X

Lost Key

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost Key

Soo.. long story short.. I had my key on my dresser and now I dont and it would be so much easier if I just had a new key. Anyone know how much locksmiths charge to make a new key when there isnt a spare to copy? Would it just be more cost effective for me to get a new ignition?
    sigpic"No good decision was ever made from a swivel chair." General George S. Patton

U.S. ARMY

saw a post here the other day where someone said $150 to make a key from nothing. That's all I can offer - hope it helps.
    I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

sigpic

Comment

I just had one made for my gas tank/under seat (my ignition had been replaced at somepoint so it was different). Cost me $45 to make the key from scratch and 2 total keys in the end.
      Katriders.com, we've got dumb answers!

Comment

I had a new key made for my Lincoln about a decade ago for $49.95.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

I found a guy out here that said he could do it, hes just gotta see if hes got a suzuki key sittin around before he figures out how much. Ill definitally be happy if its only like 40-50 bills.
          sigpic"No good decision was ever made from a swivel chair." General George S. Patton

U.S. ARMY

Comment

i think a regular suzuki car key can be used for the kat key. that is atleast what the locksmith used to make a duplicate of my '92 750.

rule of thumb, never ever just have one key. My bike came with 2 keys and a metal tab that had a special code to get it replaced if all keys are lost (i have a honda, don't think suzuki does that). I have the original with the code in a fire proof box bolted to the floor in my apartment, my regular one i use in the bike, and one at my parents house. That is at minimum.

it is a hard lesson learned, but not to harp on you. call the guy up and take him the gas tank lock(easiest to take out) and get a price before he does the work, that way you don't end up with a $100+ bill.

maybe it fell into a drawer or behind it?
            Last edited by BarMatt80; 05-02-2008, 06:43 PM.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Originally posted by BarMatt80 View Post
              i think a regular suzuki car key can be used for the kat key. that is atleast what the locksmith used to make a duplicate of my '92 750.

rule of thumb, never ever just have one key. My bike came with 2 keys and a metal tab that had a special code to get it replaced if all keys are lost (i have a honda, don't think suzuki does that). I have the original with the code in a fire proof box bolted to the floor in my apartment, my regular one i use in the bike, and one at my parents house. That is at minimum.

it is a hard lesson learned, but not to harp on you. call the guy up and take him the gas tank lock(easiest to take out) and get a price before he does the work, that way you don't end up with a $100+ bill.

maybe it fell into a drawer or behind it?

I bought the bike used and it only came with one key. Didnt really think much about a spare until it was too late. And no it didnt fall in a drawer.. it fell into a mad now ex. Its not worth my time talkin her into giving me the key or doin anything legal about it. Id just rather get a new key and be done with it. I dont like the idea of her havin a key to my bike much but shes across the country now so I think im pretty much free of vandalism.

U.S. ARMY

Comment

yeah i hear ya on being little to late. crazy stuff. there is a site that does sell new ignition locks for the kat, I think they were around $30. maybe i can find it, or someone else will post up a link.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Originally posted by Cas_One View Post
                  Soo.. long story short.. I had my key on my dresser and now I dont and it would be so much easier if I just had a new key. Anyone know how much locksmiths charge to make a new key when there isnt a spare to copy? Would it just be more cost effective for me to get a new ignition?
                  well a new ignition alone won't help you much, seeing as the seat and tank work off it as well. so if you go for a new ignition, you need the whole lock set. much cheaper to get a new key......

....unless your dresser is located in an environment where your lost key could fall into the wrong hands, and your bike disappears. then I would suggest a new lock set.
                  I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

check the back of your users manual. i have a little tab w/a code for mine. Most people will tape the tab to the manual & or write it in.
                    sola dosis facit venenum
                    (only the dose makes the poison)

Comment

I just recently had this problem with my FZ1.

Take it to a locksmith, have them pick the gas tank open, they'll take apart the gas tank lock, that'll more than likely give you most of the tumbler combinations they need to trial-and-error the final tumbler(s) for the ignition.

It ended up costing me $63 for 2 keys in Chicago. Alot less than I was fearing.

Comment

sometimes there is a key code number on the underside of the ignition lock cylinder. if you can get one lock off, the locksmith can make a key. if you're patient and have a set of small hobby files you can make your own key with enough putzin around. the gas cap lock is a good candidate, pull the whole cap assembly, flip the lock catch from underneath, and start carefully dissasembling. with enough patience, and minimum knowlage on how lock cylinders work, you can get the cylinder out and match a key to the pins. beware the tiny pin springs, they fly everywhere and hide well if you're not VERY carefull.
                        99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                        1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                        '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                        Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Working...
                        X