X

Is this normal...?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this normal...?

Forgive my asking something that may be common but I didn't see a thread after a search. I am new to the sport/touring world and purchased a Katana 750 with only 900 miles. Its a 2002. Bike sat for a while. I've since ran two tanks of fresh gas through it.

Anyway, I notice the bike lags a bit between 0-4000 rpms and really comes alive from there. Seems almost like it misses. I just received the service manual last night. I want to pull plugs and change fuel filter for starters but just curious on the low end performance.

jim
    Last edited by MULCH63; 04-29-2008, 08:42 AM.

Welcome to KR! Running fresh fuel through is a good start, but might not loosen up any varnish in the carbs (depending on how long it sat). Best bet would be to run some Seafoam or similar carb cleaner through the system in addition to the plug change. Kat's aren't really known for an impressive bottom end, and generally come alive in the 5K range. You can install an ignition advancer to boost the lower end performance without sacrificing top end power.
    2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
    2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Originally posted by diavolo View Post
      Welcome to KR! Running fresh fuel through is a good start, but might not loosen up any varnish in the carbs (depending on how long it sat). Best bet would be to run some Seafoam or similar carb cleaner through the system in addition to the plug change. Kat's aren't really known for an impressive bottom end, and generally come alive in the 5K range. You can install an ignition advancer to boost the lower end performance without sacrificing top end power.

Start with the basic tear down and clean of your carbs and go from there...
      "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

Welcome to KR!

Comment

Welcome to the wealth of knowledge and wisdom that is KatRiders.com .... Enjoy, my friend, enjoy ......
          The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

Comment

Update To Slight Miss...any Suggestions.

Well, I ran two tanks of fresh fuel with some carb cleaner. I pulled all 4 plugs and they look perfect. Bike has only 1200 miles. It still seems to have a miss/ stumble when you blip the carb and a little miss I believe.

jim

Comment

run some seafoam thru it for a couple tankfulls. if it does not clear up, you may need to take the carbs apart and clean them thoroughly.
              also, you should have your valves adjusted if it has not been done already.
              I love my Kat!!
              2000 burgandy 750

Comment

me thinks blocked/partial blocked pilot jets
                -2000 "750"

Comment

Mine pretty well falls on its face when it is cold in those low rpms, but once the engine is up to temp, it is good to go.

It is probably time for some maintenance. If you don't have a receipt from the PO for the valve adjustment and carb synch and even if you do, it is time to do a valve adjustment and while you are at it you might as well tear into the carbs and get them nice and clean, then sync.
                  Pics
                  Pics
                  No pics yet
                  Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

The majority had it ! Rip into carbs,valve adjust,sync carbs. "Hey honey I'll be in the garage the next week if you need me".:mrgreen:

jim

Comment

Working...
                    X