X

Do you run yellows ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you run yellows ?

We all face this scenario, probably on a daily basis for many. Coming up to an intersection, the light is green and all is well; you're scanning the oncoming traffic, and the cross direction traffic to make sure you're ok, then HELLO, the light turns yellow.. in a second u have to make a decision, how close am I to the intersection? is there a car on my tail that rear end me if I decide to or have to stop quickly? Are there cars in the crossing lanes already inching up in anticipation of the light turning green for them?

How often do you find yourself running the yellow? Obviously this scenario has many different factors to consider.. but I was just curious as to your opinions, as Im sure it will also help out new riders too.

Motorcycle's strength: Speed
    Weakness: Visibility

Run the yellow or get plucked from behind.

Comment

I'm always runnin yellow baby...

Comment

I wouldn't consider it "running" a yellow , as it's still okay to cross the intersection on a yellow . No big deal unless there's oncoming traffic that MAY want to turn left on you at the last second ...
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I work out what the point of no return is and assess.
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

I try to make sure I can stop if needed and if not I make sure I can make it through the yellow. It just comes with practice and being aware of what you can and can not do on the bike. For the most part I try to maintain the proper posted speed limit in traffic with lights, so I tend to roll slower than say out on the highway.

Be safe all an ride with in your means,
            Paladin

1996 GSX 600 F
            Katana

Comment

its either red or green, most of the time its green

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                I wouldn't consider it "running" a yellow , as it's still okay to cross the intersection on a yellow . No big deal unless there's oncoming traffic that MAY want to turn left on you at the last second ...
                Quite true, "running a yellow", was a figure of speech mainly referring to, do you normally take the chance of the circumstance u just mentioned, happening.

Comment

Originally posted by Katgirl
                  Ditto. The dashed-to-solid boundary is my gauge...

As you approach the light, you'll notice (especially on multi-lane roads) that the dashed lines between the lanes turn solid at a specific point prior to the intersection. The beginning of that solid line is *supposed* to be the commitment zone -- i.e. - the place that even if you're traveling a few mph under the speed limit, you'll clear the light before red if it switches to yellow while you're in the zone. International civil engineering standard for marking intersections...

I'm not sure it always works out right in the USA, but in Germany it has always been right. I suspect in the US they sometimes reset the timing on the lights without going back and changing the length of the lines.

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Same here.

Usually depends on if there's a car up my arse or not, if there is I'll go, if not I'll typically stop.
                    Nick www.naskie18.com Googletalk: naskie18 AIM: naskie18

Comment

[quote="naskie18"]
                      Same here.

Usually depends on if there's a car up my arse or not, if there is I'll go, if not I'll typically stop.[/quote

+1]
                      If there isnt anyone behind me, I will usually stop, just depends on speed and how quickly I can make it through the intersection. (some intersections are wider than others)

Comment

You do what with your assess?????
                        Kan-O-Gixxer!
                        -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                        -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                        -Ohlins Susupension
                        -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                          this is not true in every state as my mom was driving to work one morning and "ran" a yellow light. was pulled over and got a ticket for it. because the "yellow" light means "prepare to stop" and if your too close to stop safely then yes go through it. if your able to stop safely then you need to stop. i think its bullshit that she got a ticket for it and i pretty much always go through yellow lights but thats what happened. o, this was in oregon where she got the ticket.
                          -jason

Welcome to Katriders! Click Here to Register

RIP ROB (AKA BREEZE)

Comment

I do the same except I access because if your looking at assess that might distract you....

Comment

OMG the spelling Nazi made a mistake!!!!!

I looked at it and thought it didn't look right, and left it anyway. Thanks for correcting me
                              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Working...
                              X