X

Trouble at idle.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PilotC150 View Post
    This seems like a good enough place to ask my question.

Just got the bike from my brother after it had been sitting for two years or so. It's a 2000 Kat 600 with 3500 miles.

I got it running after draining the fuel tank and putting in fresh stuff, changing the oil and putting in a new battery.

It starts up but will idle at about 800-900 rpm for about 30 seconds or so, with full choke, then will die. If i roll any throttle it will die.

After it dies by itself, it either won't start again, or takes a lot of coaxing to get it to start, then will die again very shortly after (5 seconds or so).

Does anybody have any ideas, or a direction to start looking, or a good place to look for the answer?
    Turn it to prime, get it started and give it tiny bits of throttle until it climbs to ~3k. Turn off prime. Wait until it warms up / the revs rise then ease down on the choke. My bike might take a few starts when it's cold to get it going, it's not a big deal. Don't lay on the starter for more than 5 seconds though, you'll burn it up.

Comment

Originally posted by jgust25 View Post
      Turn it to prime, get it started and give it tiny bits of throttle until it climbs to ~3k. Turn off prime. Wait until it warms up / the revs rise then ease down on the choke. My bike might take a few starts when it's cold to get it going, it's not a big deal. Don't lay on the starter for more than 5 seconds though, you'll burn it up.
      Thanks for the quick response.

What do you mean by "turn it to prime"?

This is my first bike and I'm still learning. I understand what the prime does, but how do I turn it on on the Kat 600?

EDIT: I figured out what you mean. I'll give that a try.

EDIT 2: Turns out the fuel selector knob won't turn at all. Is there a trick to getting it to turn? I tried pushing in but that didn't work, either.
      Last edited by PilotC150; 05-13-2008, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Mine just twists. I twist it counter clockwise and it works fine.

lol whats wrong with my choke trick its just a more exciting way of saying it

Also today I wanted to see what it would sound like at higher revs. So in neutral. I decide to rev it up to 6-7k and it died. Is it because it hasnt been revved past 3000 or so in a long time?

Comment

To OP, mine even does that when it's cold, it'll die going into first. I personally just let it warm up. Start the bike, get my gear on, back it out of the garage and I'm good to go. It'll still kill every once in a while, but I just blip the throttle a bit when going to first. Usually putting on the gear is enough time for it to warm up.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Originally posted by numtwo View Post
            Mine just twists. I twist it counter clockwise and it works fine.
            Maybe i'll have to take the fuel tank off....AGAIN, and tear the petcock apart.

Damn...

Comment

putting on my gear is plenty of time for mine to warm up. unless its like freezing out

Comment

Originally posted by PilotC150 View Post
                Maybe i'll have to take the fuel tank off....AGAIN, and tear the petcock apart.

Damn...
                It's firm, but it should turn freely. You may need a new pet cock, or you're turning it the wrong way.

Comment

Originally posted by jgust25 View Post
                  It's firm, but it should turn freely. You may need a new pet cock, or you're turning it the wrong way.
                  Well, it's "on" right now, and it won't turn either way.

So I'll take a look at it tomorrow. Hopefully if I can get it turned to "PRI" the engine will start and warm up and get everything going for the first time in two years.

Maybe that's why my brother stopped riding it in the first place, who knows.

Comment

Working...
                  X