First Attempts...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Attempts...

Hey guys...

So yesterday was my first attempt(s) on my Kat. Under the instruction of Matt. (N4S) I stalled it out a few times because I let go of the clutch too quickly. But after awhile, I got the hang of it and just worked on it. THEN today, I got on the Kat and only stalled it out TWICE out of myabe 20 or 30 times up and down my driveway.

It's such a great feeling. I mean, I have a LONG way to go, but the feeling is WOW!

Matt on the other hand is a FANTABULOUS teacher. He wasn't like some other people who look down on you if you don't get the trick in two shots. He was very calm and very encouraging. And it the more encourgaing words he gave me, the more I wanted to learn.

It's still a little intimidating, and I'm stilled scared of it. Not as much, but the fear is still there. Which is probably a good thing. And I have my MSF course scheduled in June so hopefully I'll be licensed by the time I go down to the Gap. And if not, then I'll still go down, watch learn and listen.

So thanks to Matt for helping me out. I really appreciate it.
    KARA

I'm a whole lotta woman, but a whole lotta fun!

I have been riding for years, and I still watch and learn every time I ride. Congrats on the clutch deal. After a while it will become second nature. Good luck on the MSF, but it sounds like Matt will have you ready for it.

Enjoy your Kat!

Comment

Sounds like you have a great teacher. It will all come in time. None of us were born with the knowledge of motorcycles. Stick with it and maybe some of us Katriders will run into each other at the gap. I Dont mean like wrecking or anything.
      I know my wife wants to go up there badly and shoot some vids. Good luck with the Riders Ed class!

Comment

The MSF will help a lot with confidence. I just finished mine today and I had great instructors. They took some people who have never ridden a bike before to be driving all over and doing drills that I could barely complete myself.

Comment

Wait...you got it running? What was wrong with it Char?

Comment

Originally posted by kickitjp
            Wait...you got it running? What was wrong with it Char?
            Yup, got it running. They checked the carbs and they were clean, basically checked over everything, and everything was fine EXCEPT the plugs!!!!! The PLUGS!

Matt took her for a spin and his exact words were, "She was itchin' to be ridden. She definitely has some snot to her."

I'm AM in fact enjoying her. Even though I'm just learning to get her going...LOL
            KARA

Comment

I have been riding for over 17 years now, and I pull up the garage at work where I park my bike, and of course all my co-workers are standing around. I had to get off my bike to open an overhead door, get back on my bike, and dump the clutch and killed the bike! It started right back up, but did they ever give me a rash of crap. Have fun and learn good habits.
              2000 Kat 600
              "Fast Blue"
              Pic in Profile

Comment

Way to go Char!! We all knew you could do it!!!!!
                It only gets better from here!!!!!

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Matt will be a big help to you, and you'll be a bit ahead of some in the MSF course, good luck!!!
                  Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Yeah girl, u did great, just remember the tips we talked about, and you'll continue to improve.

I took it down to fill it up w/ gas, and darn near ran out on the way to the gas station, so its a good thing it was close by then once she got a drink, it was on, I opened it up a few times on a main road behind her house.. and yeah, the yosh pipe sounds real nice, and took it up 10 grand on the rpms several times, and u could tell it hadnt been ridden in a while.. but the last 2 times, it was much much better. Very smooth bike.

Comment

I'd throw some Techron in there, just for sure measures.

So you thinkin Yosh Matt for yours?

Comment

I like the yosh, always have, but me, since I like to be different.. ya know SteelBlue isnt the most famous color for a bike , I still have it narrowed down to either a Hindle or a D&D ..both of which are awesome, but I can more easily afford the D&D,and I do like the screamin sound at higher rpms. So its a toss up for me, but either way, I'll ask the birthday fairy and see what she thinks too

Comment

hint hint crunchie

Comment

Re: First Attempts...

Originally posted by CharlieMav
                            It's still a little intimidating, and I'm still scared of it. Not as much, but the fear is still there. Which is probably a good thing.
                            Congrats on getting going Char !! For the first month that we had our bikes, we would ride them one block up to the high school parking lot. After that, we would ride to the abandoned grocery store about 3 blocks away. Baby steps...there's no hurry. The more effort you put into mastering the basics, the better off you will be. You have the rest of your life to ride, there's no need to rush through the important stuff.

FWIW, I was told once that if you get on your bike and you have lost a healthy respect/fear of its power, you need to just step away from it until you pull your head out.

Sounds to me like you're on the right track. Good luck with MSF and I'll meet you at the end of your driveway so that we can go riding. (Hey, driveways can be fun !)
                            Hate is a special kind of love I have for people that suck.

http://www.nmburn.com (#73-Defensive Tackle/Offensive Guard)

Hi. :bigfinger Cram it.

Comment

Thanks Scrappy!!!!!! And I will definitely be at the end of my driveway waiting for ya. *hugs* I'll even cook ya dinner. 'Course my kids might bug the hell out of you.
                              KARA

Comment

Working...
                              X