Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can always hire this guy

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi6N5Iyqfwk[/YOUTUBE]

Comment

What do you think my chances are if I just get on the bike and try to ride up one of the little ramps??

Im thinkin when the front tire hits the bed the rear tire will kick out the ramp and ill fall and get crushed to death by the bike, but maybe im wrong.
      sigpic"No good decision was ever made from a swivel chair." General George S. Patton

U.S. ARMY

Comment

It's do-able with 1 person if conditions are right (not too steep an angle on ramp, etc..) I'd hate to tell you no prob 1 person (sure some can do it) but I'd feel like a dick if something happened. Always play it safe and get a helper...one slip and down goes the bike (hopefully without injury to yourself as well). No value in trying to be a hero.
        2005 Katana 600

Comment

nose wheel

The brace holding the front wheel verticle will keep the bike upright. Learned that the hard way. Ever wonder why the plastic costs more than new jugs, pistons, connecting rods and bearings?

Comment

I will ride up on the truck

Originally posted by Cas_One View Post
            How should I transport my bike?

Is it easier to buy a ramp and some tie downs and carry the bike in the bed of my F150? Or would it be better to buy a trailer?

Im thinking the trailer would be the best way to go just because I dont see how I could get the bike in or out of the truck by myself.

Does anyone know of any cheap motorcycle trailers?
            (One that wont fall apart on the drive from Key West to El Paso)
            I have done this more than once

All I need is a 10' 2x12, a 4' 2x4, nail to one end and a grassy patch. put the end with the 2x4 on the tailgate. I have done it and every time Dave always says I am nuts. but he never got into trail riding. risky? I got insurance. Officer, I tried to stop and it just hit the truck. The grass was slicker than I thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Cas_One View Post
              What do you think my chances are if I just get on the bike and try to ride up one of the little ramps??

Im thinkin when the front tire hits the bed the rear tire will kick out the ramp and ill fall and get crushed to death by the bike, but maybe im wrong.

i rode the LTD up the ramp into the trailer ONCE. the front wheel cleared the ramp, and once the rear tire hit the ramp's metal attatchemnt plate it spun, spitting the ramp off the trailer and down the alley. next thing i knew i was tiptoes on the very back edge of the trailer, bike with the exhaust on the trailer bed, rear wheel spinning free under power, desperately trying to keep my balance, NOT drop the bike, and find the kill switch. One more inch twords the back and my toes would have missed the trailer bed and there would have been no way to keep the bike from goin down ugly with me prolly under it. Thank God my buddy was there to help keep the bike upright as i got off. we then had to he-man the fanny of a 460 pound bike up into the trailer without droppin it. This is a mistake i will NOT repeat anytime soon, guarinteed.
              99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
              1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
              '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
              Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Originally posted by ctandc View Post
                My buddy has an early 90's S10 that is exclusively used for runs to the dump pulling a loaded trailer, and hauling his quads / dirtbikes / motorcycles around....it's got 200K+ miles on it with the 4.3 and the 5 speed....of course we're not sure how many miles, since the speedometer cable broke about 5 years ago.
                My old 95 sonoma (2.2 5spd 250,000kms) hauled my bike from toronto to ottawa (450 kms) with one bike in it (5x9 landscape trailer), I then picked up another bike and did aprox another 80-100kms. Sure it wasn't meant for it, and 5th gear was a writeoff (unless on flat ground or slight downhill) but it made it and back no probs. I've also hauled my atv around with it no probs. Small trucks work just fine. Just gotta realize you're hauling a load, and adjust your driving accordingly.

I wouldn't recomend riding up the ramp. I do that with the atv, and one time as soon as I got the front wheel up in the box one of the tailgate straps snaped, the left ramp fell, and I was teetering on 3 wheels. Threw it in 4x and leaned over the bars onto the high front wheel. Gunned it, and almost ran straight through the front of the box Nice big dent in the box from hitting my spare (my spare tire was at the front so the rack wouldn't go through the glass).

Use two ramps (the arched ones). Take the gate off, and walk up beside the bike while feathering the clutch. Once in, set the sidestand, and loosly tighten your straps (don't tighten the sidestand side. you'll need the slack when it rights) now get on the bike, grab both front straps and pull, while pushing forward. now you can get off, and tie off the straps. then tie down the rear, put the gate back on, and drive to wherever you're going.

Comment

Working...
                X