No announcement yet.
X

Any tips on getting use to the weight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any tips on getting use to the weight?

I was wondering if anyone had any tips on getting use to the weight on an 03 Kat 600. I am picking it up tonight and am little hesitant. I've only been riding for seven months now (about 2500miles), and had a GS500F. It only weighed a little over 300lbs and was VERY easy to manuever. I test rode the Kat down the street and back, but i had to stop and put my feet down doing a U-turn at the stop sign. The clip-on style handlebars are a little different also. I'm hoping I don't lay it over turning from a stop. I'm about 5'8" 210 lbs.

Welcome and congrats on the new toy! Just takes some time and practice to get comfortable handling the heavy beast at low speeds. You will find it to be a pretty compliant machine in a short period of time. Ride safe!
    2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
    2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

This thread kind of scared me:

First bike? Old rider that learned a new lesson?
      Post your questions, tips and experiences here so we can all learn from them!

Comment

I'm 5'7 and when I first got the kat was only about 155-160. I sometimes strugled with it. Now, since working out, im up to around 175 and I am much more comfortable. I also lowered the bike about an inch which I could not have been happier about doing. I have pretty short legs, so if you do too you might want to consider it. Tippy toeing iy just isn't safe.

Comment

Yeah, he lowered it a little bit a little and I could flat foot it fine.

Comment

I had the 750 as my first bike ... I'm 5'6" and back then only 125 pounds .. I'm also a girl so a lot less strength then a man the same size. Never had it lowered soooooooo it's bacicly a question of not only experience but also confidence in yourself.

And no .. never dropped it ... never dropped hubby's B12 or ZX.
            Guylaine
            Try and keep up now

Comment

It's been said here and I absolutely agree: Practice.

To me, it isn't so much about the weight as it is about a difference in power distribution. I went from the 600 to the 750 and it took about a month before I felt comfortable - knew where the power way and how the ol' girl handled at different speeds. Then again, after I jetted the carbs and installed a timing advancer - same thing. I had power where I didn't used to and needed to adjust my riding style to suit the bike.
              "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

5'7 / 200 here.

I found my '06 katana 600 to be much heavier than I expected, especially at slow speed turns.

Like everyone else said, its a feel you'll get used to. I was gittery at first but now dont even notice the weight much.

I can agree with a few of the above comments about backing it up tho.. I am pretty much tippy-toeing the bike out of my garage, and have to say thats the only issue I have with it now..
                Last edited by Shampue; 04-30-2008, 01:27 PM. Reason: I spel gud
                ~Austin
                2006 Katana 600 - Sold
                2008 CBR600RR - New Toy

Comment

5' 4 1/2" and a buck sixty. (the nurse the other day rubbed in the 4 1/2" as i'm shrinking, goldarnher) i never really noticed the weight of the Kat except when pushing it around in the driveway or garage. havent dropped it yet, but i can see where it could get away from ya easy.
                  99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                  1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                  '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                  Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Originally posted by GSkyX-R1000 View Post
                    I had the 750 as my first bike ... I'm 5'6" and back then only 125 pounds .. I'm also a girl so a lot less strength then a man the same size. Never had it lowered soooooooo it's bacicly a question of not only experience but also confidence in yourself.

And no .. never dropped it ... never dropped hubby's B12 or ZX.
                    Good Point. I've never laid a bike down yet and consider myself a pretty cautious rider. And on the other hand there is my neighbor who had a nighthawk 750 as his first bike and totaled it after an unexpected peg scraping on a turn in the first three months. I don't like taking chances and pushing my own comfort zone.

Comment

It just takes time and practice. Take it easy at first and you'll get used to it.
                      '98 Katana 600
                      '08 Boulevard C50T

sigpic

Comment

trust the Kat

The best advise I can give you is, don't drop the Kat! and wear protective gear, not just a jean jacket, whatever you can afford is better than nothing but certainly make an effort to upgrade your gear as you can afford it until you have adequate gear.
                        Having gear is not planning to drop'er, it is planning in case something unexpected happens.
                        Trust your Kat, she will always try to stay upright, and at super low speeds if you need to put your feet down, put them down! You got'em, use'em, just don't drop the Kat!
                        sigpic'06 750Kat, SCORPIO alarm, integrated turn sigs into smoked LED tail light, gun metal frt turn sigs & windshield, shovel MIA, AMSOIL throughout, TARGA tank cover, PIIA 130Db Sport Horns. 16-45 sprocket set-up

Comment

Originally posted by Absolutnati View Post
                          Everyone has their own experiences. What happen to that guy or anyone else does not really have to be your experience. Other than that ...

Practice

Practice

Practice

The most important thing I heard as a new rider on the street is "Ride your own Race". Don't let anyone pull you out of your comfort zone. As you grow in the art over time and miles, your comfort zone will expand.
                          The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

Comment

Originally posted by XPS1134
                            The only annoying thing is backing it out
                            Dude, quoted for truth. I stand next to it with my hand on the clutch lever and push it out with my right hand on the seat. Also, I have to pull the kickstand out towards me otherwise when you set the bike on it, it'll work it's way to the ground. Found that out the hard way.

Comment

I've been riding with two novice riders lately and what I remind myself constantly is to keep my riding style within their skill level. I usually push a little at a time when I see that their comfort zone grows. It is important to feed their desire to improve while keeping them and everyone else on teh road safe. I am trying to teach them to be responsible riders, and keep the stunting and racing for the SQUIDS and more experienced riders. Public roads are no place for stunting or racing.
                              More importantly, I am trying to pass on the lessons that were taught to me, especially because I came from the dirt to asphault.

Originally posted by jgust25 View Post
                              Dude, quoted for truth. I stand next to it with my hand on the clutch lever and push it out with my right hand on the seat.
                              what am I missing?? I always sit on my bike when I need to go backwards.
                              Last edited by baddkat; 04-30-2008, 04:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                              sigpic'06 750Kat, SCORPIO alarm, integrated turn sigs into smoked LED tail light, gun metal frt turn sigs & windshield, shovel MIA, AMSOIL throughout, TARGA tank cover, PIIA 130Db Sport Horns. 16-45 sprocket set-up

Comment

Working...
                              X