Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Plastics (now with pics, resized for 56k goodness)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plastics (now with pics, resized for 56k goodness)

Alright, So the time has come to start getting the body damage on my kat fixed, new paint job, etc. Now, its tempting to try to do all that myself, but I'm lacking key equipment, like skill, tools, paint, money, and a garage. So, i'm gonna have to take it in. My right fairing is going to need to be replaced, and I've got a couple questions for the gang.

Has anyone tried some of the aftermarket fairings for the '00 Kat 600F? Any recommendations on where I can get one (besides Ebay, i'd rather have a brand new, primed, ready to go fairing then a beat up one i gotta fix. So, discuss amoungst yourselves..
    Thanks,
    Crack

Have you PMed specialk to see if he had any?? He might have some that do not need work?
    Just a thought.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

I've never seen any aftermarket upper fairings for the 98-05 Kats. Most people simply scan eBay for cheap ones, knowing that they'll probably need to be filled in and sprayed after they arrive (usually they are scraped up a bit, but not broken or scraped through). The dealer network also carries them (at very steep prices -- but they do come from the warehouse prepainted from the same assembly line that painted your bike originally).

I'd contact Keith (SpecialK) and scan eBay for replacements. I'd also take pictures of what you've got and send them to EmpireGP.com for an estimate -- they plastic weld and paint, and have done work for me in the past (my GF's ninja upper fairing).

How much is missing, or is it just that what's there is cracked all the way through?

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

all i can say is good luck
        Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder.

Comment

Hey Crack....when you take it in, let me know how much they charge. I am curious how much they get for a bike rolling in off the street with some damage/scuffing.
          I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Altight, so the damage is (and ill put up pics as soon as the 'ol girl comes back from the shop for the oil issue i was talking about earlier. At any rate, It has some serious rash on the upper right fairing, along with a quarter size chunk missing out around the top bolt that holds on the windscreen (near the mirror). Some scratches through the clearcoat near the mirror, and a chunk (about half inch wide, two inches long) missing out ot the narrow bar between those two holes in the fairing. I took it to a body shop, who said it would be cheaper and more cost efficient just to by a new one because of all the smaller damage that may result in more cracks later. Also, on the left fairing, there is a few minor scratches. There is a large (about the size of the base of a 12 oz soda/pop can) dent on the gas tank that has chipped a bit. Finally, the rear hand hold thing/rear wing or whatever you call it has a scrape on it.

So I took it to a body shop (a really good one) and the first words out of his mouth were "No disrespect, but besides the scrapes, thats a shitty paint job". He explained why a new fairing would work much better (he owned a shop that specialized in bikes (yamahas and hondas) for about 20 years). He said if I get a new fairing for the right side, he would sand/repaint all the plastics and tank (knock out that dent) and put a new clear coat on it, along with free decals (if I want) or a custom design for a few extra bucks for about 700-1000, depending on how much time the sanding took. I do have to say, the cars that come out of this guys shop look fucking fantastic, so I'm considering doing it. I'll post some picks of the damage as soon as I get my kat back.

Comment

I am fortunate enough to be able to do my own, but if I wasn't, I would find his advice good....don't bother with a fairing that has tabs or bolt hole issues. Those are stress points. It would not be cost efficient to do it unless you can do it yourself.
              At that price I am glad I can do my own, but I can say that if he can deliver a top rate paint job from what you described, I guess that is a fair price. I would want at least that if I was going to do it for someone. $700 minimum. It's dirty work with overhead. Try to offer him $800 and get a fender from ebay with the other $200. I say offer him $800 because $7-1000 can cost you $1000.
              A grand to get you looking sharp is fair, considerring the shape it is in now.
              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Im not skilled in body work or painting..but fortunately there are several on here that are so the advice you get will be first rate !

I had sweet lou paint some of my bodywork, I highly recommend him..but whatever you do, good grief, to use packing peanuts!!

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Speed
                  Im not skilled in body work or painting..but fortunately there are several on here that are so the advice you get will be first rate !

I had sweet lou paint some of my bodywork, I highly recommend him..but whatever you do, good grief, to use packing peanuts!!
                  Corey and I are quite booked, and that is a lot of body work that neither of us would do. No offense. Yes, we can do them, but it is just to much of a pain. And yes, do not send me packing peanuts, or else the address will read something like this...

"Your Discretlet Packeged Package From...
                  Shemale/Transvestite Fantasy Club"

Yes, I wrote that on Needs box that I shipped his parts back to him with. That will teach him to use peanuts!!!!
                  Kan-O-Gixxer!
                  -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                  -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                  -Ohlins Susupension
                  -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou

Corey and I are quite booked, and that is a lot of body work that neither of us would do. No offense. Yes, we can do them, but it is just to much of a pain.
                    Completely Understandable. And, I've kinda learned in my brief existence on this planet that doing business with "friends" for a "deal" is always a bad idea. If something is damaged in shipping or I don't like the paint job, I wouldn't feel comfortable yelling at either of you guys cause you've been so helpful. But Random guy at company A, i wouldn't feel so bad nailing his balls to the wall. But, aparrently the previous owner "Fixed" the bolt holes himself, and aparatently the old hole was about the size of a softball. This tells me that probably half my fairing is bondo *sigh*. As adventurous as I am, I kinda like the idea of just dropping her off, and comming back to a beautiful machine.

Comment

whare in missouri? I can do most all work. Plastic weld, paint, air brush, ect. We may be able to work out somthing. How bad is the plastic?
                      Live Fast, Die Stupid

05 GSXR-1000 70000 miles
                      6.28 @ 122 in the 8th (short bike. 56")
                      5.90 @ 127 in the 8th (long bike. 62") Its still got more to go.

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
                        Originally posted by Need4Speed

Corey and I are quite booked, and that is a lot of body work that neither of us would do. No offense. Yes, we can do them, but it is just to much of a pain. And yes, do not send me packing peanuts, or else the address will read something like this...

"Your Discretlet Packeged Package From...
                        Shemale/Transvestite Fantasy Club"

Yes, I wrote that on Needs box that I shipped his parts back to him with. That will teach him to use peanuts!!!!
                        I still cant understand why I got so many funny looks from the postmaster that day!

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKDEATH
                          whare in missouri? I can do most all work. Plastic weld, paint, air brush, ect. We may be able to work out somthing. How bad is the plastic?
                          I live in kirksville, but based out of st. louis. so either or of those. plastic is pretty bad though. Like I said, i'll have pics up soon enough (waaa, i want my bike back!!)

Comment

Oh, oil problem ended up being the sending unit. They gave me one for free (used) (without asking me first). So, here's hoping.

Comment

Working...
                            X