X

Trouble at idle.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble at idle.

Well I finally managed to start my bike. The first time I started it it died right away after I added a little throttle. Then, after restarting it, which took a while, I thought I would put it in gear and move it forward a good 5 feet or so. As soon as I put it in gear with the clutch IN it dies. So now im frustrated. I RESTART for the third time and just decide to let it idle for a while. After a few minutes I apply some throttle. It holds strong and doesnt die. So now im all happy and try to put it in gear. It works! I put it in gear and move forward 5 feet or so and walk it back and repeat this about 10 times (it felt great! my first time moving the bike with the engine) So then I decide to take it out on the driveway and yard. I get out there and once I start moving it the bike begins to feel as light as a feather. So I thought I would practice some slow turning stuff. It was MUCH easier than I thought. From what I have read people have made it sound impossible, but I made myself feel better when I managed to do some tight stuff on a slow speed. Anyway then I decide to park it in the garage and let it sit so the oil can go into the screen.

Well I leave the bike there for hours and recently came back to check it out. I look at the oil and still nothing in the little screen. I try to start it up. It starts, I give a small bit of throttle, and it dies. So I try to start it up again and it rolls over and over and over and gets so close to that 1000 rpm but after a while I gave up. Got off the bike and as I was about to leave I said "one more time" so I put the key back into ignition, turn it, pull in the clutch, shift it to neutral, and press the button. It lives!! It turned on after about 5 seconds. So with my hopes up, and the engine running, I decide to put it into first and move forward again. I hold the clutch, while having my left toe move that lever into first gear....and it dies.....I sighed, put the side stand down, took the key out, checked the oil, and left. I wasnt surprised to find that the screen was still empty. However, the oil sign never did come on while it was running.

Are you checking the oil when the bike is on the side stand? To check the oil window, the bike must be level, you need to hold it upright while checking the oil. Putting it on the center stand will also not give a good reading.
    kirk

Comment

Well it was upright when I checked it once. Even on the side stand it shouldnt be totally empty...

Comment

Yes on the side stand it will show totally empty, put it on the center stand if you have one....have some one hold it y u check

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

Oh ok I will do that when I get home today. What about my idle problem? Any ideas on that? It seems fine after it runs for a while. Is it just because it hasnt been run well for a while?

Comment

sounds like you just need to let your bike warm up a bit before giving it any throttle. Pretty normal for a Kat (or any carb'd bike for that matter).

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Oh ok I thought something was really wrong with it.

How long should I let it warm up?

Comment

Mine seems to take 5 minutes if it's not cold outside. I've heard others say 10 minutes.

You're using the choke right? Start out at full choke and then gradually push it back in.

Comment

Nope. I didnt know the choke trick. Mechanically, why does that help?

Comment

"choke trick"

sorry. Yeah, just put the choke all the way on right before starting. After starting it slowly puch it back letting the RPM's lower. Try not to let the RPM's get out of hand.

Comment

Well yeah I couldnt think of anything else to call it lol

Comment

i like to rev it to about 10k for 2 or 3 minutes to get it warmed up

Comment

Originally posted by jgust25 View Post
                          i like to rev it to about 10k for 2 or 3 minutes to get it warmed up

my god.

Comment

TAKE THE CLASS omg, all these little questions are answered in the course. If you cant properly start the bike, theres a problem.. "choke trick" lmao

Comment

This seems like a good enough place to ask my question.

Just got the bike from my brother after it had been sitting for two years or so. It's a 2000 Kat 600 with 3500 miles.

I got it running after draining the fuel tank and putting in fresh stuff, changing the oil and putting in a new battery.

It starts up but will idle at about 800-900 rpm for about 30 seconds or so, with full choke, then will die. If i roll any throttle it will die.

After it dies by itself, it either won't start again, or takes a lot of coaxing to get it to start, then will die again very shortly after (5 seconds or so).

Does anybody have any ideas, or a direction to start looking, or a good place to look for the answer?

Comment

Working...
                              X