No announcement yet.
X

Completely miffed

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My slip on (Two Bros C4) made no difference in the performance of my bike.

My jet kit (Factory Stage 1) made very, very little difference. Jet Kits are NOT the be all and end all and in fact, many people get great results by just shimming the needles - no jet kit necessary.

The best bang for the buck was the -1 sprocket up front. You will NOT be dissapointed.

An air filter won't do squat unless you're somehow starving it for air. The stock airbox/filtration is reported to be very good and works fine for all but the largest of jet kits. K&N is not the be all and end all either - but some people love the product and put it in everything they own, like my buddy does.

Honestly, don't you think that if you could get free horsepower by only changing air filters, wouldn't it come like that from the factory?

If you're not using a crapload extra gas, you don't need to breath or exhaust easier......
    Matt

If you think you don't need a helmet, you probably don't.

Comment

again, all great info. all I want to do is bring down my power band. regearing will bring down my available power vs. speed but not bring the power band down in regards to RPM. granted, i am going to regear to get the ponies down in relation to speed. i am going to do the ignition advancer in hope of adding some midrange oomph.
      "I am better than dirt..well most kinds of dirt that is. Not that fancy storebought dirt- that stuff is loaded with nutrients. No way I can compete with that stuff..."

Comment

Here is a ignition advancer AND a new gasket through Bike Bandit for $44 bucks!

Kan-O-Gixxer!
        -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
        -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
        -Ohlins Susupension
        -Various Other Mods

Comment

ahhh good ole sweet lou...+1. good show old man.
          "I am better than dirt..well most kinds of dirt that is. Not that fancy storebought dirt- that stuff is loaded with nutrients. No way I can compete with that stuff..."

Comment

that doesnt mention advancing, is that the +5 degree?

Comment

i called factory pro and they said that it was the 5 degree but i might end up having fuel mix/carb issues. i am under the impression that i should stay stock and keep my mouth shut. haha

Comment

i ordered it from bike bandit. screw the naysayer. haha. +2 for lou.

Comment

No, you shouldn't have any issues. Ask around to everyone ehre that has done it.
                  Kan-O-Gixxer!
                  -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                  -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                  -Ohlins Susupension
                  -Various Other Mods

Comment

the regear will actually give you more low-end torque. I'd go with that next, if I were you.

Comment

i plan on doing the 15-50 when i add the DID gold x-ring. stock chains stink. too much stretch. any objections to the gearing?

Comment

Originally posted by knutty
                        i plan on doing the 15-50 when i add the DID gold x-ring. stock chains stink. too much stretch. any objections to the gearing?
                        Nope. Good deal. Enjoy.

KNOW THIS:
                        Stock OEM chains are actually very high quality chains; if they stretch to much it's because you're either misadjusting them too tightly or not lubing them adequately. You should be able to easily get 12 - 18k miles out of a stock chain if you take care of it.

Cheers
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

my bike currently has about 500 miles on it. the stock chain was adjusted properly when i picked it up. i have not adjusted it at all but noticed that the slack was getting a little too much. i use honda pro-lube after every ride or once a week whichever comes first typically. i had this problem on the last kat. i stretched it until 1) it was slapping the swingarm and 2) i ran out of adjustment. i have not really had a chance to ride that much given the weather and what not. plus the honey-do list and yardwork but this friday i am doing about 400 miles. i will see what happens on that ride. plan on adjusting before we head out fri morning.

Comment

i wanted to say that i appreciate everyone's help. i share this resource with everyone who will listen and typically take your advice over the dealerships. there is a lot of experience in these forums...when KP went down i felt a little lost. glad you guys picked up where kp left off. thanks!

Comment

May I suggest getting your 1st tune-up done before you put anouther 400 miles on? (if you haven't of course)

It's really important for the valves, and I would suggest not doing the ignition advancer until that first tune-up is done.

What does everyone else think?

Comment

Originally posted by knutty
                                my bike currently has about 500 miles on it. the stock chain was adjusted properly when i picked it up. i have not adjusted it at all but noticed that the slack was getting a little too much. i use honda pro-lube after every ride or once a week whichever comes first typically. i had this problem on the last kat. i stretched it until 1) it was slapping the swingarm and 2) i ran out of adjustment.
                                Something is wrong here. The stock adjustment should be 0.8 to 1.2 inches (go 1.0 to 1.1 for good life expectancy)... see the owner's manual. I bought my first Kat as a new 2000 model -- and got slightly over 17k out of the OEM chain before it had enough stretch to need replacement and there was still no significant damage/wear to the OEM sprockets at that point. At 28k miles, when I got rid of it, the second chain was still going strong. My newer Kat is now at slightly over 10k on the OEM chain and I have every reason to believe I'll get at least 14k out of it by the time it's ready to be replaced (i.e. - when I can get even one-half mm clearance off the rear sprocket when lifted away at the back center). If you chain is already stretched beyond the adjustment range, either it's been consistently over-tightened, or the wrong chain went on there (too many links), or you are dragging the bike up into the high RPM's in 1st gear a lot (since, due to gearing, 1st gear places the most torque load on the chain) or, and this may be a real possibility, the rear wheel isn't aligned correctly.

Either way, if the bike has 500 miles on it, take it to the dealer and have them replace it under warrantee and find the underlying issue.

Good Luck!
                                =-= The CyberPoet
                                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                                X