X

Performance Upgrades - worth it???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Performance Upgrades - worth it???

I have a '95 Katana 600 with K&N air filter, 5 Degree Ignition advancer and run Mobil1 Synthetic oil.

My question is would it be worth it to replace some parts in an effort to get more power and handling or should I just look for a different bike (ie. 750 Kat or something along those lines).

I'd look into a complete exhaust (4 into 1). Suggestions???
    Also, from what I have learned here, I would also then have to re-jet. Possibly a Stage I or Stage II (not sure for street driven).

And then when it comes time to replace the chain, I'd probably swap sprockets as well.

Or....

Should I just look at getting into a more powerful sport-cruiser?
    '95 Suzuki GSXF Katana 600
    PurpleonBlack

Just my opinion, but I think you are wasting your money with the synthetic oil. aside from the few on here and a few others I talk to, the majority of people I know in the mechanical field say it is not really worth the extra expense. Some even say that in the long run with wet clutches, it does more harm than good. I ran it for one season and switched back....and I logged over 120k miles on my kat without it.
    as far as upgrading with more stuff for more power...well, it all depends on what plans you have for the bike. If you plan on keeping it pretty much forever, then there is much you can do. But if you think you will trade in the next few years, don't bother. You will just lose the money you invest in it. You wont get back anymore than maybe...if your lucky...30% of what you put into it.
    That is only my opinion though. Nothing more.
    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

This is a response to my style of riding, and to what I want out of my Katana.

I personally think handling upgrades are more worthwhile and cheaper to boot. Power gains are very minimal and require precise tuning to get the most out of any power mods.....of course there are exceptions though, such as big bore kits (but those are obviously expensive)

I don't worry too much about how fast I can travel a straight line, cause with tons of power mods, I'll still neve catch supersports/bikes

I covet my comfort while riding, maintaining sport handling, and durabilty in a daily comuter, long distance tourer, and twister.

Comment

If you can work on a bike, and in turn improve its performace and styling, its always worth it. A job done yourself is a work of art never to be matched.

Comment

If this is a bike you can see yourself still having in 5 years down the road, then go with the upgrades. If not, then I would stay away from the more expensive ones.

Now, if you really want to upgrade, I know there are a couple members here that are selling some 1100 engines that will bolt right into your frame!!!

Comon, doesn't anyone want a faster kat than me?????
          Kan-O-Gixxer!
          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
          -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
          -Ohlins Susupension
          -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by Lou
            You know lou, if I had of stayed stock, you might have taken me....being a lighter and newer frame and all.....but now, well....you can only dream :P
            I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

It highly depends on how attached you are to the bike, what you have sunk into it and your personal feelings...

In terms of raw cost-effectiveness, buying a similar year Kat 750 and selling the Kat 600 is the most effective way of adding horsepower. Example: the price difference (used) between a 2k Kat 600 and Kat 750 is about $500 according to NADA price guides. There is simply no way that $500 worth of other upgrades will cause a 600 to out-perform the 750.

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

If you like how your bike looks and feels then you might want to keep it. That 4 into 1 will make it sound alot better too, which is important to some people.

Comment

Put a NOS sticker on it and you will be spanking Hayabusas all day long. :smt037

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                    It highly depends on how attached you are to the bike, what you have sunk into it and your personal feelings...

In terms of raw cost-effectiveness, buying a similar year Kat 750 and selling the Kat 600 is the most effective way of adding horsepower. Example: the price difference (used) between a 2k Kat 600 and Kat 750 is about $500 according to NADA price guides. There is simply no way that $500 worth of other upgrades will cause a 600 to out-perform the 750.

Cheers
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    as always, very good point, my only suggestion is what has been mentioned earlier, if you are going to keep it, go ahead and fix it up, if you are as dumb as I am, spend about $1500 and then sell it.
                    Big Cory
                    SBFMC 707
                    2005 Hayabusa

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
                      Alright thats it.. where's a busa engine!!

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Speed
                        Originally posted by SweetLou
                        Alright thats it.. where's a busa engine!!
                        If I had the money, it would be done.
                        Kan-O-Gixxer!
                        -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                        -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                        -Ohlins Susupension
                        -Various Other Mods

Comment

Working...
                        X