Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Did something Squidly....now I need to know what happened..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did something Squidly....now I need to know what happened..

Ok the title is a little confusing...Background...Coming home and a Ricer pulls up...Nissan, Honda..not sure..but she was cute...Long brown hair, pretty face, tight pink sweater ...oh man she was nice....she looked over and smiled...I knew it was on...at the Stop sign we both gun it..No traffic, no people and no cops...so it was "safe"(I know no such thing)...we get to the red light she looks over and smiles again...we went from light to light until I saw some road construction and decided if this continued it could get dangerous...at this point I decided to make a right hand turn ...well the bike started acting funny ....thought maybe I was running out of fuel because the bike sputtered and then stalled...well I switch to reserve and restarted the bike and it stalled...not only that but it wouldn't hold an idle..thought it was weird but then realized that I was stuck in 3rd....pulled the clutch in a couple of times but it wouldn't shift down...well I figured the only was to get going was to gun it and drop the clutch slowly...got the rpm's up and was able to take off in 3rd...got into 4th and then I was able to down shift back to 1st when I slowed down...went back into 1st and then shifted fine until I got to the gas station...filled up and made it home...noticed the bike was a little warm but what do I expect after the "abuse" I put my poor bike through...Ok now after this my question is:
    Is it possible to flood the engine while the bike is running (yes I know this is the least of my possible problems)...What else could have happened....I am going to let the bike rest tonight and see what happens tomorrow morning..hopefully no damage..I checked the oil when I got home and it looks full...just changed the oil a couple of weeks ago..
    Now I know I was stupid...please don't flame me...

With that said I expect it from my community here....
    Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
    Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

There are all sorts of bad things that could be wrong...but let's start with easy stuff:

When was the last time you changed your oil?

Is your clutch in good working order? Any issues with the springs?

Any strange noises from the transmission lately? Any difficulty shifting like you've described?

If we ever reach the point where we can't openly discuss riding bikes on acid without even a modicum of civility, then the terrorists have won.

HORSE BANG!!! ........props to *GP*

Official coefficient of friction test dummy

Comment

You came to the stop sign quick. If it happens again feather the clutch a little then downshift. It always worked for me.
      Live Fast, Die Stupid

05 GSXR-1000 70000 miles
      6.28 @ 122 in the 8th (short bike. 56")
      5.90 @ 127 in the 8th (long bike. 62") Its still got more to go.

Comment

Originally posted by BISQ
        There are all sorts of bad things that could be wrong...but let's start with easy stuff:

When was the last time you changed your oil?

Is your clutch in good working order? Any issues with the springs?

Any strange noises from the transmission lately? Any difficulty shifting like you've described?
        Last oil change was about 2 weeks ago... time before that was the original owner I bought it from...probably 2000k miles...I changed the oil because it hit 33K miles and wanted to have a good benchmark for times to change it...I ride only 8 miles a day from work to home and back..

Clutch seems fine but that was one of the things that came to mind...

No strange noises from the tranny..I need to pay closer attention next ride..
        Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084

Comment

Most importantly did hottie in the pink sweater see all this?
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

No...luckly it happend after the light turned green and she took off...I was waiting for your comment, KG....

Comment

Gawd, am I getting that predictible? I meant no offence by it

Comment

NOOOO...I did not take offense but I figured you would say something like...just like a guy...or aren't you too old to be doing stuff like that..or hey stupid did you learn your lesson...then I would have to come back and say...you're right I was stupid...

Comment

Nevermind! I would have raced some hot chick in a pink sweater too

Comment

Thanks for understanding...It really was a nice sweater and she wore it really well...

Comment

well lets see, if you always run your bike in the low rpm's like a car, it gets in a lil grove, it puts in a lil too much gas then not roming on it once in a while will let the carbon build up, thus when you got on it today it had the right amount of fule and tried to get all teh excess carbon or whatever left in the cylnder from easy riding out, it choked its self. another idea is that the carbs could have gotten stuck thats why stalled out, not that it kept pouring the gas in to the motor but in to the carbs, im sure its fine, my kat runs funny once in a while but its a 17 year old bike what do you expect

Comment

(A) What type of oil did you use (brand/weight/etc)?

(B) When is the last time you drained the gas tank? Condensation, baterial contamination, rust, etc can settle in the bottom and then slosh to the petcock when you started going & slowing quickly. Consider draining it at least every other year for this reason (every spring if you store it for the winter).

(C) Quit trying so damn hard -- she was in a cage -- you could have beat her without every straining the bike. Flirt more, race less.

(D) Check the clutch cable tension and see if it stops doing the tranny issue or not. Sounds like you didn't rotate the gear rotator mechanism all the way during the last shift... if that happens, clutch in (for a longer time), push in the same direction again. If it still doesn't go into that gear even with additional travel, head the other way for a one shift, then go back.

Good Luck! Hope you didn't bend a shifter-fork with your antics.

Cheers
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Or is the clutch cable maybe binding up someplace?
                          Kan-O-Gixxer!
                          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                          -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                          -Ohlins Susupension
                          -Various Other Mods

Comment

you didnt by chance knock the choke lever down into an engaged position? i know it sounds stupid really, but I did it once, doing nearly exactly what you did.

Comment

Hot girls in cars are road hazards. I tend to keep my face straight ahead to avoid being distracted. I live in a large college town (Univ. Tennessee) and had a few avoidable mistakes due to some big breasted girl in a jeep.

Go Vols! UT '05 Grad

Comment

Working...
                              X