X

Tank bubble!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tank bubble!

I have a bubble on my tank and it seemed to be just the paint riseing up, but then a day ago or so I noticed that now there is a small pin hole on the side of the bubble. So I put my nose up to it and i smell gas! Is there anyway that I could do a repair to it with out doing something so serious as the POR15?
    Sorry I cant get pics untill a couple of days.

A bubble rising up under the paint and having fuel in it indicates that the tank's integrity is shot -- it's rusted all the way through in at least one spot, which means it's likely to be very close to rusting through in many spots (esp. on the underside, where water gets trapped when it's in the tank).

At this point, in theory, you have multiple options, but the only good option, IMHO, is replace it with a tank that isn't structurally weakened in multiple places because of rust.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Comment

Once again, I agree with CP
        American by birth, Italian by the grace of God

Comment

Ok I disagree...get some gas tank epoxy and scrape the area and apply...or strip the whole tank and see if there are other cancer spots...then apply epoxy as needed...

Ok maybe Cyber has the "most safe" solution but hey it's only the tank...filled with explosive, expensive, liquid that can catch fire and/or blow up...but you decide...
          Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
          Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

I would just get a new tank if it were me.
            2007 Honda CBR600rr
            2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jax View Post
              Ok I disagree...get some gas tank epoxy and scrape the area and apply...or strip the whole tank and see if there are other cancer spots...then apply epoxy as needed...
              If you do that, strip the inside of the tank too with a rust-remover AND THEN strip the outside to make the call...

Ok maybe Cyber has the "most safe" solution but hey it's only the tank...filled with explosive, expensive, liquid that can catch fire and/or blow up...but you decide...

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Look for a good used tank. - I'll probably cost you less in the end.
                My current rides: (see my garage for a complete history of my bikes)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                  If you do that, strip the inside of the tank too with a rust-remover AND THEN strip the outside to make the call...

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  I'm glad you understood the humor...I just wanted to give the other option and some reality to this situation....
                  Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
                  Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
                  Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

I had a small pin hole on my old virago. It was just my commuter adn i didint want to spend the cash on a used tak. i cleaned the area and applied JB weld over the pinhole. Was supposed to be a temp fix, but I rode it for another year and a half (40k miles ) and it never leaked again. i actually forgot about it.
                    Watching Obama run this country is like watching a train crash in slow motion.

Comment

Originally posted by frobotz View Post
                      I had a small pin hole on my old virago. It was just my commuter adn i didint want to spend the cash on a used tak. i cleaned the area and applied JB weld over the pinhole. Was supposed to be a temp fix, but I rode it for another year and a half (40k miles ) and it never leaked again. i actually forgot about it.
                      What kind of JB weld did you use? JB weld stick, water, or etc.?

Comment

Working...
                      X