast to worry about music, but lately I've been taking really long rides. It would be nice to have some background noise, aside from WWWWWOOOOOSSSSSHHHHH (or however you spell wind noise). I've found some cool wireless headphones, and I even have a space for the speakers in my helmet.

Anyway, just wondering what you guys had to say on the topic.
    "he who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pains of being a man"- Dr. Gonzo

where did you find the headphones?
    PM me for Ultrasonic Carb Cleaning, pilot screw o-rings and washers and mercury refills

Harley Davidson
    The most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without the biproduct of horsepower

Comment

Right now I'm using normal earbuds but they start to hurt after awhile.

I'm told that Sony makes a rubber set of earbuds that actually fit in your ear, similar to a pair of earplugs. Haven't found them in any stores yet tho.

Comment

In Ga. you can have them for communication purposes only. Any other use is against the law. I personally think it's dangerous to listen to music while on a bike. I want to hear whats going on around me. Just my opinion.

Comment

the wireless headphones i bought from radioshack, but are going to require some serious modifying to fit in a helmet. I can get them to fit, though. Even if I have to use smaller speakers.

i've seen earbuds that actually go inside the ear. i know jabra makes a pair of headphones like that (aside from the cell phone headsets you've probably seen).

i am worried about the distraction, which is why i asked about it. my thought is that if i keep the volume down enough, i'll only hear the music while coasting; which would seem to be safer than having it there all the time.
          "he who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pains of being a man"- Dr. Gonzo

Comment

I think you can wear only one in CA, legally...
            Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
            Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Originally posted by Junior

I'm told that Sony makes a rubber set of earbuds that actually fit in your ear, similar to a pair of earplugs. Haven't found them in any stores yet tho.
              I don't ride with headphones, but I do use the earbuds you are talking about.

Although the rubber part of the earbud fits in your ear part of earbud sticks out of your ear. You would never be able to get a helmet on. Great sounding headphones though. They fit like a plug in your ear blocking some outside noise. Great on an airplane. I use them while I run. Worth every penny.
              '92 Kat restoration/mod project

Comment

Whenever I know I'll be on the bike for a decent ride, I throw on the earbuds and crank the Ipod. Works great, just gotta make sure the earbuds are in there good before slipping the helmet over the top.

Comment

hey yea... when i am on the back with my dad i always listen to music, clears my mind... i really enjoy it. I have found that the best headphones are the ones that wrap around your ear and slip in... very inexpensive and great quality. heres the link.

Get our Low Price Guarantee, online or in store, on a huge selection of electronics, appliances, furniture, fitness, travel, baby products and more!

or

Get our Low Price Guarantee, online or in store, on a huge selection of electronics, appliances, furniture, fitness, travel, baby products and more!

they fit into any mp3/cd player... great earphones i have a pair and love them. I recommened them for every motorcycle rider!!!

Comment

I do it, it cuts the engine noise out. I keep the music on low, so that I can hear what is going on.
                    Is Effingham a swear word?

Comment

Im too busy wearing ear plugs to use headphones too

Comment

http://www.chatterboxusa.com I bought the headphones from them that fit into the HJC helmets ear pockets and i plug them into my ipod and jam its awsome no more pain from the earbuds! U have to buy a audio cable to plug into the phones but thats only like $5...total was like $30 for headphones and audio cord all together....best investment for long rides.

Comment

I wear Permanent/Reusable Ear Plugs on the bike to cut total noise significantly (the wind noise is capable of permanently damaging hearing at the speeds I tend to frequently travel at). In the helmet I have installed permanent stereo speakers (See How-to File) which play music from my iPod or radio. Since the Permanent/Reusable Ear Plugs cut the total noise (both the wind noise and the music output), I get high-fidelity clear music without having to worry about permanent hearing damages. Plus I can still hear surrounding noises, especially sirens, etc., without complaint.

NOTE: Laws vary from state to state. In Florida, you can have speakers installed as long as they didn't physically connect with your ears (i.e. - no "ear bud" style stereo headsets) - see FL Statutes - 2004 - Title XXIII- CH 316 - Statute: 316.304. There is no statute in Florida against use of hearing protection devices (ear plugs) while riding as long as the plugs do not make sounds themselves.
                          According to the AMA, there are no headset restrictions for Florida, but their statement is inaccurate (see the above statute for full details). You can check your applicable state requirements according to the AMA here.

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by Junior

I bought a pair made by Koss. Very comfortable and built just like regular ear plugs. I have worn them hours at a time, and no discomfort. (Purple is the only color I could find for the picture)

And the state of Ohio says Helmet Speakers No Restrictions

Comment

I was gona suggest those Koss Ear Plugs as well. Foam fit, very comfy, and no issues clearing the helmet. And when they are not playing music, they block noise, and are only about $20 bucks!

Oh, and when puttint them in, it is best to reach with the hand of the opposite side of your head and lift up on your ear to get a proper fit I find.
                              Kan-O-Gixxer!
                              -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                              -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                              -Ohlins Susupension
                              -Various Other Mods

Comment

Working...
                              X