• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Black_peter
    I agree it is silly, who here actually uses the "park"
    position?
    I do...

If I'm stopped on the side of the road or highway during a long road trip adjusting the load or checking something (esp at night), parked in a poorly-lit parking lot during heavy fog, a few other select times.

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

ya but isnt that what hazards are for ? and at least you know those are on
      " The key to Immortality., is first living a life worth remembering." -St Augustine

Comment

Originally posted by Badkitty
        ya but isnt that what hazards are for ? and at least you know those are on
        Hazard lights only appeared on the Kat in the '03 model; those of us with older Kats don't have them.

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by KatanaO215
          or you could just make sure you didnt turn it too far before you take the key out. Doesnt your switch have the letters on it?
          Letters rub off eventually , and it's REALLY easy to miss the detent when locking the steering head . That's why I got into the habit of turning it all the way , then back one .
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

<Nelson>
            Ha Ha
            </Nelson>

Isn't the price of a new battery enough to break the habbit?
            I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Originally posted by md86
              Originally posted by KatanaO215
              or you could just make sure you didnt turn it too far before you take the key out. Doesnt your switch have the letters on it?
              Letters rub off eventually , and it's REALLY easy to miss the detent when locking the steering head . That's why I got into the habit of turning it all the way , then back one .
              Yeah, I guess. But it just seems like operator error to me. You would think after doing it multiple times you would just adapt
              Visit www.knee-draggers.com And sign up now!

Comment

True ...
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by Range
                  just always train yourself to turn it ALL THE WAY...then back one detent
                  Thats the way I do it...
                  -----------------------
                  2000 Katana 750
                  K&N Filter and Jet Kit
                  Yoshi Slip-on
                  Katana Tank Bra
                  Polished bar ends
                  100W Zenon Headlight

Comment

--My prev. bike was a Valkyrie... I was in the habit of killing the engine with the handlebar (red) switch, had been doing it that way since I started riding back in '96. Left the key in the ignition once (once!) and forgot to turn it to "OFF" after scramming the engine - and of course the battery drained, in just a couple of hours.

--Got it jumped OK (had to buy cables) and
                    **modified my habit.** I no longer kill the bike with the red switch; park, shift to neutral, put k-stand down, get off the bike while it's still running, then physically turn the switch to OFF and take the key out.

--I also have a spare key handy.
                    Just food for thought. (Those Yuasa batts are d--ngood, and can take at least 2 full-drains and trickle-charges. But you really don't want to keep making the same mistake.) And I was d--n lucky nobody decided to steal the bike.

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                    There is one simple hardware solution (well, reasonably simple): replace your tail and 3rd eye bulb with LED replacements. These draw substancially less power than the stock bulbs and won't run your battery down at the same rate.

Now, that said, it's still easier to get in the habit of checking your rear light after you get off the bike, and getting into the habit of checking the key position when you take it out...

You know this is all bad karma for poking fun at someone else's after-run fan issue with their California model :P

Cheers
                    =-= The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Speed
                      I did this once.. didnt drain my battery fortunately, but now, I always turn it off and then 1 more to lock the front end, and then just to be save, I wave my hand in front of the parking light, just to make sure it isnt on.
                      oh i see. if it waves back its on if it doesnt its off right lol sorry
                      a voice came to me and said, sacrifice that which you love the most (my girl and my bikes)
                      so i lied and gave up my girl.

Comment

i did that for the first week i rode it, left the park light on. drained the battery all the time after shutting it down. but now i never turn it that far, even when i lock the bars.....

the little square reflector thing under the brake light is a light too? i don't have one, but was looking to get one. i've only seen pics of others. never knew it was a light, guess i need to get that entire assembly instead of just the $14 plastic piece...

"If you ain't first, you're last..." - Ricky Bobby
                        "Your stuck on an anger bridge man, you gotta cross the anger bridge and come back to the friendship shore..." - Magic Man

Comment

Originally posted by takirb
                          the little square reflector thing under the brake light is a light too? i don't have one, but was looking to get one. i've only seen pics of others. never knew it was a light, guess i need to get that entire assembly instead of just the $14 plastic piece...
                          It's the license plate illuminator.

Cheers
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I just turn the key back one click. Never use the steering lock, ever.
                            Ron
                            MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

Originally posted by crypt dog
                              Originally posted by Need4Speed
                              I did this once.. didnt drain my battery fortunately, but now, I always turn it off and then 1 more to lock the front end, and then just to be save, I wave my hand in front of the parking light, just to make sure it isnt on.
                              oh i see. if it waves back its on if it doesnt its off right lol sorry
                              yeah its magic dont ya know!

Comment

Working...
                              X