X

quick opinion needed.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quick opinion needed.

I am going to buy this kit http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=35600

Now i've read on this board that going -1 front+3back(13-50)is a great ratio. This site says stock is 14-47 and 14-49 is optimal. Any opinions on my getting 13-50 ? I've heard smaller front sprockets put more stress on chain having to turn a tighter corner, but can the chain this kit comes with handle the 13 ? I wanna be real quick off the line , but not so much so that wheelies become too easy.( i dont do them and dont want to)
    " The key to Immortality., is first living a life worth remembering." -St Augustine

15/47 is stock, so that setup would be -2/+3... That's on a 99, as quoted by CP.

Comment

Thanks for posting this because I am not sure about the gear changes either and have been looking at the same kits.

Comment

The low-down:

CyberPoet's katana sprockets page (includes % changes for all the sprocket combo's, what to watch for, etc), at MotorcycleAnchor.com, fabricators of the world's best motorcycle ground anchors and purveyors of other fine motorcycle accessories...

Yes, stock for the 98+ is 15/47.
        I would not recommend a 13 front to anyone on a Kat. Better to find a place that will sell you a significantly larger rear instead.
        KNOW THIS:
        1 tooth down the front is about the same as three teeth up in the back.

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
          KNOW THIS:
          1 tooth down the front is about the same as three teeth up in the back.
          That's a good point to remember. It's about percentages, so changing tooth count on a smaller ring has a greater effect than on larger rings. I also agree that a 13 tooth front sprocket is not the best choice.

Cyber, thanks for all the great info on your site!

Some other things about sprocket sizes...
          -Smaller sprockets rob more power than larger ones. I don't know how much of an effect this has in the motorcycle world, but it was of concern when choosing gear ratios when I used to moutain bike. Maybe the gurus around here will tell me that this is insignificant on a motorcycle. Personally, I would go up a few teeth in the rear before going down on tooth count in the front.
          -Small sprockets wear faster than larger ones, another reason for staying with large sprockets when possible. There is no real reason (IMO) to use an aluminum sprocket up front. For such a small rotating mass, a steel sprocket will have negligible extra inertia and will far outlast a similar Al one.
          -The weight of the chain is a much bigger concern, for those trying to reduce inertial mass. I BELIEVE the following to be true: Unless you are racing, there will be no noticable gains using an aluminum set of sprockets over a steel set. The length of each one's lifetime will be noticable.

Someone, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
          Ride like your life depends on it.

Comment

Originally posted by SoloScott
            Some other things about sprocket sizes...
            -Smaller sprockets rob more power than larger ones. I don't know how much of an effect this has in the motorcycle world, but it was of concern when choosing gear ratios when I used to moutain bike. Maybe the gurus around here will tell me that this is insignificant on a motorcycle. Personally, I would go up a few teeth in the rear before going down on tooth count in the front.
            I highly agree with this advice. Adding 6 to the rear is easier on the chain and sprockets than going -1/+3. The larger the sprocket, the better power-transference occurs between the chain and the sprocket without inducing undo wear. Further, the smaller the circle the chain has to turn, the more of the power gets turned into heat rather than being transmitted -- a small amount in terms of power loss, but a larger amount in terms of chain wear.

-Small sprockets wear faster than larger ones, another reason for staying with large sprockets when possible. There is no real reason (IMO) to use an aluminum sprocket up front. For such a small rotating mass, a steel sprocket will have negligible extra inertia and will far outlast a similar Al one.
            +1

-The weight of the chain is a much bigger concern, for those trying to reduce inertial mass. I BELIEVE the following to be true: Unless you are racing, there will be no noticable gains using an aluminum set of sprockets over a steel set. The length of each one's lifetime will be noticable.
            And there are "better" solutions out there to be found, such as hollow steel sprockets (ones with patterns cut out of the carrier to reduce the weight), and bi-metal and tri-metal sprockets (steel teeth mounted on an aluminum carrier hub -- tooth life of steel with most of the weight savings of aluminum). Sidewinder makes some nice tri-metal sprockets that will fit the Kat.

Personally, I don't believe in trying to save chain weight either, at least on a bike with a 500+ lb wet-weight. Durability beats the small performance gain you might get with a lighter-weight chain (example: #530 racing chains are usually 30% lighter than conventional #530 chains -- but are designed to only last for a couple races before they are replaced).

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

ok well if 15 i stock in front thats cool. i didnt want 13 i just wanted -1 in front. crap then i have to email ebay selling and change size. how about just going +6 in rear? and not even changing the front. Would this be easier
              " The key to Immortality., is first living a life worth remembering." -St Augustine

Comment

Originally posted by Badkitty
                ok well if 15 i stock in front thats cool. i didnt want 13 i just wanted -1 in front. crap then i have to email ebay selling and change size. how about just going +6 in rear? and not even changing the front. Would this be easier
                A bit more difficult to find a suitable sprocket, but far easier on the chain.

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                X