Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

new ( to me ) rear shock

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • new ( to me ) rear shock

    got out today to test the new RF900 rear shock. wow, i can feel the rear tire again ! the old kat shock has 15k miles and is long past due for removal.
    it's been said that the top of the shock needs filed down a bit but mine went in without any modification. it did raise the rear a little bit so i'll probably need to add 1/4" to the side stand.

    the only drawback is that it really shows how bad the forks are.
    hopefully this summer i'll get cartridge emulators & springs.

    tim
    Attached Files

  • #2
    I should have taken a pic before packing my shock in a box when tearing down. that shock looks alot smaller than mine....not that it neccessarily means anything. was that a direct swap, or did you have to modify anything? I have no idea what will fit mine, so I am just having it rebuil to my specs. It is about $130.
    I will be anxious to feel what you are feeling....a real difference in handling.
    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.




    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Mojoe
      I should have taken a pic before packing my shock in a box when tearing down. that shock looks alot smaller than mine....not that it neccessarily means anything. was that a direct swap, or did you have to modify anything? I have no idea what will fit mine, so I am just having it rebuil to my specs. It is about $130.
      I will be anxious to feel what you are feeling....a real difference in handling.
      bolted right up - no mods ( other than i had to pull the rear side panel off - drill a couple holes to mount the remote can.

      i also wanted to get it on so when i rebuild it i can custom order a new line so i can mount it were i want it.

      tim

      Comment


      • #4
        I want one<begging> I am going to do this also and the RF shock does basically bolt right up, as per Waltari. Great job, did you put this on your site?
        TDA Racing/Motorsports
        1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
        Who knows what is next?
        Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
        Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

        Comment


        • #5
          Where do you take them to get rebuilt?

          I think mine may be due sometime later this year.
          Kan-O-Gixxer!
          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
          -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
          -Ohlins Susupension
          -Various Other Mods

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by lou
            Where do you take them to get rebuilt?
            I will have mine done through my dealer. They have a guy they farm it out to. He takes your weight, height, hp, riding style...all that into consideration...the re-valves the shock to fit your needs.
            I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.




            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by THAZKAT
              I want one<begging> I am going to do this also and the RF shock does basically bolt right up, as per Waltari. Great job, did you put this on your site?
              No. i didn't take any pictures - maybe i'll go back and shoot some.

              tim

              Comment


              • #8
                Tim, are you still having any problems with the rear height being too much? What did you decide to do with the front? I just got a 2nd Generation Bandit Shock really cheap, so I'm gonna stick that in and see how it feels.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by kickitjp
                  Tim, are you still having any problems with the rear height being too much? What did you decide to do with the front? I just got a 2nd Generation Bandit Shock really cheap, so I'm gonna stick that in and see how it feels.
                  i made a longer set of bones ( too long ) dropped the seat too far - so i made another set and i have it pretty much where it started. for the +98 the stock dogbones are about 7.5 " on center after adding the RF shock i put in 7.75 " bones.

                  ( i just made mine out of 1/4 sheet steel & painted them black )

                  tim

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    What year rf900 shocks work and lets see some pics of the dogbones!

                    -Tyler

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X