• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 600 rear shock EXPOSED

for the curious...

tim
    Attached Files

Was the new shock pretty hard to install Tim? I imagine it just requires a rear tire removal....what else?

Comment

Great job on cutting it open!

Question: now that you're looking at the insides of the old shock, what did you find? Were the seals in good shape or bad shape, was there something else amiss (or just worn oil), etc?

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by kickitjp
        Was the new shock pretty hard to install Tim? I imagine it just requires a rear tire removal....what else?
        nope - didn't even remove the tire. just removed the heel guards to gain access to the shock bolts.

[edit] i put the bike on the center stand and used a board 1/2 thick and a 2x4 under it to make a ramp. tap the 2x4 just enough for the board to touch the tire. remove the 2 nuts & bolts (14mm) then slide the 2x4 out to drop the rear tire to the ground. this should give you enough room to drop the shock out the bottom. reverse to install. then i removed the rear side panel to mount the remote canister.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
          Great job on cutting it open!

Question: now that you're looking at the insides of the old shock, what did you find? Were the seals in good shape or bad shape, was there something else amiss (or just worn oil), etc?

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          of course cutting it open ( not rebuildable ) puts a lot of debris in the oil so it's hard to tell. you would think that the shock would get soft over time & a lot of them probably do - but mine was very stiff so the oil passage ways probably got clogged. on some big bumps it would pop my a$$ of the seat.

tim

Comment

here's the piston - it looks bad - but probably from 'disassembly' the inner chamber that it slides in is clean.

tim
            Attached Files

Comment

It's probably too simple to add, but are you gonna add this to your site Tim?

Comment

Originally posted by kickitjp
                It's probably too simple to add, but are you gonna add this to your site Tim?
                maybe next year. . mounting the shock is easy but locating a good spot for the remote can is a bigger issue. i have mine up in the fender - the rear tire won't hit it but i'd rather put it on the tail frame - but the hose isn't long enough. i'll probably pull it back off come winter & have it rebuilt with a longer hose.

so i'll probably wait.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by trinc
                  on some big bumps it would pop my a$$ of the seat.

tim
                  I get that sometimes too . I didn't think my shock was all that bad though :-k . Got a GSXR1100 shock , just need to suck it up and send it to be rebuilt .
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Great work Tim.. thanks for the tips !!

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                      Originally posted by trinc
                      on some big bumps it would pop my a$$ of the seat.

tim
                      I get that sometimes too . I didn't think my shock was all that bad though :-k . Got a GSXR1100 shock , just need to suck it up and send it to be rebuilt .
                      generally riding down a road with 'issues' i couldn't feel the rear tire following the pavement - with this rf900 shock it's like a night & day difference.

from race techs website
                      " Race Tech's founder and chief engineer, has a favorite saying, "The best you've ridden is the best you know". "

get it rebuilt & bolt it up - you'll be amazed.

tim

Comment

Two questions plus one
                        where can you find a RF 900 shock
                        and if you rebuild the katana shock can you get close to a RF900 ?
                        What is the cost?
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KAT6
                          Two questions plus one
                          where can you find a RF 900 shock
                          and if you rebuild the katana shock can you get close to a RF900 ?
                          What is the cost?
                          e-bay or a motorcycle salvage / disassembly.
                          the katana 600 shock is not rebuildable.
                          & even if it was - NO it wouldn't be close.

the 750 katana has both compression & rebound damping but the
                          600 only has compression damping. i've never riden a 750 to see how
                          it feels.

cost - the RF & early gixxer shocks seem to sell for around $50-$100 depending on condition - a rebuild is $100-$150.

aftermarket shock on the cheaper end is like $550. i just got lucky and found my shock for $60 in great condition (3500 miles on bike it was removed from) i'll still probably have it rebuild at the end of the season.

tim

Comment

thanks I wouldnt mind upgrading for the gap.
                            sigpic

Comment

What shock fits in the katana 600 2000, is it a early gixxer model or any model would fit?
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X