X

Offbeat question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offbeat question

Would a Katana run after an electromagnetic pulse attack?

your ignition is controlled by electronics (cdi and pickups) ....

i wouldn't wanna take the risk and generate an E.M.P to test it....

on the other hand i wouldn't be off the road, still got my old Bonneville to fall back on if it happened
    it ain't broke ....

i ain't fixed it enough

Comment

Is there a specific threat or information that your privey to that we should know about?

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Originally posted by Gytrdunkat View Post
        Is there a specific threat or information that your privey to that we should know about?
        Its actually one of my greatest irrational fears--but the fact that I recognize it as irrational doesn't make it go away.

Comment

I am not sure what it would do. By the way, do your friends call you Bin Laden? Just asking.
          American by birth, Italian by the grace of God

Comment

Originally posted by fireman1724 View Post
            I am not sure what it would do. By the way, do your friends call you Bin Laden? Just asking.
            Now you've gone and got the attention of the NSA!

Comment

if the kat is running or turned on it will be.. emp kill powered electronics..

but what makes you ask?
              2001 Kawasaki zx1100

2000 Kat 750, in 600 Yellow. (GONE but not forgotten)

Bike pics link: http://s422.photobucket.com/albums/pp310/smitty600/

Comment

sounds like close encounters talk to me....

Comment

The most effective defence against electromagnetic bombs is to prevent their delivery by destroying the launch platform or delivery vehicle, as is the case with nuclear weapons. This however may not always be possible, and therefore systems which can be expected to suffer exposure to the electromagnetic weapons effects must be electromagnetically hardened.
                  The most effective method is to wholly contain the equipment in an electrically conductive enclosure, termed a Faraday cage, which prevents the electromagnetic field from gaining access to the protected equipment. However, most such equipment must communicate with and be fed with power from the outside world, and this can provide entry points via which electrical transients may enter the enclosure and effect damage. While optical fibres address this requirement for transferring data in and out, electrical power feeds remain an ongoing vulnerability.

Where an electrically conductive channel must enter the enclosure, electromagnetic arresting devices must be fitted. A range of devices exist, however care must be taken in determining their parameters to ensure that they can deal with the rise time and strength of electrical transients produced by electromagnetic devices. Reports from the US indicate that hardening measures attuned to the behaviour of nuclear EMP bombs do not perform well when dealing with some conventional microwave electromagnetic device designs.
                  It is significant that hardening of systems must be carried out at a system level, as electromagnetic damage to any single element of a complex system could inhibit the function of the whole system. Hardening new build equipment and systems will add a substantial cost burden. Older equipment and systems may be impossible to harden properly and may require complete replacement. In simple terms, hardening by design is significantly easier than attempting to harden existing equipment.
                  An interesting aspect of electrical damage to targets is the possibility of wounding semiconductor devices thereby causing equipment to suffer repetitive intermittent faults rather than complete failures. Such faults would tie down considerable maintenance resources while also diminishing the confidence of the operators in the equipment's reliability. Intermittent faults may not be possible to repair economically, thereby causing equipment in this state to be removed from service permanently, with considerable loss in maintenance hours during damage diagnosis. This factor must also be considered when assessing the hardness of equipment against electromagnetic attack, as partial or incomplete hardening may in this fashion cause more difficulties than it would solve. Indeed, shielding which is incomplete may resonate when excited by radiation and thus contribute to damage inflicted upon the equipment contained within it.
                  Other than hardening against attack, facilities which are concealed should not radiate readily detectable emissions. Where radio frequency communications must be used, low probability of intercept (ie spread spectrum) techniques should be employed exclusively to preclude the use of site emissions for electromagnetic targeting purposes. Appropriate suppression of UE is also mandatory. Communications networks for voice, data and services should employ topologies with sufficient redundancy and failover mechanisms to allow operation with multiple nodes and links inoperative. This will deny a user of electromagnetic bombs the option of disabling large portions if not the whole of the network by taking down one or more key nodes or links with a single or small number of attacks.

and that's just the begining lol..I wear my tinfoil hat too LOL

So line your garage with lead and have it run into a ground like a lightning rod
                  is the cheapest form of EMP security
                  Last edited by Dingo; 04-16-2008, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Hey, it could happen. I heard they are testing those types of weapons out at area 151 right now...

Comment

I have seen a lot of questions, but this one is interesting. Why do you want to know?
                      2007 Honda CBR600rr
                      2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by smitty600 View Post
                        if the kat is running or turned on it will be.. emp kill powered electronics..

but what makes you ask?
                        I just got to thinking about it, the fact that it isn't fuel injected and is relatively low tech, which I like, because I can actually work on it as opposed to any of the cars that I have. So one thought led to another and I just thought, "if it is so simple that even I can work on it, is it simple enough to survive an EMP?"

Plus I unhooked the throttle position sensor once and it seemed to run fine, but I don't know what the TPS really does.

Comment

yeah, normally it would be a wierd question...but with the possibilty of another
                          attack from terroists is very likely. I have often wondered the same thing.
                          Will I be able to fly a plane after such an attack, etc...I think it's nuts too
                          but I have a plan if the Sh*t hits the fan.. which is get my family safe..if not possible
                          then do my best to survive and save as many as I can. Scary shi*t but I have it deep
                          in the back of my mind
                          Last edited by Dingo; 04-16-2008, 06:51 PM.

Comment

okay - but stupid question, off subject. Wasn't there a Katana in the movie "The Stand"??
                            "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

i dont think I remember that...unless a kat was in the bike shop where they stole the 2 they rode out on. I saw that movie a few times...I think I'd remember a Kat..might have been a pre...prob was a pre..since that movie is kinda old

Comment

Working...
                              X