X

Completely miffed

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Completely miffed

The Bike: 2004 katana 750 w/ two brothers titanium exhaust. no other engine mods.

the desire: increase throttle response, fill in mid range power gaps

the proposed product: jet kit

so i call 2 local shops today and find myself completely miffed at what they tell me.

shop 1: jet kits are not the end all be all. we dont even like jet kits. we make no claims, but we only use our own jetting systems and we only charge for the parts we use. we do dyno test to make sure its a good system.

shop 2: forget the jet kit, regear and let us ride it. then if u need a jet, we can make that determination after the gearing is done

ivan's: no need for k and n filter

everyone else: yeah man, k and n filter seals the deal.

another problem: i dont have the tools, time, and expertise to do a jet kit myself.

ivan's seems to have the best feedback and i like noth aving to spend $$ on the k and n filter.

someone save my sanity. i am in 4 directions. i do a lot of riding in the 4-6k rpm range and i jsut want a little more oomph as well as acceleration and throttle response.
    "I am better than dirt..well most kinds of dirt that is. Not that fancy storebought dirt- that stuff is loaded with nutrients. No way I can compete with that stuff..."

Is this a full exhuast system? or a slip on system?

If it's a slip-on...yeah, you really don't need to jet..but you could.

I would try an ignition advancer for throttle response.

Comment

it is a slip on system. i will research ignition advancers. if i use a k and n, should i jet then?
      "I am better than dirt..well most kinds of dirt that is. Not that fancy storebought dirt- that stuff is loaded with nutrients. No way I can compete with that stuff..."

Comment

Looks like you'll have to go beyond "local" for shops in your area...

Comment

Screw the local shops.. both of them sound like tards who just want ur money for what they wanna use it for instead of what you want.

K&N filters are the best you can buy, PERIOD, IMO. You definately cant go wrong. It may cost alittle more, but in the long run, u'll be glad you did it.

Regearing is definately a good idea, so they're right on that note...which case you'd probably lose alittle of your top end power, but the lower and mid range will definately be worth it.

Just my .02

Comment

OK..here is THE difinitive answer.

FIRST....go the ignition advancer...this will NOT make it faster, but will give you the quicker throttle response you are looking for...

SECOND....drop one tooth in the front...to a 14...that will give you a significant amount of zip off the line, and it will not top your bike out at high speeds

THIRD...go with Ivans jet kits exclusivly...he put the effort and research in to his kits and he guarentees them.

FOURTH....there is nothing that you really need to do, a full exhaust and K&N will not really give you a significant gain for the money that you would spend.

Comment

I'm with Range on this one... Unless you are changing the stock exhaust headers for aftermarket headers, the change in flow from switching to a K&N filter will not make any significant difference (since the intake isn't the bottleneck in the intake-exhaust breathing cycle, AND since Ivan's doesn't require a K&N to function ideally).

Ivan's is definitely the way to go. If you are anywhere within a few hundred miles of his shop, pop by there and let him put it in & do a post-install tuning for you. Otherwise, install it yourself. It's not brain surgery by any means (requirements: remove bodywork, unbolt carbs, remove 4 screws on top, replace 1 part in each of 4 carbs, close back up, flip over, unscrew 4 screws on bottom, replace 1 part on each of 4 carbs on bottom, close back up, drill out 1 cap on each of 4 carbs, turn screw under that access cap to specified number of turns; reinstall carbs into bike). Odds are you can also find another KR member in your area who would be happy to help walk you through it in person in exchange for a beer or a dinner (provided you do the crap work -- removing the fairings).

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

great info. i am not a speed demon. i realize i do not own a liter bike. i had an 01 600 and loved it so much that i bought a 04 750. kats rock. sometimes i get on it and really tear it up but most days are spent enjoying the quiet time, the sunshine, the road, and fellow riders. when i ride that way, a 6500 rpm power band is a little high for me. i jsut want to get it down a little so that when i tool around, i have a little more pony without winding it out.

Comment

Great! Then try the advancer (cheapest outa all of them..and easiet) and see if you need the jet kit.

Happy Modding.

Comment

The advancer is definately on many people's mod list, including mine.. plus it will also aid in warming up your bike alittle quicker.

Comment

check out my web page

it's all in there:
                      ignition advance
                      changing the counter sprocket
                      installing a jet kit.

the carbs should be re-sync'd but will run 'ok' without - you could farm that out to a shop if you don't want to mess with it.

tim

Comment

Thazkat just moved to OH & is a real good mechanic. Give him a couple of weeks to settle in & contact him.

Comment

after reading everyone's posts and checking some sites, the advancer seems like an easy way to help ponyup the mid range. problem is, i cannot find them anynwhere online to order for my bike. now and then again i see them for the -02, is it the same for the 04? i assume it is, just wanted to check. also, are there any recommended sites with this part?

Comment

Originally posted by knutty
                            after reading everyone's posts and checking some sites, the advancer seems like an easy way to help ponyup the mid range. problem is, i cannot find them anynwhere online to order for my bike. now and then again i see them for the -02, is it the same for the 04? i assume it is, just wanted to check. also, are there any recommended sites with this part?
                            Yup, all the same. I would either PM or Email Special K, I believe he just got a whole bunch in. Otherwise check with Dennis Kirk or SpeedWerks. I know Dennis Kirk sells them.
                            Kan-O-Gixxer!
                            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                            -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                            -Ohlins Susupension
                            -Various Other Mods

Comment

K&N filters are the best you can buy, PERIOD, IMO. You definately cant go wrong. It may cost alittle more, but in the long run, u'll be glad you did it.
                              K&N does not work better than a paper filter, in fact, when clean they work worse.

I say why deal with the cost, mess and questionable benefit of a K&N filter.
                              I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Working...
                              X