X

89 750 Kat still not running very well

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89 750 Kat still not running very well

Hi guys...I got out there today and cleaned carbs and blow out pilot jets and holes. It defiantly made the bike start better and at least idle a lot nicer.

I still feel things are not right... here is my list of stuff I may need help.

1. When the bike idles I touch all the exhaust pipes and number 4 is not getting as hot as the other three. I did clean the pilot jets.
    It does ref up and gets hot when turning around 4K +.

2. I tried to use a manometer to carb synch but was not successful. I was hardly moving from the white spot barely into the red area. Do I have a vacuum issue. The hoses are a little old.
    When I opened the plastic valves a little further the things started bouncing all over the place.

3. The idle sometimes sits very well at around 2k and once in a while it drops lower and lower and than dyes.

4. When I ref it up, how fast should it drop down to idle (1.5k), it drops down to around 3k and than slowly goes down to idle.

Just for a newbie knowledge. If I would forget to put the vacuum tube on between carb 4 and fuel tank, will it have issues when opening the throttle?

Another question regarding the carbs. In my Suzuki manual it shows to have air vent hoses (T's between carb 1-2 and 3-4), when I look at mine I only have a T between 1-2. Looking at the carbs 3-4, there is not even enough space to fit a T in between. Should this one be there???

Still looking for some info's how to get the right poor mans jet job done on my main needles for my slip on Kerker.

Okay I guess this is all right now. Appreciate any advice...

Jens
    --- 1989 Katana 750 ---

my other Suzuki GS450E had worn and a torn carb diaphragms (same CV setup) and it caused that weird idle fluctuation/slow drop in idle. just a thought...
    1993 Suzuki GSX600F

Comment

The hanging idle. (idle not dropping quickly to 1100 rpm) means you have an air leak or the pilot mixture screw setting is too lean.

Make sure the vacuum caps are all in place and no lines are missing or not plugged in
      98 GSX750F
      95 Honda VT600 vlx
      08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
        The hanging idle. (idle not dropping quickly to 1100 rpm) means you have an air leak or the pilot mixture screw setting is too lean.

Make sure the vacuum caps are all in place and no lines are missing or not plugged in
        Air Leak, I have sprayed WD40 and even Carb Cleaner and the intake and carbs, I did not notice any change in idle.

To LEAN means, I have to take the A/F screw a little bit out????
        Currently I'm at around 2 1/4. Well my special screw driver for the A/F comes on Monday, I will change it right on the bike with it running...?
        --- 1989 Katana 750 ---

Comment

Dnarg if you like pm me your number. I can call and try and help you out since I have the same bike. My idle hangs up at 2000 then drops down to 1500 where I have it. It has done this for the last 3 years now. It runs great and I have kinda given up getting to stop. It could be the throttle cable being worn and not retuning all the way. May want to replace that. I am going to replace mine here soon.
          www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Originally posted by HS2020 View Post
            Dnarg if you like pm me your number. I can call and try and help you out since I have the same bike. My idle hangs up at 2000 then drops down to 1500 where I have it. It has done this for the last 3 years now. It runs great and I have kinda given up getting to stop. It could be the throttle cable being worn and not retuning all the way. May want to replace that. I am going to replace mine here soon.
            Thanks HS first need to go church with family (Palm Sunday). After that I hope to get back to the bike...throttle cable sounds right since I'm sure it is the original and it even looks old...

Like in other post's I really notice that the bike was not well maintained, as the PO stated.

I may try to get some video with the bike running and may post the sound clip.
            I have been impressed by previous posts, where KR members could diagnose issue from that...
            --- 1989 Katana 750 ---

Comment

Yep that helps out a lot. That will also help out others who are having the same problem.
              www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Okay I have had the bike running today with the camcorder on.
                Please hear the sound of the engine. This is started first time today so it is always a little hard to get it running.

I also attached some pictures...

What you can see in this picture is the mentioned air hose T, I guess there goes a hose, I have the hose but not attached.
                carb1-2.JPG
                carb1-2-3.JPG
                In the next picture you see the space between 3 and 4 being not even big enough to fit one of the T's.
                carb3-4.JPG
                I also noticed that when I was running the bike after ref-ing it up above 5k all of a sudden there shot fuel out of the air hose between 1 and 2. Is that normal?
                --- 1989 Katana 750 ---

Comment

I know it looks like a tight fit but the right diameter hose will fit in there with some persuasion

Did you also check the floats (freely moving) and check the float height when you cleaned the carbs?

Comment

Yes I will get back into the carbs once more, hey I'm really getting good at this now...
                    I have not checked the float hight yet. I was wondering if I should take the carbs all off the rails... I just try to avoid this at this time still...
                    But I think they need a nice "deep soaking"...
                    It felt good taking it up and down the road on Saturday...

I guess I need a better carb tune tool... can't buy one at this point in time.

Maybe some one around Minneapolis has one her could borrow me for a couple weeks. Next week is Eastern, we are leaving town, so will be back at it after Eastern.

Any one has any comments on the youtube clip? I'm looking for more advice around the low throttle behavior of carb 4.
                    --- 1989 Katana 750 ---

Comment

In between carbs 1&2 is a fuel conenction and in between 3&4 is a fuel conenction.The vent tube is on the outside of carb 4.That space is suppose to be there. That is what mine looks like. Sounds like the bike is not getting enough fuel. I would also check the fuel air mixture as well. I would put them about 2 1/4 turns out to start with. Clean them up like you said you would. Also your idle screw on the left side of the bike could be turn way down as well.
                      Last edited by HS2020; 03-16-2008, 08:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                      www.mopowersports.com

Comment

In between carbs 1&2 is a fuel conenction and in between 3&4 is a fuel conenction.
                        I know about the fuel connections.
                        The vent tube is on the outside of carb 4.
                        I thought this is the vacuum hose, that must be something a little more than just a vent tube, since when I was missing this one it really run funny.
                        That space is suppose to be there.
                        you mean the space between 3 and 4 above the fuel line T? Which does not have a T in between nor a vent tube? The suzuki book calls for a T and a vent tub.
                        That is what mine looks like. Sounds like the bike is not getting enough fuel. I would also check the fuel air mixture as well. I would put them about 2 1/4 turns out to start with. Clean them up like you said you would. Also your idle screw on the left side of the bike could be turn way down as well.
                        What do you think about the fact that fuel bubbled out of the vent tube between carb 1 and 2... that kind of first scarred me since it happened when I run the RPM higher than 5k and let it go down back to idel almost kind of gushed out there.
                        --- 1989 Katana 750 ---

Comment

in my opinion
                          the way it sounds , listening to it on youtube. and because you said one pipe stays cool.
                          the bike is obviously running on 3 cylinders
                          check for spark on the cylinder with the cool pipe
                          if there is spark, recheck the carb for that cylinder, make sure nothing is pluggin it up and keeping it from getting fuel
                          vacuum leaks at that cylinder?
                          valve adjustment for that cylinder?
                          compression on that cylinder?
                          89 kat 750
                          2X 85 fz 750
                          03 1100 v-star
                          86 fz600 gawd I love this bike!!

Comment

Originally posted by dnargsiefil View Post
                            Maybe some one around Minneapolis has one her could borrow me for a couple weeks. Next week is Eastern, we are leaving town, so will be back at it after Eastern.
                            I don't have mine with me..
                            Make one. It's easy and will get you close enough..

Comment

Working...
                            X