X

Emergency Braking?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emergency Braking?

I had to stop suddenly yesterday on my way home and felt the front end shake. It quickly stopped after I gave the front brake some relief. Did I brake hard enough to a point that I almost caused the front tire to skid? Just curious as this has never happened before and I have had to stop quickly before, but maybe not as fast as I had to yesterday. Ideas?
    2000 Kat 600
    "Fast Blue"
    Pic in Profile

Did you hit the emergengy brake release? Actually my best idea for you is to buy some progressive fork springs. It's likely you were sacking-out the front forks...
    '97 YZF1000R, '98 & '02 Bandit 1200's, '72 XS-2, '97 CBR900RR Project, '85 700 Interceptor, '75 RD350

Comment

Re: Emergency Braking?

Originally posted by 1BlueKat
      I had to stop suddenly yesterday on my way home and felt the front end shake. It quickly stopped after I gave the front brake some relief. Did I brake hard enough to a point that I almost caused the front tire to skid? Just curious as this has never happened before and I have had to stop quickly before, but maybe not as fast as I had to yesterday. Ideas?
      The real question is whether the shake is still there, easily reproduceable or if it was an one-time-thing. When you were stopping, were you perfectly upright, or leaned over in a turn?

There are several reasons this might have happened, including:
      front end chatter (harmonics of the tire/road interface matching the harmonics of the fork/spring interface);
      breaking hard enough to skid the tire over the ground,
      bouncing under load over an uneven surface,
      warped rotor;
      uneven brake caliper piston deployment;
      bad headstock bearings;
      uneven fork oil levels (uneven damping);
      unbalanced tire and/or flat spot on the tire from skidding

Without more details on whether this is still a problem and/or a close inspection of the brakes & front suspension, it's impossible to tell.

KNOW THIS:
      Your fork oil and oil seals should be changed every other year, and at least once every 4th year in all cases. Your bike is now 6 years out from date of manufacture, so if it hasn't been done, it's high time.

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

You should practice panic brakeing on a regular basis. Front and rear..

Comment

I wanna see him practice a rear panic brake...
          '97 YZF1000R, '98 & '02 Bandit 1200's, '72 XS-2, '97 CBR900RR Project, '85 700 Interceptor, '75 RD350

Comment

Thanks for the ideas. I need to get the bike in for a 15k maint. check. I will have them check fork oil while it is in.
            I have not had a problem with any shaking up to that point. Usually brakes smooth and even.
            Thanks again.
            2000 Kat 600
            "Fast Blue"
            Pic in Profile

Comment

Working...
            X