X

Hauling the Kat in a truck???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hauling the Kat in a truck???

Ok, feel free to call me stupid, but does anyone haul there bike in the back of there truck? I am purchasing a new/used truck this week, and want to know what it takes to haul the katana safely. I mean I realize I need ramps to get it loaded, but do you get a wheel chock? or tie down straps? or how does one do this? please feel free to let me know, as I'd greatly appreciate the help. Thanks.

I just used 4 tie down straps from wallmart on my trailer (recently stolen). I sit on the kat so the springs are compressed then tighten the ropes as tight as I can pull em. I drove 300 miles with that setup and the bike was still 'stifly' attached to the trailer despite a bumpy trip. Keep in mind the bed acually is more stable than a trailer, but tougher to get on to.

Go Vols! UT '05 Grad

Comment

I just have Corey drive, and I sit on the bike to hold it down while going down the hgihway. That way it also feels like I am riding really fast!!!

Straps are fine, you don't NEED a wheel chalk, but you could make one if you wanted. 2 straps in front, 2 in back. Or you can aslo get a canyon dancer for the front if you would like, but I have never used one.
      Kan-O-Gixxer!
      -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
      -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
      -Ohlins Susupension
      -Various Other Mods

Comment

Dido on the straps. Do all four corners and you wont need a chalk. If you are worried, leave the bike in 1st gear and it wont roll.
        2000 Kat 600
        "Fast Blue"
        Pic in Profile

Comment

And leave the kickstand down. That way when you release the straps, you release it so the bike will go back to kickstand side.

Also, you don't need a lot of pressure on the front, so don't overtighten the straps!
          Kan-O-Gixxer!
          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
          -Ohlins Susupension
          -Various Other Mods

Comment

I took my bike 1100+ miles to florida and then back from ohio in the back of a quad cab dodge ram (through one heck of a storm to boot) and no problems at all. I do not recommend leaving the stand down though. Make sure to compress the suspension when loading the straps. 4 straps form the corners down, then one across the front wrapped around the fropnt tire to keep the forks from turning. I also did the same in the back to keep the bike tight to the front of the truck box. seemed to work fine.
            "I am better than dirt..well most kinds of dirt that is. Not that fancy storebought dirt- that stuff is loaded with nutrients. No way I can compete with that stuff..."

Comment

Ok, so now here's another genius question to go along with this, where do I fasten the four straps. I would assume one on each handlebar, and then where? one on each side of the swing arm?

Comment

I did mine 2 on the back to the grab bar (one on each side) then in the front I went under the fairing and follow the forks up the the trees and hook it to there. Then you can hook it to the side of your bed or on sometiedowns. It really works well.

Comment

I used the passenger peg mounts to secure the rear end of the bike.

Comment

Cayon dancers work great, but they do tend to pull on the grips alot, and if u have gel grips or another equivilant, it can pull on them and cause alittle unsightly unevenness to the grips.

Comment

Originally posted by bonstrosity
                      I did mine 2 on the back to the grab bar (one on each side) then in the front I went under the fairing and follow the forks up the the trees and hook it to there. Then you can hook it to the side of your bed or on sometiedowns. It really works well.
                      Thats cuz thats how I told you to do it.. You are my Man Biatch!!!
                      Kan-O-Gixxer!
                      -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                      -Ohlins Susupension
                      -Various Other Mods

Comment

The dealer delivered my Kat 100 miles by pickup. Two tie downs on the front only, with compression. The tie down straps were wrapped around the handlebars. I didn't own the bike until it was safely delivered and damage free in my garage, so the dealer was at risk for damage in transit.

Use four straps if you want, but its the front two that are doing the work because its the front of the truck box that has the front tire compressed against it.

Someone should comment about the ramps you need. With standard ramps, you may need to load and unload with the help of a ditch, terrace, steep enbankment, or loading dock. Standard ramps may be too short and provide too steep an incline otherwise. The Katana will scrap bottom.

Come to think of it, I better check the bottom of my fairing. The dealer's deliveryman may have found out the hard way that the Kat scrapes bottom.

Would some tell me what canyon dancers are?

Comment

Re: Hauling the Kat in a truck???

Originally posted by bigdogdeee
                          Ok, feel free to call me stupid, but does anyone haul there bike in the back of there truck? Thanks.
                          Not to be a smart ass, but you should ride the Kat instead! I get much more enjoyment out of riding as opposed to hauling it...just a thought

Comment

Smartass, maybe. . . My parents live about five hours away, in the great state of wisconsin, where weather changes faster then the blink of an eye. . . five hours on the kat, then hopefully good weather to make it back five hours two days later. . nah. That's what trucks are for. Once you get there, you can have fun and ride.

Comment

ah watch out where you put the straps they rub on your plastic's kiss your paint bye bye, i do it on the 2 front forks, and on the rear sub frame, also what kind of truck do you have my pre 98 750 fits PERFECTLY in my 98 Ranger Stepside when its kitty cornerd *no pun intended* an dthats a 6 ft bed

Comment

Working...
                              X