X

Is going down inevitable ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is going down inevitable ?

One of the oldest motorcycle cliche`s is. "It's not if you will go down, its when !" Ive said this before many times, as many of us have; and I believe it to be true. Even the most careful rider, the most experienced, safety minded, gear wearing, motorcyclist will inevitably at some point, have an accident of some sort. A deer or other animal, cager cutting you off, weather conditions, mechanical problem, or any one of many other scenarios.

Just my .02

You're thoughts.

I agree, It's not if it will happen but when it will happen.
    R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

for sure the odds are there that it will happen, but I just don't think about it. In 20+ yrs of riding, I have never gone down. I have left the road and ended up in someones backyard, but never went down. I look at it like anything else.....for sure you will get into a fender bender in your cage in your lifetime. You will also probably have to have a wisdom tooth pulled, lose a job, get divorced and maybe break a bone playing sports. It's just one of many undesireable things that can happen. I just think you shouldn't "expect" it to happen. Be safe and responsible and keep your eyes open and you drastically cut the odds down that it will happen. And with the proper gear you cut the risk of injury as well. Then again, I know some old farts in their 50's who have been riding for many many years who never have gone down. So I believe that the odd few can spend their whole life riding with no mishaps.
      Just don't cloud your mind with the fear of dumping that you make yourself paranoid on the road. That can be just as dangerous.
      I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Hmm My thoughts? If you think about going down, it will happen. I shall go deeper into what that means. You think about it everytime you hop on your bike, You see stories about it, Ect ect. You have basically glued that thought into your mind. You have just scared yourself. You cannot be scared on a bike, you have to have confidence. If you keep on thinking on every ride that your going down, you will forget what your doing and Bam..Down you go.

That made sense to me...but alot of the things i say only make sense to me

Comment

We're talking motorcycles right? .....

Comment

:

kickit...=\ thats just horrible

Comment

I went down once.

No, seriously, I did! With a girl too!

Jeez you guys have dirty minds!
              Kan-O-Gixxer!
              -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
              -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
              -Ohlins Susupension
              -Various Other Mods

Comment

ah, I dont think its true. Im sure a large percentage of people who ride for many years will go down, but Im not sure its 100% certainty
                Visit www.knee-draggers.com And sign up now!

Comment

Sooner or later. I dont know nobody that ride more of ten years without crash, at least one little drop.
                  PICSSSS!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
                    I went down once.

No, seriously, I did! With a girl too!

Jeez you guys have dirty minds!
                    I remember the story , too ! Or at least part of it . She wouldn't get off the bike until you said it was cool , right ? So while you guys were on the ground , she was still on/under the bike ?
                    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by gsxkatana600
                      Hmm My thoughts? If you think about going down, it will happen. I shall go deeper into what that means. You think about it everytime you hop on your bike, You see stories about it, Ect ect. You have basically glued that thought into your mind. You have just scared yourself. You cannot be scared on a bike, you have to have confidence. If you keep on thinking on every ride that your going down, you will forget what your doing and Bam..Down you go.

That made sense to me...but alot of the things i say only make sense to me
                      Oh , I never thought I'd go down either . I was riding almost three years before it DID finally happen . And like I said , I never thought it would . I was overconfident . Not cocky mind , I just wasn't going to crash . Your best bet is to TRY not to think about it too much . But it COULD still happen .
                      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I do believe that eventually everybody will be involved in an accident of some sort, regardless of who (or what) causes it. But I agree with gsxkatana600 in that if you're scared about it everytime you ride, your chances of it occurring sooner (and/or more frequently) are greatly increased.

I think the best you can do is be prepared for it to happen, but don't dwell on the possibilites of a crash.
                        Nick www.naskie18.com Googletalk: naskie18 AIM: naskie18

Comment

Yup, it was pretty funny. Nurse Becky was riding with me, and she knows she is not supposed to get off the bike until I say too. Well, we had a real slow drop, I was doing a turn around. Well, the bike slowly started to fall. I tried to hold it up, but it was just to much. Ended up landing on the let side, and we are just kinda sitting there, in the postion that you would normally ride in, and I am waiting for her to get off, and she ain't moving. Thats when I remembered that I had to tell her it was OK for her to get off. So I let her know it was cool, and she climbed off, and so did I. Picked the bike right back up, gave a few minutes for the carbs to drain a bit, and off we went. Had a bit of a sore wrist, but no scratches or anything to the bike.

I tired though, I really wanted to raise your insurance rates. I think when I get home tonight, I am going to go sit on the bike, with no gear of course, and have my roomate knock me over with it. Just to raise your rates.
                          Kan-O-Gixxer!
                          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                          -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                          -Ohlins Susupension
                          -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by KatanaO215
                            ah, I dont think its true. Im sure a large percentage of people who ride for many years will go down, but Im not sure its 100% certainty
                            +1 on that.

Even though i have lowsided twice in 8 years of street riding. I honestly believe neither were my actual fault. neither was speeding and one was fine gravel mid corner leaned full and the front washed out, and the other was full lean into a corner and came upon a omish buggie and had nowhere to go and grabbed a handfull of front brake. but i have went down but like katana0215 said I dont think everyone who rides does....But a big majority will...
                            Um I dont know any wise quotes so go read katansoldiers quote in his signature!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I have been riding since 1989. My first accident was in japan I took my CBR 900 over to Okinawa. A drunk japanese lady killed my friend and put me in the hospital for 6 weeks. Second time I was going thru an intersection and a old couple ran a stop sign an hit me but I saw them so I went down before they ran my KZ 1000 over. Third time just Saturday I got hit from behind but this wasnt bad and I was lucky. Every time I have been hit I had the helmet jacket and gloves on. In Japan I hit the curb so hard I cracked the helmet. I had two concussions from that one plus broken bones. I have had my 3 so its clear sailing from now on.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X