X

Yellow box vs. GPS

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yellow box vs. GPS

Anyone have experience with both gadgets? For about the same price I could get either, but I dont want a pain in the as* from the yellow box. Does anyone know if the box will hook up with minimal modification to the factory wiring?

Pros and Cons to either would be appreciated.

Well, if a GPS is an acceptible accurate speedo for you, why not just go that route? You can then get mapping functions, possibly navigation, etc., too...
    -Steve

Comment

GPS is way more useful. GPS all the way

Comment

Re: Yellow box vs. GPS

Originally posted by OtLa
        Anyone have experience with both gadgets? For about the same price I could get either, but I dont want a pain in the as* from the yellow box. Does anyone know if the box will hook up with minimal modification to the factory wiring?

Pros and Cons to either would be appreciated.
        I just installed a YB but haven't taken the GPS out yet to set it with.

Very easy to install, 4 wires and detailed directions. 2 for power, and 2 for the speed sensor lead. Basically, you cut 1 wire on the factory pickup, and you wire the yellowbox to that wire (one in, one out) and provide it with power and you're done.

It comes with a chart to help calculate the proper settings of the switches. It should take under an hour and that's with soldering and shrink wrapping the connections.
        Matt

If you think you don't need a helmet, you probably don't.

Comment

The problems with GPS are that many units aren't friendly to the all-weather environment bikes often go through, and many don't like the vibration and voltage ranges of the bike after about a year.

There is one alternative to the yellowbox solution called "Speedo Healer" and you may want to take a look at it as well.

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

While my Magellan is "ruggedized" and water resistant, the vibrations did it in after a year or so.

Now (replacement) it lives in the map pocket on the tank bag and the spiffy bracket I built is useless.

...and it's much harder to read now in the tank bag.
            Matt

If you think you don't need a helmet, you probably don't.

Comment

Garmin Quest.

Vibration resistant, waterproof, and turn-by-turn navigation. It ROCKS!
              -Steve

Comment

Damn, how much did that set you back steve????
                Kan-O-Gixxer!
                -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                -Ohlins Susupension
                -Various Other Mods

Comment

You can find the Quest for about 400...
                  -Steve

Comment

Working...
                  X