X

600 or 750.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 600 or 750.

I am really trying to figure this out. I am only 14 as most of you know but once i turn 16/17 (or when i get my M2) my dad said i could get a motorcycle so i could ride with him. I looked a gixers and all that and i wish i could have one but insurance is 6,200$ CDN!!!! so i like the katana lol. But i looked at insurance rates between the 600 and 750 katana and the 750 was only 200 or so $'s more. I would like a more sportier riding position, but enough power to at some point get a wheel off the ground. Any suggestions?

How big are you?

600 will raise the front off the ground with sprocket changes. But if you are a big guy, or plan on riding 2 up more foten, I would go the 750 route.

I started riding on a 750, and it was fine for me. Then again, I am 6'5", and weigh a little less than the bike.
    Kan-O-Gixxer!
    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
    -Ohlins Susupension
    -Various Other Mods

Comment

haha... at 14 i weigh 160 lbs... so which one is better to get a wheel off the ground? o and if i got a yoshi pipe to give me a lil extra torque/power would the kat 600 pop off the ground (wheelie)

Comment

Well, I would think the 600 would do you just fine, and no, the Yoshi won't do anything toget your front up. A full exhaust (Header back, not just the slip on) to go along with a Stage 1 jet kit, will give you a bit more power. From my understanding, Ivan's Jet kit has the best power. To really get the tourque up though, you need to change your sprocket size. Stock up front is a 15, so go down to a 14, and up your rear sprocket 3 more. I think on mine the stock size was 45, so go up to a 48 or so. Remember though, changing your sprockets like that will give you better off the line power, and enable you to bring the front up a bit easier, but it will take away fro your top speed. But really, how often would you use top speed, where as you would enjoy the benifits of the sprocket change everytime you took off. Just one Mexican's opinion
        Kan-O-Gixxer!
        -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
        -Ohlins Susupension
        -Various Other Mods

Comment

Here we go again with that wheelie poppin crap again.

free sig hosting

Comment

I don't think it is all about the wheelie pop'n here. Lets keep in mind he is only 14. What was going through your head when you were 14???

He is wanting to be able to ride, and mess around when he gets the chance. As long as he does his stunting in a safe place out of the way of other people and small aminals, whats it gona hurt besides himself and the bike if he goes down?????

And I love the SIG. I can't wait to have kids!!!!
            Kan-O-Gixxer!
            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
            -Ohlins Susupension
            -Various Other Mods

Comment

I would not want someone to get messed up doing a wheelie. These topics should be discouraged. If a person wants to ride on one wheel, let them get a unicycle.

Comment

Originally posted by Zukiman
                I would not want someone to get messed up doing a wheelie. These topics should be discouraged.
                If someone did happen to get messed up it would nobody's fault but their own.

I'd rather guide him in the right direction as to when and where it's appropriate to practice "stunting" and maybe even give a few pointers on how to avoid falling over.

Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Junior
                  I would not want someone to get messed up doing a wheelie. These topics should be discouraged.
                  If someone did happen to get messed up it would nobody's fault but their own.

I'd rather guide him in the right direction as to when and where it's appropriate to practice "stunting" and maybe even give a few pointers on how to avoid falling over.

Just my opinion.
                  Good point. I can't argue with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Junior
                    These topics should be discouraged.

+1

He's gonna try anyhow, might as well help him do it as safely as possible.

At 36, I still like to wheelie, and I've been on 2, 3 and 4 wheels since I was 9. However, I don't think a street bike is the machine to learn that on though, I think a dirt bike is a MUCH better choice. Buy some ratbox, learn to wheelie someplace safe/soft, then trade it in for the steetbike. The MINIMAL money you might loose on the dirt bike transaction is a mere FRACTION of what fairings and insurance will cost you.

Practice some responsibly... deserted locations with proper (FULL) gear and a "spotter" to pick up the pieces when things go wrong. (and they will, nobody learns to wheelie without dropping it). If you wreck, please don't screw over all bikers by claiming it on insurance....there's a reason that GIX insurance is so high......

To answer the question..... my wife has a 600 and I the 750. The 750 has LOADS more power and (low end) torque, and to loft the front of her bike, would take SOME work (i.e clutch hammering) and we've geared it down (-1) up front. Learning to wheelie on a Katana will likely require new bearings in the headset, it's a heavy bike and it has a long wheelbase - neither of which make for easy wheelies and slamming it back down will take it's toll. My 750 will loft the front wheel by sawing the throttle on and off....bring her up to 6-7K, shut her down to 5-6 and then whack it again and up she comes. Yank the bars and it comes up higher. (mine is also -1 up front).

The 750 has slightly taller bar risers so the seating position is slightly more upright. The 750 has a different rear shock setup - which allows for seperate rebound and compression settings - something the 600 does not have and the 750 has about (Zuki specs) 30 more HP. The 750 also comes (came?) with different tires than the 600. For the minor difference in purchase price, you get a LOT of stuff and oddly enough, the 750 gets better gas mileage.
                    Matt

If you think you don't need a helmet, you probably don't.

Comment

the 600 doesnt have the torque to wheelie just with a goose of the throttle. Now if you wanna tear up your transmission and do those stupid things then thats the way to go. I would imagine the 750 would have the power to do it.

Well its a good thing you cant get a bike now cause thats the last thing we need is a young squid on the road trying to do wheelies. I've done many of them on dirt bikes ON THE DIRT, but i have not and will not ever do one on the street unless totally by accident. Thats just my 5cents
                      " The key to Immortality., is first living a life worth remembering." -St Augustine

Comment

Hmm...

I guess we have ourself a squid in training, or The beginning of the squid.

Comment

Originally posted by gsxkatana600
                          Hmm...

I guess we have ourself a squid in training, or The beginning of the squid.
                          Maybe.......

Squid Reloaded?

Biker Squidz??

The Wizard of Squid???

Comment

The good, the bad , and the squidly?
                            Fist full of squidz?
                            The outlaw Josie Squid?
                            High plains squidster?

Comment

Re: 600 or 750.

Originally posted by prep_it_up
                              I am really trying to figure this out. I am only 14 as most of you know but once i turn 16/17 (or when i get my M2) my dad said i could get a motorcycle so i could ride with him. I looked a gixers and all that and i wish i could have one but insurance is 6,200$ CDN!!!! so i like the katana lol. But i looked at insurance rates between the 600 and 750 katana and the 750 was only 200 or so $'s more. I would like a more sportier riding position, but enough power to at some point get a wheel off the ground. Any suggestions?
                              if you want to do wheelies and you are going to do them even though no one here thinks you should, then you should get a used one, put a twelve bar on it and a cage and practice on a vacant lot until you are old enough to vote. Because we really dont want to see you on the road until then. lol. By then you should be able to make an intelligent decision, fyi, it is no fun to slide across the ground at 60 mph because you looped a wheelie, trust me I know
                              Corys alter ego

Big Cory
                              SBFMC 707

Comment

Working...
                              X