No announcement yet.
X

Hauling the Kat in a truck???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a front tire chock made from a c-channel of steel. Bolted to the floor of my truck. Then used a canyon dancer and four straps.
    Bike is sold

Comment

What about hooking the rear straps to the little bars under the rear fairings? I mean they are hooked to the frame. That would probably work hey? Does anyone put there bike on the center stand when hauling. I don't mean to be persistent, but the last thing I want to do is see my baby tipped over after two miles. . . . .

Comment

This is an often-asked question...the search button should help too.

This is one good thread with some pics:

CLICK HERE

If we ever reach the point where we can't openly discuss riding bikes on acid without even a modicum of civility, then the terrorists have won.

HORSE BANG!!! ........props to *GP*

Official coefficient of friction test dummy

Comment

The first time I hauled my bike I tied down the front and rear (one tie down up front and one in the rear), and didn't have any problems for the 400 mile trip.

The last time I hauled my bike I only tied down the front, one on each side, and didn't have any problems that time either, I think that was about a 75 mile trip. Here's a pic from that trip.

Nick www.naskie18.com Googletalk: naskie18 AIM: naskie18

Comment

There's other threads on this topic w/ lots of pics of those that haul their bikes by truck or trailer..and as the gap rally gets closer, Im sure there will be lots more on this topic too.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdogdeee
              ... Does anyone put there bike on the center stand when hauling...
              Except for someone mentioning the side stand, I didn't catch where anyone recommended puting the bike up on the center stand. To my way of thinking, not using the center stand allows your bike and truck to get some benefit from the bike's suspension, not to mention the air filled back tire. And you can put just a little compression on the rear of the bike with the tie downs, and you have that much more grip for the rear tire against the truck bed.

Using the center stand puts the majority of the bikes weight on those two small bottom plates of the stand. That's bound to dent your truck bed if you hit bumps, railroad tracks, etc., in the road. And it would be a lot of shock against the stand itself. I'd say take advantage of the bike's rear suspension. Don't use the center stand.

Let me know if you think I am off in outerspace in my thinking about this.

Comment

Please recheck the URL for the proper spelling. Or use our search box at the top of this page to find what you're looking for.
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I pretty much do the same as most people in here, 2 in the front, only use one strap in the back, didnt notice any difference with 2 straps or one so Im lazy and only put the one. I think the biggest concern is what ramps u use and how high ur truck is. I have a 97dodge dakota, no lift yet , and my ramps are 72inches I believe or close to it. If I load it on the street, my lower fairing scraps hardcore on the ramps, the first time I trid to load it I had my buddy check it out cuz I tyhought it might do that, sure enough there was no way it was going on there without ripping the fairing off. If I get it on a slight incline or put the ramps on a curb there is no problem. I recommend finding really long ramps, 8ft long would prolly work great for any truck, the only thing is they are expensive.

And do not put it on the center stand, its gonna be more stable with both tiresa on the bed.

Comment

Originally posted by CoNViCT
                    8ft long would prolly work great for any truck, the only thing is they are expensive.
                    8 foot long pieces of wood are nice and cheap, cost me under $10 for mine from home depot.

Nick
                    Nick www.naskie18.com Googletalk: naskie18 AIM: naskie18

Comment

Just bumping this again guys, still wanting more info on hauling. As the first "haul" is about to occur. I've heard mixed reports as to strapping the bike down so the suspension is fully compressed or only partially. I don't mean to be insistent, but I don't want to see my bike tipped over. I have a hard time with thinking of no kickstand down at all, and only the straps holding it up. I know, I'm a worrier. . . . .

Comment

you dont need to fully compress them but atleast partially is ideal, IMO. If you just use 2 straps for the front and 2 on the rear, and ratchet them down nice and tight, you'll be fine. If you do a search on hauling, here on KR, you'll fine several threads and tons of pics.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdogdeee
                          Just bumping this again guys, still wanting more info on hauling. As the first "haul" is about to occur. I've heard mixed reports as to strapping the bike down so the suspension is fully compressed or only partially. I don't mean to be insistent, but I don't want to see my bike tipped over. I have a hard time with thinking of no kickstand down at all, and only the straps holding it up. I know, I'm a worrier. . . . .
                          Dude....search button.

There is TONS of info on this.

Don't compress your suspension fully. A couple of inches in front is about max. No need for sidestand--definately not centerstand. Get some soft straps and loop them around your grab bar on both sides, the subframe low on each side in the rear and around the triple tree in the front. Do use ratchet straps on at least the front and the rear. Crank the front down an inch or so, and the rear until it's solid. Grab the bike and yank it side to side--the whole truck will move. The subframe straps are for insurance.

I have traveled THOUSANDS of miles with my kat strapped like that, and it has never....ever...moved a millimeter. I also traveled about a thousand miles with TWO bikes strapped like that in the back of my truck, and guess what: Neither one ever moved.

That's with rain, wind, highway speeds for 16 hours, stop and go traffic, rough roads, and going through the Gap. Trust me on this.

Let me know if you're still freaking out and I could snap some pics or something.

If we ever reach the point where we can't openly discuss riding bikes on acid without even a modicum of civility, then the terrorists have won.

Comment

I saw "canyon dancers" at Walmart today, although they weren't called by that name. They are straps to tie to your handlebar grips or forks without marring them because there is no metal in the straps. You just loop the circular strap inside itself once its around the grip. $1.97 is the cost for two.

Comment

Originally posted by harrye
                              I saw "canyon dancers" at Walmart today, although they weren't called by that name. They are straps to tie to your handlebar grips or forks without marring them because there is no metal in the straps. You just loop the circular strap inside itself once its around the grip. $1.97 is the cost for two.
                              Yes. There are canyon dancers. They are nice. I stand by my post.

Anywho..Bdd....you bumped it. Need anything else?

Comment

I have a 1998 Ranger, and with the tailgate down, I haul my Katana with no fear. I put it in the middle of the bed, bring it forward and compress the forks, then slip it in first, lean it over on the kick stand and strap the handlebars using those camlock straps. Bingo. 8)
                                My first aid kit comes with lights and siren

But sir, we are Navy SEALs, we are supposed to be surrounded...

Comment

Working...
                                X