Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
This topic is closed.
X
X

What does Harley need to do to get YOU to buy one?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

they are $$$$ - but if enough people are willing (stupid) to pay those high prices why in the world would you lower the price ?

tim

Comment

Originally posted by GSX1100FL
      It would take a miracle for me to buy one.
      +2
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Speed
        As long as they can still not keep up w/ demand by charging these outrageous prices, its only gonna get worse.
        funny you mention that, Harley is cutting production by 10% this year. I guess they would rather create less and keep the prices too high, rather than cut prices to sell more.
        Visit www.knee-draggers.com And sign up now!

Comment

What would it take???

For them to sell the HD brand to Suzuki.

And a million dollars too.
          Kan-O-Gixxer!
          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
          -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
          -Ohlins Susupension
          -Various Other Mods

Comment

it would take a free lifetime supply of oil. the nice thing is that you never have to do an oil change. the constant seep / top off cycles your oil weekly. if it only leaked oil filters.....that would complete the package..
            "I am better than dirt..well most kinds of dirt that is. Not that fancy storebought dirt- that stuff is loaded with nutrients. No way I can compete with that stuff..."

Comment

Of course lower the price , that goes without saying (though I just said it) . Make them quicker and as bulletproof as the metrics (leakproof :-k ) . And I don't really care for the "Harley style" so much , so style them differently . I kinda like the taller cruisers with shorter wheelbases (a la older Yamaha Virago or Suzi Intruder) more than the low and long crap . Is that asking too much ?
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by MIBagentQ
                grey hair
                I got the grey, and it ain't happenin'!

Comment

I was hoping Slim wouldn't get offended by this thread but it was a matter of time only.
                  The nature of the question begs the HOG bashing to begin.
                  That having been said I'll add $4.75 to my previous 2 cents. I think the Sportster is a great bike.
                  However:
                  Lets compare a 25K Harley to a 25K Ducati.
                  Unfair? Apples to Oranges? No.
                  I'm an engineer and artisticly inclined, I think the two can be compaired that way. Ignore that one is for canyon carving and one for long (or short) cruising.
                  In my opinion from an artistic and engineering viewpoint:
                  Ducati put some thought into every visable componant. From the shape of the exhaust to the welds of the frame it is clear that though perpose built, some artistic expression is made.
                  Use of colored plating, deep rich paints and exposing the carbon fiber helps to make sure even mundane items like case covers and gas tanks have an engineering and artisic apeal.

Charles DeFalco chose not a current H-D but an old custom when making selections for his famous Guggenheim show. I was agast as an engineer to see that the chrome trim on the back of a co-workers "big" Harley was not only mounted crooked and didn't match the contour of the fender but that it was silk screened with the black accent and not etched and painted. Large thick welds, over sized not overengineered brackets through out. Heavy, bland paint. Little alloy use. Over all design that implies the same art books have sat on the H-D design teams shelves for 60 years, if in fact there are still artistic designers there.

As an artist I would pick $25,000 worth of Ducati as worthy of display. As an engineer I would pick $25,000 worth of Ducati as something to strive for in my own designs. There is little elegance in a Harley. It appears more the work of a blacksmith then a machine in the age of CNC, composits and TIG welding. If it were not for the mystique and stone cold brand loyalty H-D would have gone the way of the Pacer. With the current crop of small custom shops out there and I'm not talking about Jesse James and those yahoos from New York, they may yet fade away.

Bottom line for me is that until H-D can match the engineering and design of an 8K bike and sell it for even 12-15K, they will never get me in the show room. All that is still being said without the type of bike they make or even the huge topic of horsepower entering into it.

Eric Buell got me half way there, he took the reliable, sexy and ledgenary
                  American V-Twin and wrapped it in road race hardware. I could buy one used for $4500, go canyon cruising, learn the secret biker handshake and not have to worry about pushing 1000 lbs with 75 HP. Why can't H-D with it's gabillion $$ high tech assembly plant and super computers do that?
                  Even without Eric, a sharp guy with an engine, a tube bender, bridgeport and welder could turn out a wicked road racer for under 8K. And he doesn't get the volume discount on screws and paint.

Slim asked why the price bothered you if it was she (them) that was paying it? It bothers me because the Emperor has no clothes..
                  And that needs to be said..

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                    Of course lower the price , that goes without saying (though I just said it) . Make them quicker and as bulletproof as the metrics (leakproof :-k ) . And I don't really care for the "Harley style" so much , so style them differently . I kinda like the taller cruisers with shorter wheelbases (a la older Yamaha Virago or Suzi Intruder) more than the low and long crap . Is that asking too much ?
                    Did you call me.

Sincerely,
                    Mr. Max
                    Attached Files
                    Visit www.knee-draggers.com And sign up now!

Comment

Buy a Buell...it's basically a HD..I like them and would consider buying one...if I had that type of money...
                      Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
                      Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
                      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

What will it take to buy a harley? Timing! When I am ready for one, I will get one....regardless of all the "blah blah" for the reasons not to. As far as the price....all I can say is it balances out. Pay $10k for a bike that is worth maybe $3k in 5 years....or pay $10-15k for a used HD that will get you pretty much $10k back in 5 years...or close to it.
                        When you consider how well HD holds it resale value, the bitching about the price kinda seems a little lame. An 05 Kat 750 has a msrp of $7K. What is it work in 5 years? $2-2.5? A $5k loss? You won't lose that on a decent shaped used HD.
                        Then when you consider the individuals who will buy a used kat, then sink $2-3k in mods into it, which is truly the biggest waste of money?
                        How many of you guys on here picked up a used kat for around $3k and stuck another $2k or so into it since you have owned it? How much do you think you will get for it? Surely not the $5k you have in it. Take Beekman's kat for example....a real beautiful machine for sure, and I am in no way knocking it....but I am sure he will be one of the first to tell you that he pretty much has to keep it because of what he has invested in it and will lose too much if he sells it. That is a case where you do it because you plan on keeping the bike. However, if he did all that to a HD, he would stand a good chance at getting most of his investment back.
                        I will admit, some guys go crazy with their HD's.....adding all kinds of crap to it...paying $2-3k for paint jobs, etc, etc.....but the strange thing is that someone is willing to pay the price to buy it. HD is just as much of an investment as it is anything else. More chance to get most of your $ back.If you think of resale value, a HD is pretty hard to beat. They are considered more of an investment than any other bike.
                        Anyway, what is this big trip on HD's this week? Is this "international HD bashing" week? lol
                        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Anyone see the XR1200 kit in this month's Motrocyclist or Rider?

THAT would get me on a HD.

Peter - great post. Very well said. +1 to all of that. Ducati's are nice because all of that form follows a definite function.
                          I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

There is little elegance in a Harley. It appears more the work of a blacksmith then a machine in the age of CNC, composits and TIG welding. If it were not for the mystique and stone cold brand loyalty H-D would have gone the way of the Pacer. With the current crop of small custom shops out there and I'm not talking about Jesse James and those yahoos from New York, they may yet fade away.
                            I don't think HD will fade away anytime soon. Many still crave the "work of a blacksmith", so to speak. Nostalgia if you will. I do agree on one thing though....they are overpriced, even if they do not depreciate too bad. I would never buy a new harley.
                            I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Another 35 years? I'm in riding for the performance for the meantime. If someone were to GIVE me one? I would sell it, and buy a Gixxer.

Comment

if i were looking for an "investment" i'd go to the bank. if i'm looking for a bike, that will depreciate like anything else you own, except maybe your house, i'll get something that will perform, not just sit there and look decent.

Comment

Working...
                                X