Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Measuring your lean with scrape marks....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
    Originally posted by Black_peter
    I really gotta get new tires!!!
    I still have about 3/4" of chicken strip..
    Every time I tip into a corner with a good surface, good view and stable speed, it feels like the tire is coming out from under me.
    Everything feels good and stable but I get that queasy "about to low side" feeling.
    It's not the lean angle, it just feels like when I hit the chicken strip the tire looses traction.
    Possible?
    Very easily possible, especially depending on the age and brand/make of the tires... I know that I used to start getting uncomfortable within 1/8 - 1/4" of the edge of my Z4 rears on most roads -- but that was with the bike already more than 45-50 degrees canted over here in Florida (where everything is flat); at the gap, I go to the edge without issue.

You might want to try this:
    Put the bike on the centerstand. Grab a pail of sand or some "soft" scotchbrite (I don't remember what color the "soft" formulation is, but normally ScotchBrite pads are color-matched to their stiffness), spin the tire and rub the sand or the scotchbrite against it to scuff up the chickenstrips. You just need to remove the "polished" looking finish, not sand off the whole of it.

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    it could also be a matter of perception. I know that when I first started doing corners I had to hit them slow (slower than in a car) because when I leaned I got disoriented and lost my confidence. I found that this was due to my head position. I was leaning my head at the same angle as the bike and not keeping my eyes level like you're supposed to. now that I've re-trained myself I'm able to take corners with much more lean and feel a lot more confident about my ability to maintain my line and adjust if necessary.

I've also been playing with moving my weight off the bike to the inside/outside of the turn to see how it affects the lean angle. My riding partner is actually kindof amazed at how little lean I use these days to take the same corners he's almost scraping pegs on.

Comment

And all this time I thought you weren't cool unless you were dragging parts
      Kan-O-Gixxer!
      -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
      -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
      -Ohlins Susupension
      -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
        I'm still dragging your fairing's nose being my bike to be cool... it's on a rope

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
          Originally posted by SweetLou
          I'm still dragging your fairing's nose being my bike to be cool... it's on a rope

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          I knew there was a gremlin in the Garage... I just never suspected it to be you!!!!

Evil!!!!

When shipping it back to me, please remember to include popcorn.
          Kan-O-Gixxer!
          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
          -Ohlins Susupension
          -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by TemtnF8
            it could also be a matter of perception.......

I've also been playing with moving my weight off the bike to the inside/outside of the turn to see how it affects the lean angle. My riding partner is actually kindof amazed at how little lean I use these days to take the same corners he's almost scraping pegs on.
            I don't think thats it..
            It definatly feels off, a general slide, disconnection type of feeling.
            Like loosing the front end of your car. (when it starts to "push")
            I'm getting my butt out of the seat now!! I have little confidece in the tires..
            Also I'm keeping my head up and looking out not down.

I'm gonna give Cyber's idea a try.. Let you know

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
              I'm gonna give Cyber's idea a try.. Let you know
              Which one, the one of dragging my parts behind the bike from a rope?!?!?!
              Kan-O-Gixxer!
              -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
              -Ohlins Susupension
              -Various Other Mods

Comment

Well, at least we now know how CP gets rid of his chicken strips.

Also, why would you ever move your weight to the outside of the corner? Unless you're talking parking lot speeds...
                -Steve

Comment

At speed you wouldn't under normal conditions, but in the course of testing a theory you must try all variables, right? Besides, if you want to get rid of chicken strips at lower speeds and shallower turns, it makes sense, right?

Comment

Originally posted by stevnmd
                    Well, at least we now know how CP gets rid of his chicken strips. .
                    Only if the tires are brand new and I can't wait to rail...
                    I haven't done it on a Kat yet...
                    The gap usually takes care of it for me

Also, why would you ever move your weight to the outside of the corner? Unless you're talking parking lot speeds...
                    To avoid hitting your head on a mail box :P

Cheers
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I wish I could get rid of my big old chicken strips...

Then again, those are the chicken strips on the smallest bike in this picture...
                      -Steve

Comment

Steve...when you gonna start posting up Track day experiences (I wanna see that Gix on it's side!)

Comment

Looks like you favor your right side (going lower in right turns than left turns)...

Are those the Pirelli Diablo Stradas? If so, how do you like them?

laughing!
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

my chicken strips are almost as big as yours, steve. in fact I am in need of a new tire cuz the middle has hit canvas. and this doesn't mean I am slow or don't hit the curves, cuz I do. I keep up to pretty much anyone I have ever ridden with...up to the point where I feel they are not riding safely. I really haven't paid attention to what my technique really is...I just ride...it just comes natural.....but I still have big chicken strips. I am a pretty fair size guy....6'1 200lbs....so I think it is my body weight when I slide my butt over.
                            I have ridden with hard leaning of the bike, but I think I like my present technique better. I ride with a passenger at least 50% of the time and I can tell you that not everyone on the back of a bike likes a hard lean...plus it is dangerous if they freak out and start squirming around. And you don't need to lean half of what you can to start freaking them out. So I changed my technique in order to still buzz through the turns and not freak out my passenger. It works well enough that I just adopted it to my solo riding as well.
                            So if you want to get rid of your strips, do it cuz you would like to achieve the lean, and NOT because you are worried about what others will say when they see your chicken strips. There is no need for folks to put added pressure on a riding buddy by using the strips to judge his riding abilities. A rider has enough crazy shit to watch for on the road without having to worry about what his buddies are going to say about his leaning. Learn to use your body weight correctly and you can achieve the same RESPONSIBLE speed through a turn with less lean.
                            If someone looks at my tire and points out my chicken strips, and makes any kind of comment...well, I will either just snicker to myself and ignore it.....or I will say, "fuck off with your chicken strips dude", depending on the mood I am in.
                            I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Does everyone not realize that the chicken strips Steve posted up are on his mini-bike?

Comment

Doh! I see that now.
                                I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Working...
                                X