X

Activating a battery

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Activating a battery

I purchased a replacement battery from Walmart two days ago, and it was the first maintenance free battery that I ever dealt with. Some of you may be familiar with this type of battery. It had six separate plastic bottles of electrolyte, and all of the bottles are stuck together in a unit so that the mouths of the six bottles align with the six filler holes in the battery. The instructions said there was to be a "multibarrel" six-hole funnel which was to be used to fill all of the battery cells at one time.

When I got the battery home I noticed that the tape over the box cover had been cut with a razor, and apparently the "special funnel" had been removed. Someone apparently cracked the funnel for their own battery and went back to Walmart to get a "replacement".

At first I though that this elaborate method of adding electrolyte to the battery was just some extra safe way for the battery company to avoid lawsuits from people spilling the acid on themselves. I remembered with all of my other batteries, I just got one big bottle of electrolyte and pored it into each cell separately.

So I though I'd just pour each of the six bottles separately into the cells. And I was able to do this. I thought the odds of aligning all six filler holes at once without funnels were not in my favor, and I end up spilling too much acid. But later I got to thinking that there was a real technical reason for the elaborate method of adding the acid. The instructions said to leave the bottles positioned in the funnel for at least 20 minutes. And that once the bottles are empty, slowly remove the bottles and funnel from the battery. And the seal the battery with plugs immediately after filling.

So can anyone tell me was the purpose of the special funnel to prevent air from mixing with the acid in the cells. I never saw the funnel, so I don't know if it would have created an air tight method of transfering the acid to the cells. But if one were to "slowly" remove the funnel and bottles, air would have gotten in there to some extent.

I also recall that there were pointed plastic projections inside the battery near the top of the holes. Those built in projections could have pierced the aluminum foil sealing each bottle. Is it possible that the instructions didn't match this particular battery, and there never was meant to be a special funnel? The six bottles should have just been pressed upside down against the sharp projections within the battery?

So I am asking, did I damage or reduce the effectiveness of the battery by filling each cell separately? This process took about 8 minutes, with each cell exposed to the air after it was filled until the last cell was filled and the six unit plug strip was put in place.

This was Walmart's Easy Start ES-9BS battery, as I recall.

Finally, I must add that my original battery for my Kat will be replaced under warranty by my Suzuki dealer. But the dealer didn't have any in stock, and has to order the battery and have it shipped to me. I didn't want to go without riding in case of the inevitable delays and backorders that could happen.

So when my replacement YUASA battery arrives, how long might it last on the shelf if I don't activate it until my Walmart battery goes. Hopefully, many years from now.

Thanks to anyone who might know.

I bought an Interstate battery for my bike that I had to fill myself. The reason shops and stores do this is for shelf life and safety. Bike batteries dont fly off the shelf like car batteries. As far as the YUASA battery, if its not activated, it will last for many years. It never hurts to have a back-up battery.

Comment

Originally posted by Zukiman
      I bought an Interstate battery for my bike that I had to fill myself. The reason shops and stores do this is for shelf life and safety. Bike batteries dont fly off the shelf like car batteries. As far as the YUASA battery, if its not activated, it will last for many years. It never hurts to have a back-up battery.
      Good to know that the shelf life will be long on the YUASA.

On the Interstate battery, was it maintenance free? Did you have to use a special funnel and fill all cells at once while apparently allowing minimum exposure of the filled open cells to the air?

Comment

It is maint. free and had the puncture type plastic bottles that filled the cells at the same time. After I filled and capped it, I charged it for 1-1/2 hours on my Battery Tender and it worked great. I have had this same battery for 3 years. When I park the bike here at the house, I keep it plugged up to the charger. A Battery Tender is a very good investment.

Comment

I purchased a battery about a year ago from Wal Mart here in SC, It had the standard one big bottle to fill all the cells.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Batteries will give you a tummy ache if you eat them. You also have to go to the doctor too.
            Kan-O-Gixxer!
            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
            -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
            -Ohlins Susupension
            -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
              Batteries will give you a tummy ache if you eat them. You also have to go to the doctor too.
              WTF? :smt033

Comment

Originally posted by harrye
                Originally posted by Zukiman
                Good to know that the shelf life will be long on the YUASA.

On the Interstate battery, was it maintenance free? Did you have to use a special funnel and fill all cells at once while apparently allowing minimum exposure of the filled open cells to the air?
                Thats what I run in my kat, so far so good, been about a year since it was put in.

Comment

harrye...it doesn't matter how you fill the cells, as long as each cell is at the proper level. Mixing with air will not hurt it either. In fact, it can not be completely 100% airtight. It may seem like it is, but it isn't. If it was sealed 100% tight, it could be dangerous if left on a charger and forgotten about because it will boil....and with no escapre, it could blow up the battery. So as long as you have the right amount of acid in each cell, you will be fine.
                  As far as a WalMart battery....never again for me. The last 3 I got from them didn't last for shit. The deep cycle for my boat lasted about 3 months. The one for my car didn't last a winter, and the one they give me on return died as well. I swallowed the loss picked one up at Canadian Tire that has been about 3 years running now.
                  I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Thanks to everyone who responded. And thanks Mojoe for being able to answer the question that I was really worried about. That special multi-barrel funnel must be so that each cell gets the correct amount of acid.

Well, I've had my Kat for 39 days now and have only 200 miles on it, due to weather and battery problems. I forgot what its like to drive it and what the instrument panel looks like. I am going to put the new battery in and go for my first drive with my new helmet, jacket, leather gloves, and high-top tennis shoes. Aren't I tempting fate for somethnig else to go wrong? I got steel toed work boots as well, but not for today's ride.

Comment

Get the battery tender I spoke of...

Mojoe is 100% right on air being permissible and even mandatory for all acid-based batteries (and most other types). As long as the acid levels got to where they were supposed to be (i.e. - that none of the glass-matts used in the maint free battery are exposed when in use or charging), the battery will be fine.

KNOW THIS:
                      The Yuasa battery has substancially more plates crammed into it than the WalMart equivilent, resulting in a larger CCA -- easier starting, esp at lower charge levels.

Cheers
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                      X