X

Riding with "faster" company today...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riding with "faster" company today...

We headed out early today for some twisty mountain road riding. I was the noob in the bunch, riding with 2 guys with about year of experience. I have about a month of riding, and I'm the only one who has taken the MSF class. I noticed habits/styles in their riding that made me glad I had taken the MSF. One guy crossed into the oncoming lane around corners twice!! No oncoming traffic, but I was scared to see that.

My Kat 600 was among some faster bikes; a newer SV650S and a brand new GSXR600. I'm not a huge fan of passing traffic at EVERY dashed line and keeping speeds above 100 all day, but these guys like to drive straight and fast. I thought that with my slower bike (and stock tires), we'd be pretty evenly paced when roads got windy. I'm happy to report that, when I moved up to the front, I simply lost them in the turns I owe my limited technique to years of mountain biking (I really think it relates some skills), the MSF, and YOU GUYS. Thanks! Using some of the advice from my thread a while back, I was hanging off the inside of turns and simply walking away from the other bikes in corners. It was a good ride!
    Ride like your life depends on it.

Sounds like a good time. Glad to hear that a Kat schooled them in the Twisities!!!

Now get rid of those Crapadam tires, and really school them!!!
    Kan-O-Gixxer!
    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
    -Ohlins Susupension
    -Various Other Mods

Comment

Glad you had a great time.

Comment

I guess your riding buddys woun't be knocking the Katana name. Now you realy need to get a KR shirt and wear it proudley!!!

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

ya- you'll get spanked in the straights & a few adjustment can make the kat workable when the roads get tight. i was 'testing' some adjustments yesterday.

tim
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by trinc
            ya- you'll get spanked in the straights & a few adjustment can make the kat workable when the roads get tight. i was 'testing' some adjustments yesterday.

tim
            I wana get out ant "test" some adjustments!

Like the 1127 engine. Thats a big adjustment!
            Kan-O-Gixxer!
            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
            -Ohlins Susupension
            -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by trinc

tim
              I wana get out ant "test" some adjustments!

Like the 1127 engine. Thats a big adjustment!

Edit- Whats up with the double post thingy here?????
              Kan-O-Gixxer!
              -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
              -Ohlins Susupension
              -Various Other Mods

Comment

Score another for Kat !!!! Sounds like a good time !!!

and yeah lou, whats taking you so long!

Comment

Originally posted by suzuki2000
                  I guess your riding buddys woun't be knocking the Katana name. Now you realy need to get a KR shirt and wear it proudley!!!
                  I was pretty pumped everytime I slowed to look in the rear-view, and they were nowhere in sight. My buddy with the Gix is actually the previous owner of the Kat. When we stopped for a break, he exclaimed that he never thought the Kat would even keep up with his new bike. He was impressed. I replied, "it's all rider 8) ".

Of course they walked away from me on the straights. I wasn't trying to top the bike out, so I just let them go as I cruised at 120.

We found the cops too ....
                  We were all cruising on a straight at above 100 when we came up behind a truck going ~55. We slowed until he turned off. My friends sped away, probably back up to 100+, but I glanced in the rear-view before resuming illegal speeds. There was a cop DIRECTLY on my ass. I sped up to 60-ish and cruised with him tailing me closely for several miles. Around a corner, my friends were stopped on the side. I slowed as I approached (blinker, pulled off) and the cop went around. The cop flashed his lights for a second and drove on That was pretty cool of him!

Comment

*two cheer's for mountain biking*

I think your right, that there is a lot in common. Like learning to avoid trees :-\. I guess I'm just a fan of two wheeled vehicles

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
                      Sounds like a good time. Glad to hear that a Kat schooled them in the Twisities!!!

Now get rid of those Crapadam tires, and really school them!!!
                      +1

I apparently blew a few people away last night on the Kat in the twisties as well... 90-100 mph sweepers that I thought was no biggie made Kat6 comment afterwards about the definition of "smooth" on a Kat... I credit the Z6's and the ability to pick a good line early...

Get rid of the Crapadams and you'll be set

Cheers
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Good show, Cyber We all like to hear that type'o story.

Yeah, my tires are almost out the door. I hate throwing away tires with a couple thousand miles left on them, but the rear also seems to constantly lose air! Could be the stem. I know you guys are all cringing with the thought of actually riding on them.

Comment

Originally posted by SoloScott
                          Yeah, my tires are almost out the door. I hate throwing away tires with a couple thousand miles left on them...
                          Don't throw them away -- just put them up on eBay. I've sold maybe a dozen tires on eBay, including a couple sets of Crapadams that were on Kats I've bought. PM me with your email address and I'll send you the write-up to use to list them (makes it easy) -- someone somewhere will want them, and if you get even a fraction of the replacement cost out of them, you're ahead on the game (plus, you've saved the environmental recycling fee at mounting, and saved the environment because someone else will ride them for a while longer).

Cheers
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                            Originally posted by SoloScott
                            Yeah, my tires are almost out the door. I hate throwing away tires with a couple thousand miles left on them...
                            Don't throw them away -- just put them up on eBay. I've sold maybe a dozen tires on eBay, including a couple sets of Crapadams that were on Kats I've bought. ...

Cheers
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Yeah, I've sold everything I ever took off my Kat, including aset of busted turn signals!!! The guy wanted one good one and so I sent him both, one good, one busted. Someone will buy and appreciate those old tires...
                            My first aid kit comes with lights and siren

But sir, we are Navy SEALs, we are supposed to be surrounded...

Comment

Working...
                            X