X

new ( to me ) rear shock

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new ( to me ) rear shock

got out today to test the new RF900 rear shock. wow, i can feel the rear tire again ! the old kat shock has 15k miles and is long past due for removal.
    it's been said that the top of the shock needs filed down a bit but mine went in without any modification. it did raise the rear a little bit so i'll probably need to add 1/4" to the side stand.

the only drawback is that it really shows how bad the forks are.
    hopefully this summer i'll get cartridge emulators & springs.

tim
    Attached Files

I should have taken a pic before packing my shock in a box when tearing down. that shock looks alot smaller than mine....not that it neccessarily means anything. was that a direct swap, or did you have to modify anything? I have no idea what will fit mine, so I am just having it rebuil to my specs. It is about $130.
    I will be anxious to feel what you are feeling....a real difference in handling.
    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
      I should have taken a pic before packing my shock in a box when tearing down. that shock looks alot smaller than mine....not that it neccessarily means anything. was that a direct swap, or did you have to modify anything? I have no idea what will fit mine, so I am just having it rebuil to my specs. It is about $130.
      I will be anxious to feel what you are feeling....a real difference in handling.
      bolted right up - no mods ( other than i had to pull the rear side panel off - drill a couple holes to mount the remote can.

i also wanted to get it on so when i rebuild it i can custom order a new line so i can mount it were i want it.

tim

Comment

I want one<begging> I am going to do this also and the RF shock does basically bolt right up, as per Waltari. Great job, did you put this on your site?
        TDA Racing/Motorsports
        1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
        Who knows what is next?
        Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
        Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Where do you take them to get rebuilt?

I think mine may be due sometime later this year.
          Kan-O-Gixxer!
          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
          -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
          -Ohlins Susupension
          -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by lou
            Where do you take them to get rebuilt?
            I will have mine done through my dealer. They have a guy they farm it out to. He takes your weight, height, hp, riding style...all that into consideration...the re-valves the shock to fit your needs.
            I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by THAZKAT
              I want one<begging> I am going to do this also and the RF shock does basically bolt right up, as per Waltari. Great job, did you put this on your site?
              No. i didn't take any pictures - maybe i'll go back and shoot some.

tim

Comment

Tim, are you still having any problems with the rear height being too much? What did you decide to do with the front? I just got a 2nd Generation Bandit Shock really cheap, so I'm gonna stick that in and see how it feels.

Comment

Originally posted by kickitjp
                  Tim, are you still having any problems with the rear height being too much? What did you decide to do with the front? I just got a 2nd Generation Bandit Shock really cheap, so I'm gonna stick that in and see how it feels.
                  i made a longer set of bones ( too long ) dropped the seat too far - so i made another set and i have it pretty much where it started. for the +98 the stock dogbones are about 7.5 " on center after adding the RF shock i put in 7.75 " bones.

( i just made mine out of 1/4 sheet steel & painted them black )

tim

Comment

What year rf900 shocks work and lets see some pics of the dogbones!

-Tyler

Comment

Working...
                    X