No announcement yet.
X

Just got back from test riding an R1 today

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thats funny, I talked to the dealer today about getting an all black r1. Just trying to decide if I want to sell mine first to put that as my down payment or just get the bike and sell the kat whenever. I have no need for two bikes. Although when I get my brand new bike, I will get an older 600 to do some stunts with. I am off tomorrow and trying my damndest not to go buy a new bike, but if I do, you guys will be the first to know of course. and as my good friend thaz says. The thread will mean nothing without pics. lol
    Corys alter ego

Big Cory
    SBFMC 707

Comment

I've been growing more fond of the GSXR1000. The new '05 model in my dream. To each is own, but I have had the opportunity to ride this beast and will ONE DAY get it =). The R1 I have also ridden, but it was an '02.

Go Vols! UT '05 Grad

Comment

I'm a suzuki tech, and I also do all the set up's and get ready's, so I've ridden pretty much anything thats out there. As far as liter bikes, the R1 and GSX-R 1000 are the top two, no doubt about it. I agree that the R1 is more comfortable and I like the styling slightly better, but as far a performance the GSX-R 1000 (05 at least) somewhat outshines the R1. The R1 just don't have the right off the line jump that Suzuki managed to get out of the 05 1000. All the way throught the powerband the GSX-R is just so raw, I love both bikes, but I'd have to go with the GSX-R 1000.

Comment

There's a comparison of the '05 GSXR1000 and '05 R1 in the latest issue of Roadracing World. Their conclusion is that the Suzuki narrowly edges the R1 on the criteria they rated them on (including contingency money for racing), but each had it's own areas that it was best at. The Gix had more power and more mid-corner stability, while the R1 made transitions much better and had more tractable corner exits for example... To each his own on those two bikes I guess, but if past history is any example, a new redesigned R1 should be on the street for '06. Personally, I'd wait on the either '05 bike for the moment and see what surprises Yamaha has in store for next year!
          '97 YZF1000R, '98 & '02 Bandit 1200's, '72 XS-2, '97 CBR900RR Project, '85 700 Interceptor, '75 RD350

Comment

There's also a comparo of the big 4 liter bikes, in sportrider's most recent issue.. the gix takes the crown, but not by much.. the main knock on the R1, was the lacking of mid range power vs. the other 3 , and it runs quite hot, which I also noticed in my ride.. but again, it seemd to have plenty of mid range punch for what I would like, and I can deal w/ the heat issue.. other than that, its just plain got a motor that wont quit!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Speed
              There's also a comparo of the big 4 liter bikes, in sportrider's most recent issue.. the main knock on the R1, was the lacking of mid range power vs. the other 3...
              Did you see this thread about how to get a bunch more midrange torque out of the R6? The same basic technique would work for the R1...

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPeot
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Yeah I remember it, good stuff CP! And so true about average riders not reaching the full potential on a daily basis of todays bikes. Heck many never reach the bikes full potential, so things like alittle less mid range torque largely go unoticed many times.

Comment

Working...
                X